Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:45 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times

Advertisements

My experience, after living in Manhattan for over 20 years, was successful, single, young professionals don't consider race when looking for dating partners. Mixed race couples in the city with one partner being a minority or both partners of different minorities are very common.

Finding a desirable romantic partner is hard enough. Limiting partners to a narrow income level and/or skin color will severely shrink a single person's pool of potential partners.

Also, making friends in the city is hard. New resident New Yorkers tend to befriend people in the work environment. Working from home could be problematic for making new friends.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-12-2016 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My experience, after living in Manhattan for over 20 years, was successful, single, young professionals don't consider race when looking for dating partners. Mixed race couples in the city with one partner being a minority or both partners of different minorities are very common.

Finding a desirable romantic partner is hard enough. Limiting partners to a narrow income level and/or skin color will severely shrink a single person's pool of potential partners.

Also, making friends in the city is hard. New resident New Yorkers tend to befriend people in the work environment. Working from home could be problematic for making new friends.
Sad but true, very hard to make good friends outside of work as you get older, unless you're an attractive girl and guys try to befriend you to get in your pants. And OP has a racist /black pride undertone with this thread by stating black professionals should only date with other blacks.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:09 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Per my observation, over 50% black professionals date/marry inter-racially. That may explain why it is relatively more difficult for a single black professional to find and date another black professional.
True, aside from the white male/Asian female coupling, second most common that i see when im out are blacks in interracial relationships.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM

861 posts, read 852,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well then all those families/persons with one, two or more kids in Manhattan must be multi-millionaires.

You cannot get away from infants, children and teenagers in Manhattan today. The streets, schools, subways, museums, etc... are full of them so someone must be doing something right.
Eventhough you are being sarcastic that is the case. Think about it a nice 3 to 4 bed apartment, car, help, partner who usually never works full time and kids in private nursery or school, yes they are millionaires as a minimum.. Even with a rent controlled flat living expenses would hurt you as a young couple with kids..

Its always clear who the old residents of a wealthy area are, although well turned out they usually have older cars like old european sedans (in immaculate condition but still old) compared to the newer wealthier residents..

Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM

223 posts, read 255,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
Ok, please hear me out. I've been reading the comments on this website for a while before deciding to create an account. Based on the average rents in the desirable parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, the rents are high. A one bedroom in a doorman building is anywhere between $3500 - $4100, and of course the building usually requires that you make at least 40 times the rent. This means that to qualify, you need a household yearly income of at least 140K - ~165K. This is certainly NOT a lot of money, for a professional couple, who more than likely each make a 6 figure income. This has been my biggest issue with deciding whether to relocate to NYC. I work from home and earn a six figure income, but since I'm single, I do not have the same renting power as a professional couple.

I know this is a bit off topic, but as a single professional black woman, I find it disturbing that there's a scarcity of young black women and men working together to ensure a good standard of living in NYC. Just my 2 cents.
It's quite common that professionals who make combined incomes of $200K+ are more interested in purchasing a home rather than rent. I would rather have a mortgage of $3K in New Jersey or Long Island than spend $7K a month on rent in Manhattan/Brooklyn, in a small apartment that's overpriced with no parking. I'm 28 and it's not quite simple finding single professional black men with incomes of $100K+, so for me as I date "inter-racially" the concept of "working together" never seemed to be an issue.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
1. Not all professionals clear 6 figures in this city. You do if you're lucky.
2. Manhattan is not desirable for everyone. Because not only is rent more, so is everything else, like groceries. It's also more crowded and noisy.
3. You're forgetting taxes eat 35% of your paycheck here in NYC. Making more money also puts you in a higher tax bracket.
4. That 40x rent rule takes pretax into account. After taxes, the rent is now 45-65% of your take home pay.
5. Like others have said, once you're in the 6 figure and up bracket, you want property, not rent. I would sooner move to Jersey before moving to Manhattan.
6. Only people new to NYC are obsessed with the idea of living in Manhattan (or a hip part of Brooklyn). The rest of us know better.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Goldman Sachs recently released demographics of US workforce. It provides a window into corporate America and the lack of black professionals.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:42 PM

61 posts, read 48,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
26k/10k households in NYC is not that much relative to a population of 8 million. I'm quite sure DC has nowhere near 8 million folks. Central city I'm assuming is NYC and that goes to show NYC is not preferable to dwell in as only 10k of the 36k (27.8%) are in the central city.
..because DC (like Chicago, Atlanta, etc) have a much higher percentage of black households. You're looking at the total population, rather than the black population.

NYC is many times larger than Washington, DC area yet NYC only has 400k more black households....

Total Black Households
New York 1,237,437
Washington DC 785,200
Chicago 604,712
Atlanta 587,899
Philadelphia 444,046
Los Angeles 441,124
Detroit 410,863
Houston 340,739
Miami 334,989
Dallas 315,510
Cleveland 197,448
St Louis 187,970
San Francisco 185,356
Charlotte 180,175
Raleigh 137,039
Boston 132,485
Orlando 123,258
Greensboro 119,557
Birmingham 119,329
New Orleans 104,486

Point is, NYC has the highest % of wealthy black households after DC. It has way more and a higher proportion of wealthy blacks than any other region in the county.

And the income stats I posted under that chart is from the latest Census survey (2013).

Percentage Of Black Households Earning $200,000+,

DC: 2.7%
NYC: 2.1%
Atlanta: 1.3%

Last edited by jamezz; 05-12-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 04:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Why don't black professionals join together...etc, etc?
Simple: black people join together only to protest against white people/ establishment, etc, etc. If the black community could come together for constructive purposes, the whole community would be in a different place today.

Manhattan: it's no coincidence that so many singles live in the city. For families (even with 150,000 income) it's no way. Unlike in suburbs, in the city you will send your children to private schools.
Car: yes, you can do without, but you will find yourself not getting away very much. Family and friends living out of city limits aren't going to see you a lot. Same thing with shopping.

Additional expenses: in the city you are likely to spend much of your income on things you won't if not living there. A burger will cost you twice as much as in suburbia. Same with a pair of shoes.
True. But coming together for constructive purposes doesn't have to be limited to other Black people. I can work with people of ANY race for constructive purposes.

There certainly does need to be more coming together for constructive purposes, but this is not just limited to Black people either.

Considering the economic conditions we're facing, those who are not able to work with others constructively will find themselves in rather dire circumstances.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Not to mention, it's all fine and dandy - until you decide to have kids. I know too many people who packed up and moved out of the city and some the state after either getting married or having kids. Simply because it is insanely expensive to raise a child here. Can it be done? Sure. However professionals are going to want good schools and child care and none of that comes cheap here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City