Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 7,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Many of us don't have decent grocery stores in our neighborhood so we don't get to just walk out the door and down the street to the grocery shop. My grocery stores are a train ride away, therefore I try to stop at them on the way home from work or after running neighborhoods in an area they are in so I won't always have empty bags on me to use.

I have a similar issue, but this is actually more of an incentive to use reusable bags with shoulder straps. Those ****ty plastic bags will dig into your hands in a minute if you have anything heavy.

If the stores get to pocket the 5 cents, then they better start giving us better bags for 5 cents, preferably ones which don't need to be double bagged. Nice handles would be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloxs View Post
I have a similar issue, but this is actually more of an incentive to use reusable bags with shoulder straps. Those ****ty plastic bags will dig into your hands in a minute if you have anything heavy.

If the stores get to pocket the 5 cents, then they better start giving us better bags for 5 cents, preferably ones which don't need to be double bagged. Nice handles would be good too.
I re use all the plastic bags I take home. I use them as my trash bags or to carry things in or whatever. I never just toss them out. So like other posters have said now I will either have to pay for the bags at the store or buy boxes of bags to use as my trash. It just seems wrong paying for bags to throw out your trash.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Myself and a lot of other NYers are already doing our share to reduce pollution/oil use by walking or taking public transportation. That's enough AFAIC.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:41 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Great even more $ to live in this city.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
What's so hard about bringing your own bags?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
It's really not a big deal once it happens. This has happened in several cities that I've lived in. Some of the responses in this thread are funny.

Stores won't accommodate customers for it once the laws change. You either pay the 5 cents a bag or bring your own. Once you start using reusable bags you also learn about how much groceries per bag you normally get, so you can guesstimate how many bags to bring with you on your next trip.

Most of the time when I plan to go to the store I carry one or two bags and up to four or more. Stores also credit you for bringing your own bags.

It's not a huge delay or inconvenience for them to ring up the amount of bags. It takes all of five seconds to count the bags you'll need.

If you forget your reusable bags you really don't mind the 5 cent fee per bag. You can still buy them and reuse them as garbage bags for your small trash cans and feel like you got your money's worth.

If you need more of these little bags for your trash can liners I've got loads of them stored in my cabinet that I can send you. lol

Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Myself and a lot of other NYers are already doing our share to reduce pollution/oil use by walking or taking public transportation. That's enough AFAIC.
That's a good start, but it's not nearly enough.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Great even more $ to live in this city.
It's ridiculous. Some say it's only 5 cents a bag but the COL and tax burden are so high it's already hard to break even or be in the black at the end of the month.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Anyone who shops at ALDI is aware that they already do this. So it is possible although inconvenient to bring one's own bags.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I use those bags for my trash can at home...they are the perfect size. =(
Then 5 cents a bag is a bargain compared to buying ones sold specifically for that purpose. Glad or Hefty garbage bags that size are going to cost you more than $5/hundred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
It's really not a big deal once it happens. This has happened in several cities that I've lived in. Some of the responses in this thread are funny.

Stores won't accommodate customers for it once the laws change. You either pay the 5 cents a bag or bring your own. Once you start using reusable bags you also learn about how much groceries per bag you normally get, so you can guesstimate how many bags to bring with you on your next trip.

Most of the time when I plan to go to the store I carry one or two bags and up to four or more. Stores also credit you for bringing your own bags.

It's not a huge delay or inconvenience for them to ring up the amount of bags. It takes all of five seconds to count the bags you'll need.

If you forget your reusable bags you really don't mind the 5 cent fee per bag. You can still buy them and reuse them as garbage bags for your small trash cans and feel like you got your money's worth.

If you need more of these little bags for your trash can liners I've got loads of them stored in my cabinet that I can send you. lol
Totally agree! Several cities/counties around the country already do this. Here in my area of Upstate, using reusable bags is far more common than not because people here tend to be frugal, and since we have a small population, we all feel the impact of rising solid waste disposal costs on our tax bills. Consequently, most people use reusable bags for at least groceries and/or recycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City