Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM

204 posts, read 291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I would stick it out for at least six months and in the meanwhile, apply to everything that I could. There are often a lot of SW jobs so I think you'll find something else shortly.

Good luck. I've been there before, unfortunately.
Thanks. I truly planned on staying and making it work. But after the conversation my boss and I had last week, I just don't see how that is possible. I have an interview for another job today, so I'm really hoping things will go well. I'm prepared for what I need to say should they ask why I'm leaving so soon (by staying positive and focusing on why I want this job and saying nothing negative about my current job.) So, hopefully today will go well. If not, well, I'm stuck a bit longer.

It sounds bad, but it does make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has been in a situation like this. It's terrible that it happens, but it makes me feel less alone in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I know no job is perfect, but there's a huge difference between being unhappy at a job and being treated this way. I've also never had a boss where if there was an issue, it couldn't be resolved by talking. Talking here makes things worse (my boss is paranoid-and openly admits that.) Honestly, even if I said my fiancé was the president, I doubt she'd care. She just didn't get it.

I do love it here, and know that having a different job would make things so much better. No job is easy, especially in social work, but if I could be in an environment where I actually feel supported, it would just make things so much better. I've never understood why bosses don't understand that is what employees want... to be supported and treated well.
I've worked in many social work jobs in NYC
Only in 1 or 2 did I feel supported and valued.

Is it different in social work out of state?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
My boss won't leave, she gets too many perks here (like working half-days everyday.) Even she herself said she won't leave because no other job would allow her to do that.

Your boss is only there for half a day so i would stick with the job until i get a new one or you get fired.

What is it that you can't figure out?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
My father is a social worker, has been practicing nearly 40 years. He has worked in the schools, private practice, for the government and now currently the private sector. He has seen just about everything you could possibly see in the world of social work. He has stories that would make your head spin.

He told me what others have mentioned here- that often social workers have the same issues they treat. It's incredibly common, especially in certain areas like substance abuse. This can create a difficult workplace, absolutely. His last job was with the U.S. Post Office, doing employee assistance counseling. He had to counsel the workers after a mass shooting. His boss, no matter how perfect he was, was never happy with him. He was miserable and it was obvious. He felt like no matter what he did it was somehow flawed and wrong despite him being incredible at his work.

He kept the job and started networking like crazy. This is what I suggest you do. You do not want to be without a job. No matter how awful this all may seem to you right now, think of the stress of being in NYC and not having a paycheck. Most people don't get things right the first time. I myself went through a long string of jobs before I found the right fit.

In my Dad's case it all happened naturally and he now is a golf and drinking buddy of the CEO and has been told he has a job for life. And a promotion if he wants it (he doesn't). None of that would have happened hiding behind a computer throwing out applications. You simply have to get out there and find your right "fit". Some personalities simply mix, others clash. You have to find your right place now in your spare time. You have to draw a line in the sand, you have to demand respect. In my opinion, I would let your boss know your feelings once you have that next job lined up, in a professional way that is not threatening to her. You owe that much to yourself. You may even want to play devil's advocate, ask her how you can make improvements for your next position. That way it may come off better and you may even get a reference out of it. Remember she's a human being just like you. If you open up to her, chances are she will reciprocate. If she doesn't, view it as her loss. At that point, you won't care because you'll be thinking about that new job.

I would also suggest keeping full records and documents of any harassment if you feel it is legitimate. Record the dates and times of the incidents and consult with your attorney partner (lucky there). You have so many things in your corner right now you may not see. You are in a city you love (not everyone loves where they live). You have your health. You have a loving partner. You have your education and your experience. With all of these things going for you, I'd imagine you should find something rather quickly. Good luck!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-02-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
This.
Yes.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM

86 posts, read 119,743 times
Default keep looking

I would say, do not quit your job just yet. Deal with this impossible person while looking for another job. However, I do hope that these other job interviews give you am option to come in for an interview after work hours or else thus boss would know that something is up and fire you since you have only been there for a few months. It's almost impossible to find a decent paying job in nyc because everyone applies for them, just keep that in mind. In nyc you have probably atleast 100 resumes for every one job opening here. It's not like other cities. So just keep doing what you're doing and keep looking. I would not want to have a gap on my resume because it's hard to explain.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I would say keep looking as well and to put the job down on your resume even though it's only been four months. If you don't it'll seem like you've been unemployed for the time being and they're going to wonder why it's hard for you to find work.

I think if you put the job on your resume, you can always say something like, "The hours weren't right, or it was a temp position, or something to the effect that wouldn't patronize your chances of finding another job.

Anyway, I'm not in social work and unfamiliar with the field, but on a side note, I did date a social worker once and remember thinking what a nutcase that person was.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Could you go either to the area director or HR and explain that you love the company but for some reason things aren't working out with your boss? Maybe they could transfer you to another department?

However, it's never a good idea to ignore your boss just because you don't like negativity. That's feedback, and maybe your ignoring her is fueling the problem.

Could you leave it on the resume, and say offhandedly that there was just a mismatch of personalities?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM

204 posts, read 291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Could you go either to the area director or HR and explain that you love the company but for some reason things aren't working out with your boss? Maybe they could transfer you to another department?

However, it's never a good idea to ignore your boss just because you don't like negativity. That's feedback, and maybe your ignoring her is fueling the problem.

Could you leave it on the resume, and say offhandedly that there was just a mismatch of personalities?
During the interview today, they didn't even seem to care that I had only been there for a few months... I guess my explanation (as short as it was) was enough. Even if I do not get this job, it gives me hope that I will find something else, and that they won't care so much about the short time here.

I went to the area director, but that won't work as they are too close. My director is now copying the area director on every email, which is honestly fine by me. Her tone is very negative and made out to make me look bad (in every email, which I don't even know how that's possible to do!) but it also gives me proof of what I say back.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Anyway, I'm not in social work and unfamiliar with the field, but on a side note, I did date a social worker once and remember thinking what a nutcase that person was.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City