Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Just a question... Why do major American cities have such issues with EVERYTHING! Also New York City must have TONS in revenu from taxes they are either spending way to much on dumb things/ miss managing money or someone is stealing money. They should definitely have money for subway improvements. Doesn't everyone pay to ride it?
The fares are heavily subsidized like most public transportation systems in this country. Funds come from New York State, not the City. And if priorities were changed, enough money can be found for improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am not held up per se, but on the 6 line especially at rush hours there simply are too many trains running for the signals and line to handle.

Yes, the trains arrive more frequently, but once you get the thing is held at the station and or creeps along because of the number of trains ahead. Sometimes don't know which is worse; being left standing on a platform or on a train that isn't moving or doing so slowly.
When they ran the 7 train more frequently, it caused so much wear on the tracks that they had to shut it down more often for repairs. The improvements only created more problems.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
If I was the mta, they should do a feasibility study on curtailing service during late nights. Curtailing service can allow a much more fluid time to do quick cleaning and minor track repairs. At least shut the train downs from 2-30am to 5:30am on weekdays only.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-09-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If I was the mta, they should do a feasibility study on curtailing service during late nights, that can allow a much more fluid time to do quick cleaning and minor track repairs. At least shut the train downs from 2-30am to 5:30am on weekdays only.
You mean Fastrak?

I'm on the subway at 5am daily and often there are no seats left. That would be a big impact to many if you're talking systemwide permanently.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Held more than 5 minutes once on a trip = extremely rare

Held 5 minutes at EVERY SINGLE STATION = extremely common
my favorite lie is when I am waiting 20 min for a train to come at 9pm on a weekday....its finally comes... the conductor says there is train traffic ahead & we are hold by the station dispatcher. #!%#^&!#%^

Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

As for the MTA? The MTA operates at a loss every year. And is even in debt. Mta has more debt than some middle income countries. One of these days the MTA is going to ask the Feds for a bailout. Watch and see.
I see $10 fares first then fed bailouts. Just my guess

Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
You mean Fastrak?

I'm on the subway at 5am daily and often there are no seats left. That would be a big impact to many if you're talking systemwide permanently.
Its something that needs to be done. Most great cities of the world have their subways shut down at a certain time.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc33333 View Post
This city is way too big for the infrastructure we have. We're way past due on some significant improvements.
I read somewhere before that the city is actually nowhere near it's capacity.

The problem is the distribution of where most of the people tend to be at and the infrastructure there that serves them. Quite a few parts of the city are not crowded at all.

The trains might be filled to the brim in Manhattan but by the time they reach eastern Queens, southern Brooklyn or northern Bronx, there's usually lots of empty seats.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I see $10 fares first then fed bailouts. Just my guess
Federal government hates us. It is well known that we send more tax dollars to D.C. and gets the least back percentage-wise than any place in this country. This has been true for many years.

Thank god for Schumer. At least he tries to bring more of it back to this region.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Federal government hates us. It is well known that we send more tax dollars to D.C. and gets the least back percentage-wise than any place in this country. This has been true for many years.

Thank god for Schumer. At least he tries to bring more of it back to this region.

LIers also believe NYS hates us too. We send more than we get back....LIRR riders pay $12-15 a ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City