U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 PM
 
816 posts, read 430,963 times
Reputation: 987

Advertisements

Typical liberal tricks to further their liberal agenda...don't let the other side's viewpoint get the light of day and flood the air waves with our propaganda and narrative to brainwash folks to believe what we want them to believe. See how that works?

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

Senate Republicans Want Face Time With Facebook Over Trending Topics 'Bias' - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,508 posts, read 18,844,804 times
Reputation: 8095
I find this highly unlikely, but support an inquiry as quickly and efficiently as possible if only so we can get back to more important topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,956,927 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Typical liberal tricks to further their liberal agenda...don't let the other side's viewpoint get the light of day and flood the air waves with our propaganda and narrative to brainwash folks to believe what we want them to believe. See how that works?

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

Senate Republicans Want Face Time With Facebook Over Trending Topics 'Bias' - NBC News
Does this surprise you? To me, the only surprise is that it's being covered and some people find it surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 PM
 
292 posts, read 181,128 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Does this surprise you? To me, the only surprise is that it's being covered and some people find it surprising.
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me at all. I really would have been surprised if Facebook had been making a concerted effort to be unbiased towards conservatives, libertarians, and moderates. Progressives have become increasingly radical and intolerant of other viewpoints. They control the universities, much of the popular culture, and increasingly, corporations. I believe that progressives in the next few years will impose a soft form of censorship, which will eventually evolve into full censorship in the long term.

That said, I disagree with forcing Facebook employees to testify before Congress. Since Facebook is a private company, they have a right to run their business however they see fit as long as they are not violating anyone's rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
2,270 posts, read 1,046,499 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
That said, I disagree with forcing Facebook employees to testify before Congress. Since Facebook is a private company, they have a right to run their business however they see fit as long as they are not violating anyone's rights.
That's my thinking. Does facebook have an obligation to be unbiased? I would say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,956,927 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me at all. I really would have been surprised if Facebook had been making a concerted effort to be unbiased towards conservatives, libertarians, and moderates. Progressives have become increasingly radical and intolerant of other viewpoints. They control the universities, much of the popular culture, and increasingly, corporations. I believe that progressives in the next few years will impose a soft form of censorship, which will eventually evolve into full censorship in the long term.

That said, I disagree with forcing Facebook employees to testify before Congress. Since Facebook is a private company, they have a right to run their business however they see fit as long as they are not violating anyone's rights.
Progressives must silence the opposition (i.e. us) b/c their ideas are bankrupt and fail every time they've been tried. Just look at NYC and NYS as just one example (of many).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:16 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,956,927 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
That's my thinking. Does facebook have an obligation to be unbiased? I would say no.
I'd oppose this as well.

Perhaps Congress could work on things that would help us, such as tax and regulatory reform and securing the border? Nah... that'll never happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 PM
 
816 posts, read 430,963 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I find this highly unlikely, but support an inquiry as quickly and efficiently as possible if only so we can get back to more important topics.
Don't down play this. This is an important topic. A very important in fact since 70% millennials and 40% of baby boomers get their news from social media as such Facebook. If you open up your new feed and only see liberal propaganda trash, one would think the propaganda being posted is legit and when most of it is total leftist trash.

Unless you're a libturd, suppressing conservative news and not allowing it to see the light of day is a big deal. Not to mention Mark Suckerberg is an Obama cheerleader. The anti-conservative bias is real. Just like the IRS was targeting conservatives. Its a witch hunt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 PM
 
816 posts, read 430,963 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post

That said, I disagree with forcing Facebook employees to testify before Congress. Since Facebook is a private company, they have a right to run their business however they see fit as long as they are not violating anyone's rights.
If Facebook is not going to remain neutral and favor liberal progressive trash then it should publicly announce their allegiance to the left. Full disclosure. If they publicly announce their allegiance to the left then I'm ok with that. But if they don't then people who are oblivious to whats going on will take Facebook's post as gospel not knowing there is a political component to their propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,508 posts, read 18,844,804 times
Reputation: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Don't down play this. This is an important topic. A very important in fact since 70% millennials and 40% of baby boomers get their news from social media as such Facebook. If you open up your new feed and only see liberal propaganda trash, one would think the propaganda being posted is legit and when most of it is total leftist trash.

Unless you're a libturd, suppressing conservative news and not allowing it to see the light of day is a big deal. Not to mention Mark Suckerberg is an Obama cheerleader. The anti-conservative bias is real. Just like the IRS was targeting conservatives. Its a witch hunt!
Are you kidding me? Do you have conservative friends on facebook? I do. What is the anti-conservative bias if I'm seeing endless streams of conservative news articles trending and being virally shared on my feed?

Also, have you considered how this makes sense in terms of Facebook's business model? Facebook is actually a company--what you're talking about would make absolutely no sense as part of their business model. To try to suppress usage? To try to make viral engagements less viral? Do you think Facebook is run as a charity or something?

There's no verification of these allegations and I would be highly in favor of speeding up this inquiry, so in that sense, I'm on your side. However, I'm on that side, because I think it's likely ridiculous but is a wonderfully huge talking point to go on and on about while the actually many more important issues, some of which are comparatively quite boring, can get on more quickly as this clickbait crap quickly gets resolved. Big headlines, no verification, and you're going on about suppression and trying to make bad "hurtful" puns prior to any actual court proceeding. Are you saying that you are in support of witch hunts in general or something?

Now, all of this comes after first establishing under what law does this come under where Facebook as a private company would need to go in for an inquiry in the first place? Does basically any website or forum that does any kind of analytics, content management or curation, etc. need to be governed by the Federal government in that specific of a manner? Are you not asking for a very large overreach of the federal government and an expansion of its powers in this way?

Keep in mind, I don't think this is really happening because it would be really antithetical to their business model. But on the radical stretch that it is, are you really comfortable asking for a significant expansion of government oversight in private business practices that are not illegal but might rub some politicians the wrong way?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-10-2016 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top