Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Of the closest people I know in NYC who hold 'professional' jobs-

One is a HR Manager (Bachelors Degree)
One is a Program Director at a Large Non Profit (Some Graduate School Competed)
One is in Application Sales (Bachelors Degree)
One is an Art Director (Bachelors Degree)
One is a Teacher of 8 years (Masters Degree)
One trains schedule support systems to doctors offices. (Masters Degree)

Only the Art Director makes a 6 figure salary.
All of the people I've alluded to are white, as it's been brought up in the post.

I think few industries are as generous as some make all 'professional' industries out to be in New York.
Certain fields pay absolutely pathetic compared to other big cities with much lower COL.
Very few professions would allow someone in their 20s to make 6 figures.....doctors, bankers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
P.s. I forgot to add. The majority of the young (28 and younger) educated, six figure earning, bachelors that I met also (the black ones ) are not trying to move in with a chick and go half on the rent. They are completely enjoying the dating scene. So a female still wouldn't benefit (financially and residential options wise) by dating them anyways lol.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
This data is from 2010, but it says that for NYC, 42% of the non-Hispanic White households were earning more than $100K while the percentage is 22.8% for non-Hispanic Black households and 19.1% for Latino households. Asians households were at 30%.

http://clacls.gc.cuny.edu/files/2014...-1990-2010.pdf

So I am not sure if it's just a matter of being in a couple or not...

If you see that as a sort of Black upper income professionals vs the rest of the world, it will never receive the correct attention. Bear in mind that diversity is very hard to achieve, even within the same ethnic group, i.e. non-Hispanic White who are wealthy do not necessarily even want to share a neighbourhood with those who might be less well financially, for many preconceived reasons. And it always takes time, much longer than what you would like.

I would simply believe that people are still fancy of the idea of living well together. If you're a Black "pioneer" in UES, maybe the looks people give you can be uncomfortable. And therefore, you end up with some Black people having to do much more to be "accepted", such as dressing better (if they have the taste and style for it), drinking wine (that one is surreal but my co-worker, of course Black, had to drink wine to differentiate himself from the other "typical" Blacks)...

So it's a long way in my opinion. Instead of trying to get settled at all costs in UES, Tribeca or Chelsea, right now, I would think it would be more powerful to improve the overall Black's education success rates, especially for Ivy League schools, and try to market more successful stories based on business and/or education rather than sports only. This way, the public image will be much better and hopefully, things will move in the right direction.

Remember, revolution, is always painful, and not always fruitful. The French paid a big price for it. It took them 100 years and multiple conflicts to get used to the idea of Republics. Evolution is the better way, despite the longer period it needs.

The other part your post fails to mention is that, whether my wife works or not (she does not in my case), I want a 2 bedrooms now, not a 1 bedroom. That was to get started only but it's not very useful when you want a kid, and good buildings will never allow you to raise a child in a 1 bedroom. So you need to re-do the calculations.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:47 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I live in Phoenix and can't say that I have plans to remain in Arizona for much longer. I LOVE NYC! I'm not interested in living in the South, Midwest, West Coast or New England.

Have you actually lived in NYC? Is this something that you have witnessed first hand or are you relying on what your friends say? People who actually line in NYC are telling you that after a while living in 'trendy' neighborhoods suck- too much noise, people and high rents, etc. What might be trendy to you- Chelsea and Tribeca may not be what is trendy in NYC- the outer boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens are really hot now.

As someone said, people in this age bracket aren't commanding 6 plus figures as a salary. Have you accounted for taxes and all the other things that affect your paycheck?

And maybe, just maybe such networks do exist between young black professionals in NYC but because you live in Phoenix and your friends who live in NYC may not be a part of them you think that they don't exist.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Even if I was making 200k a year I wouldn't want live in Chelsea or Tribeca

Old 05-09-2016, 01:04 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Even if I was making 200k a year I wouldn't want live in Chelsea or Tribeca
Let's not say that, with $1M yearly income, a good place in Manhattan can be very nice too. Schools are a very specific problem but you can figure it out.

I think it's really a matter of taste just.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Very few professions would allow someone in their 20s to make 6 figures.....doctors, bankers.
not doctors. Most are still in med school in their 20s....they probably have six figure debt and then some

Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I'm referring to younger black professionals, not the mid 30s, middle age group. For those of us in our 20s, what's wrong with living in Manhattan for a few years? I don't understand what the obsession is with having a big house in the suburbs. I'm in my 20s and own a 4 bedroom home that I'm trying to sell. If it doesn't sell soon, I'll have to rent it out.
Because until the 1990s or so many Black people simply didn't have the capital to move to the suburbs, so suburbs are still seen as a sign of economic success to many.

I always was curious why NYC didn't develop a Black professional scene, but upon further inspection I think the truth is many Black professionals simply mix into the wider upper crust culture rather than form a separate venue. Interracial dating is big here among upper class folks so not all professional black men are going to be necessarily grouping around professional black women. In fact, you may receive quite a lot of interest from European men.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Let's not say that, with $1M yearly income, a good place in Manhattan can be very nice too. Schools are a very specific problem but you can figure it out.

I think it's really a matter of taste just.
I would love to live in Manhattan, just not in a place like Tribeca

Old 05-09-2016, 01:32 PM

39 posts, read 50,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
P.s. I forgot to add. The majority of the young (28 and younger) educated, six figure earning, bachelors that I met also (the black ones ) are not trying to move in with a chick and go half on the rent. They are completely enjoying the dating scene. So a female still wouldn't benefit (financially and residential options wise) by dating them anyways lol.
Are you stating that white professional men are more likely to commit and go half on the rent, but black professional men won't? Let's not be so quick to throw around stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City