Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 AM

109 posts, read 95,174 times

Advertisements

Here are some basic rules of the road that are ignored by so many in NJ/NYC.

1. Don't block intersections, wait for both your green light and the box to clear
2. Don't block car park exits
3. Don't honk excessively in traffic, it won't move faster
4. Don't be overly aggressive with cyclists and pedestrians in Manhattan. You choose to drive in Manhattan, you got to expect the unexpected
5. Give the cyclist a little bit of room, I always give a little bit more room to them than others do. I'll be stuck at the next red light anyway, so no point in rushing past them and honking the horn
6. Don't panic if someone is honking at you at lights for no good reason. I saw a guy panic and switch lanes due to honking and it caused a crash

Why are so many drivers not able to just chill out and drive safely in NYC/NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
we give up , why ?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Because of traffic and other aggressive/inconsiderate drivers, it can get the best of us.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Transplants made traffic even worse than before. Before transplants came in huge waves, most NYC drivers move quickly and know where to go. Now you have these transplant drivers that don't know where to go, they give courtesy when they shouldn't be and hold up traffic when they flinch or indecisive. You have delivery drivers that are honking to no end because they know where to go and being held up by all the indecisive and slow transplant drivers. I've seen atleast 3 accidents over the weekend all because of transplants getting rear ended or side swiped by lane changers.

One thing I know that hasn't changed in NYC is survival of the fittest. If you don't move along you will get left in the dust or shoveled aside by other drivers. Same goes with anything in NYC.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
The honking when the light barely changes from red to green is very annoying.

I also hate when I'm waiting at a light and some ******* squeezes in to the right of me even though he (9 times out of 10 its a he) is not turning right.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,983 times
NYC is not a car town. it just isn't. We have some of the worst drivers in the nation, in my humble opinion.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
I think the only peaceful driving areas remotely close to NYC will be somewhere well north into Westchester County along the Hudson River & probably beyond. The closer you get to the city within the Tri-State area the crappier the drivers are.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
#7 Dont change lanes when you are parallel to the driver you're trying to drive ahead of
#8 don't be an ass and skip the lines on highway exits
#9 Don't double park in a narrow street and impede traffic flow

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
Here are some basic rules of the road that are ignored by so many in NJ/NYC.

1. Don't block intersections, wait for both your green light and the box to clear
2. Don't block car park exits
3. Don't honk excessively in traffic, it won't move faster
4. Don't be overly aggressive with cyclists and pedestrians in Manhattan. You choose to drive in Manhattan, you got to expect the unexpected
5. Give the cyclist a little bit of room, I always give a little bit more room to them than others do. I'll be stuck at the next red light anyway, so no point in rushing past them and honking the horn
6. Don't panic if someone is honking at you at lights for no good reason. I saw a guy panic and switch lanes due to honking and it caused a crash

Why are so many drivers not able to just chill out and drive safely in NYC/NJ?
Because driving in New York is a competition. The driver that gets to their destination first is the winner. All others are losers.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
NYC is not a car town. it just isn't. We have some of the worst drivers in the nation, in my humble opinion.
You are either an aggressive or defensive driver in NYC. There's no acting all entitled like transplants that think you can drive whatever speed you feel like and impede others, if you do so you will get run over and get into an accident.

Every NYer who impede traffic will get hit by somebody, it's inevitable. Eventually they'll learn to speed up or get run off the road by some crazies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: