Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI2016 View Post
Where can i get a cat? I prefer a baby kitten so i can learn to not be afraid of it and love on it as a baby...than as it gets bigger i wont freak out.

My mom has two cats and i like her one cat named tee tee . She's a sweet cat. She just likes to rub her face on you . I would like a baby kitten .
Try

anjelliclecats.com

They are a full rescue here in NYC. All the cats stay with hosts in a house/apartment until they get adopted. Great cats and you'll be saving a kitty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Reading your post gave me the willies, heebie jeebies and lord knows what else - not the mice but the huge palmetto roach problem. I can't even see one on the street, I'll literally cross over to the other side. They are the most repulsive creature on the planet, i'm sorry to say!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Rescue a cat from New York City Animal Care and Control. It's a high kill shelter, adopting from one will save the kitten's life. Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC)

Old 05-11-2016, 02:25 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I agree with the advice to check Yelp and other online reviews and hire your own exterminator.

Also, not all cats are "mousers." So if you get a cat for that purpose, you may be disappointed.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:30 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Have said this before; the ASPCA and most other respectable shelters, adoption or whatever places will not give you a cat if you say it is wanted to deal with rodents. They might even give you a lecture and push you out of the door with a foot print on your behind.

Not all cats are mousers and even less ratters. Also even the best cat cannot eliminate an established rodent problem in a structure especially multi-unit housing.

Rodents have been preyed upon by cats for centuries, if the latter were successful at eliminating the former then you wouldn't see any mice or rats, but we know that isn't the case. Rodents actually breed *MORE* in the presence of cats which makes sense; it is nature's way of an overwhelming response.

Studies after studies going back hundreds of years have shown where cats or other predators are introduced to an area to rid it of rodents (farm, barn, house, etc....) at best you may *see* less of them, but that does not mean they are gone. When researchers went looking and or set traps they found plenty... The rodents just adapted to having a predator in the area.

If you live in a home that was previously rodent free then yes, a cat can help or even prevent an infestation by catching the odd rodent or rodents before they take hold. But once you have a serious infestation then the only thing to do is get a good exterminator.

In apartment buildings people often claim they don't see or have seen a mouse since they got a cat. This may be true but that does not mean the things aren't in the building or even the apartment. They just get good at avoiding the cat.

Read a story online about a guy whose house was infested by mice. He put down bait, used cats, etc.. and thought the problem was solved. A few years later during a kitchen renovation the cabinets were taken down from walls; it was then he saw all those mice holes (some fresh) and realized the things were still there all along.

NYCHA like many NYC landlords cheaps out when it comes to exterminating. In order to eliminate rodents there must be a top to bottom plan in place to rid the entire building. Otherwise the things just move about between apartments.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
I googled a pic of the kind of radiator it is...it's this one only a bit higher off the floor
I have a radiator like that, you can take off the front and then check the floor, walls for holes. Any hole even the size of a marble one can fit through so make sure the holes are sealed well. I recommend using cement.
Also check by your stove and see if there is a hole from the wall to where the stove was installed. I had a tiny hole there once and I got an unwanted visitor. I frequently check area of my apartment to make sure things stay sealed and no one come in.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM

30 posts, read 51,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I have a radiator like that, you can take off the front and then check the floor, walls for holes. Any hole even the size of a marble one can fit through so make sure the holes are sealed well. I recommend using cement.
Also check by your stove and see if there is a hole from the wall to where the stove was installed. I had a tiny hole there once and I got an unwanted visitor. I frequently check area of my apartment to make sure things stay sealed and no one come in.

Maintenance just came over. He admitted they live in the radiator than he refused to caulk anything. He said that wont solve itmand just lay out traps because there's nothing I can do. He said oh you caught one but there's more they travel in pairs.

He did absolutely nothing.

Im going to go to home depot today and buy caulk and more mouse traps.

Im also going to adopt a kitten from a kill shelter. I may adopt two so they can be friends.

I want the cat's presence to keep mice away but im also going to love and take care of the cats. My mom is over here visiting and she is telling me not to get cats but screw that.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Maintenance just came over. He admitted they live in the radiator than he refused to caulk anything. He said that wont solve itmand just lay out traps because there's nothing I can do. He said oh you caught one but there's more they travel in pairs.

He did absolutely nothing.

Im going to go to home depot today and buy caulk and more mouse traps.

Im also going to adopt a kitten from a kill shelter. I may adopt two so they can be friends.

I want the cat's presence to keep mice away but im also going to love and take care of the cats. My mom is over here visiting and she is telling me not to get cats but screw that.

There are exterminators who will do rodent proofing of apartments. We used Big Apple Pest Control years ago and they were great, but assume there are others. Big Apple Pest Control | NYC Exterminators

Basically what they do is a top to bottom examination of your place and seal any holes or other possible entry points for rodents. This can be coupled with laying of traps, baits and so forth to get rid of any vermin living in your place.

There is nothing rodent proofing by a professional does that you cannot do yourself, but they know how and where to look. For mice you *REALLY* have to find every single nook and cranny. We had to empty out closets, cupboards and move furniture. Those guys got down on their hands and knees with flashlights looking for spots of entry.

Finally I highly recommend getting a mouse zapper trap. As stated previously we had a problem several years ago. While holes were sealed there still were a few stragglers lurking about. Bait takes too long (and the sound of the bastards chomping down at night gave me the creeps), and they were avoiding snap traps (which had caught a good number). Within 24 hours after setting up the zapper that was that. Haven't seen another since.
Victor® Electronic Mouse Trap PRO | Electronic Mouse Zapper

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
How does the OP get rid of the palmetto problem though? Where do these roaches come from??

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How does the OP get rid of the palmetto problem though? Where do these roaches come from??

Again with that..... *LOL*

Those huge roaches are water bugs and often are found in damp areas, which in NYC usually means basements/cellars. During summer and or when it is very warm and humid for prolonged period of time they make way up from the basements to upper floors.

You see them outside during the summer in NYC coming up from the sewers and whatever. Of course in places where the climate is warm/moist pretty much all year long (like Florida) they are everywhere all the time. Here they really only become a bother again during the summer.

To get rid of them it is pretty much like mice; you have to seal up cracks, around pipes, etc... You can also try putting down boric acid, Roach Proof or other powders used to control crawling insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City