Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick PriceWaterHouse View Post
This is not TRUE! I just had one done for my apt. It is a temporary partition nothing is affixiated to my walls floors or ceiling, no damage will be done to the apt. Therefore no permit has to be pulled from the DOB its just like buying a piece of furniture. The landlord stated this information to myself personally.

I just wanted to say manhattanpressurizedwall.com did a fantastic job in my
Apt. and I am very happy with the work performed.
nothing is fixed to your walls, floors, or ceiling? so this partition just levitates?

trust me its illegal. if your LL doesn't care then hats off to him. a legal habitable room (bedroom) has to be 80 sq ft minimum with a ceiling height of 8 feet, and have access to natural light and air. if you dont meet these requirements you cant use it as a bedroom. also, if you're doing work in the room you now make it handicap adaptable, pursuant to local law 58 of 1987.

how much do you want to bet an inspector would give your apartment a violation if they came there?

i do this for a living trust me. i'm a project manager at a building code consultant firm, and before that i was a holdover case administrator for a landlord-tenant law firm. i have personally done cases where the landlord brought a holdover case against the tenant for putting illegal partitions in their apartment.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,724 times
My husband works in construction and just finished work on a luxury highrise in LIC. He would tell me how every day more and more young people were moving in and he couldn't figure out how they were paying the rediculous rents they were charging for such small apartments. Well he started to see, EVERY DAY, that manhattanpressurizedwall van show up to install walls into the apartments to split them into two bedrooms. This made me think, what would happen if there was a fire? Basically you are doubling the occupancy in the building. Wouldn't this cause some sort of safety risk? He also said the owners of the building knew about it and were ok with it.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
My husband works in construction and just finished work on a luxury highrise in LIC. He would tell me how every day more and more young people were moving in and he couldn't figure out how they were paying the rediculous rents they were charging for such small apartments. Well he started to see, EVERY DAY, that manhattanpressurizedwall van show up to install walls into the apartments to split them into two bedrooms. This made me think, what would happen if there was a fire? Basically you are doubling the occupancy in the building. Wouldn't this cause some sort of safety risk? He also said the owners of the building knew about it and were ok with it.
trust me its no good.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 42,453 times
Default C. of O. problem...

Hello-
We live in a co-op. We are building a 56 sq ft practice room with temporary walls and yet we're still being told this is a c of o problem. Any suggestions? What legal recourse can we take?
Thanks, Tanya

Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Co-ops are different. The laws and regulations that apply to rentals, to condominiums and to co-ops are all different.

Is someone going to live there whose name isn't on the proprietary lease? Are you subletting in the co-op?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,290 times
Check out the controversy (Wallgate) over at Stuy Town a few months back. The management -who had previously allowed tenants to use these pressurized walls -were told they weren't up to firecode due to airflow and they made everyone take them out. It was a huge disaster, not to mention a PR fiasco for Tishman-Speyer.

I once "converted" a one bedroom with beautiful white flowing curtains strung up on a traverse rod on the ceiling to partition off a part of my living room. A roommate slept there and could pull the curtains at night for privacy, but then open during the day to allow light into the rest of the apartment. It looked like a design choice as opposed to sectioning off of space. And because I had a daybed/sofa for the roommate to sleep on, it looked just like a regular living room during the day.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
People wanna split already closet sized units called studios into 2 bedrooms? Wow is all I can say - whether legal or not.

It's a sad commentary on the state of housing in NYC that people are moving into the overpriced units in LIC and splitting those units into several apartments. Quite apart from fire hazards, code violations, etc., one wonders if the price of living in the city isn't reaching that point where the benefits factor loses value. And believe me, I love this city, but people shouldn't have to live the way they are forced to in poorer third world countries.

This is the USA!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 AM

no subletting, no new people... just creating a practice space...

Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Check out the controversy (Wallgate) over at Stuy Town a few months back. The management -who had previously allowed tenants to use these pressurized walls -were told they weren't up to firecode due to airflow and they made everyone take them out. It was a huge disaster, not to mention a PR fiasco for Tishman-Speyer.

I once "converted" a one bedroom with beautiful white flowing curtains strung up on a traverse rod on the ceiling to partition off a part of my living room. A roommate slept there and could pull the curtains at night for privacy, but then open during the day to allow light into the rest of the apartment. It looked like a design choice as opposed to sectioning off of space. And because I had a daybed/sofa for the roommate to sleep on, it looked just like a regular living room during the day.
Can you tell me more about this? How did you affix the rod? Exactly what kind of rod is it?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,290 times
Think of those rods that used to hang in most living rooms twenty years ago where you attached "pinch pleat" curtains to them and then opened and closed with a set of strings. They attached with those little hooks. (Hard to explain - but if you google "traverse rods" you will see what I am talking about). But anyway, they make a type that you can attach to the ceiling. I found an adjustable one at my local hardware store. Just mount it to the ceiling (I hired a handy man from the hardware store, but all you would need is an electric drill and another person to hold the rod up) Then buy the hooks and and your curtains and voila! I bought lovely, silky cream-colored curtains that billow when they hit the floor and it is a really nice airy effect. PM me if you need further help...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City