U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 8,508 times

Advertisements

Hello ,
I live on the first floor of a nycha apartment building. Living on the first floor is pure trouble. It's problem after problem . They did not inform me of any of these hardships prior to moving in or I would've definetly moved to a higher floor.

Im being terrorized in my own apartment. This apartment has a huge palmetto bug problem ( the super big cockroaches that mainly live in Florida) Everytime i turn around one is hanging from my ceiling about two inches big. Im having panic attacks seeing them . I kill around three a day.

Last summer I had a MAJOR mice infestation of epic proportions. I was beyond terrorized. Mice were everywhere. I haven't seen a mouse in my apartment in two years and of a sudden they were everywhere . They appeared in the summer time. I had a gut feeling they were coming from the heating radiators in my apartment. The big one that is attached to the wall and the long radiators that go from ceiling to floor.

I sprayed sealing foam on the outside of all of the ceiling to floor radiators on the bottom . It looked super ugly but i was desperate. Nycha came in and removed all of my foam during inspection even when i told them look i think mice are coming out of the radiators Not only did they remove it but they didnt even replace it or caulk it up for me ... they just ripped it out

Ive had no signs of mice in my apartment since winter and today they shut the heat off and about an hour ago im laying on my couch and a mice shoots across my floor. Coincidently today...Nycha shut off the heat to my apartment ....and now tonight im seeing mice... There just HAS to be a correlation .

Im so upset I said oh no not again...another summer of pure hell . Im afraid of mice . I almost had a panic attack but i pulled it together and set up two traps .

I just called the maintenance number and explained the problem I said look im pretty sure they are coming from the radiators in my apartment .

She said well if they are than they are most likely coming from the walls behind the radiotors so you probaly have countless mice in your apartment right now:cr ying: WTF lady....

I said well i need them to take this thing apart and find the holes and plug them up because I cant take another summer of this. She responded well they arent going to look for holes for you. You have to show them exactly where the holes are so they can fill them. I wanted to say well maam if i knew where the goddamn holes were i'd plug them up myself! How can i pull this fixture from the wall to look for holes when it appears that it cant get off the wall ?

The mouse ran DIRECTLY near the radiator and i threw a shoe in the direction and nothing moved so im assuming it climbed up the wall back into the radiator .

Ive had nycha exterminator out here. They gave me mice poison and that's it. Ive had maintenance out here last summer about the problem. He could give a **** less. He acted annoyed with me. Every crack in the wall i showed him he said oh there's nothing coming from there! He did absolutely nothing. NOTHING. He said oh set some traps and left .

I am willing to hire an outside exterminator. I just need someone to go around my apartment and thoroughly check and fill holes . Ive done it before myself but I didnt find any obvious holes so im at a lost as to where they are are coming from .

Do you know any exterminator like this that does the holes etc. Ive thought about Orkin but someone told me it's a waste they only set up traps they dont look for holes etc.

Im so upset...I cant sleep. I cant tolerate another year of living with vermin. They will not move me from my apartment . Ive been to the office so many times. They said nothing they can do.

I have section 8 so i can move out of nycha altogether however I lived in a regular apartment prior to nycha and i had a huge mice problem there too so im not sure moving will even fix things heck it may even be worse..

What can i do ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 18,364,993 times
How about getting a cat?

If that's not an option, go to Yelp and research exterminators. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones who will look for the source and not just lay traps around.

Here's the search for Brooklyn (you didn't mention your area but you can change the search location easily). Best Mice exterminators in Brooklyn, NY

Make sure you actually read the reviews and also realize there are fake reviews on yelp, like everywhere. So what I usually do is ignore reviews made by people who have made fewer than 5 reviews on the site.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 PM

I googled a pic of the kind of radiator it is...it's this one only a bit higher off the floor
Attached Thumbnails
Severe mice problem in NYCHA apartment...what are my options?-radiator.jpg  

Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How about getting a cat?

If that's not an option, go to Yelp and research exterminators. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones who will look for the source and not just lay traps around.

Here's the search for Brooklyn (you didn't mention your area but you can change the search location easily). Best Mice exterminators in Brooklyn, NY

Make sure you actually read the reviews and also realize there are fake reviews on yelp, like everywhere. So what I usually do is ignore reviews made by people who have made fewer than 5 reviews on the site.

My kids would love it if i got us a cat but unfortunately im afraid of cats. Im afraid of dogs as well. I've always have been. My mom has two cats and when my brother is feeling like being an ******* he will place his cat on me and i freak out. Once it crawled into my lap and the nails felt so sharp...

I have to really consider a cat ...I have to find a way to get over my fear because I cant keep living like this.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 818,755 times

EXCLUSIVE: NYCHA tenants, workers worried about rat infestation at Patterson Houses in the Bronx - April 6, 2016

Problem might be a lot bigger than you think.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 PM

OMG...one of the traps just went off. Holy ****... I was scared to go in and actually see the mouse etc. But what really held me back is the squeaking ....it went on for WAY too long. It was not dead . I tiptoed into the living room and mother of God the mouse was moving the trap ... It was only partially caught on its back and it was fighting to flee the trap. I was afraid of it fleeing so i tossed a glue trap near it and pushed the mouse on it with the broom handle so it couldnt flee...than i picked it up and tossed it in the incinerator.

I hate using glue traps and looking at it suffer . God...that thing cried so loudly . Its so cruel. I used a victor wooden trap. They usually kill the mouse in one snap but not this time Im glad it's gone though but i know there is more in here.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM

1,068 posts, read 601,715 times
Make sure you keep very clean. The worst offenders are food/dirty dishes in the sink or full trash cans. Keep them clean. Also, roaches love cardboard. Be sure to keep boxes out of your apartment.

Clean clean clean. It made a massive difference for us. We had mice and roaches. We swore to keep the place super clean and within a week, they were gone. Sure we get a visit every now and then, but no big deal.

Another problem is neighbors. I had a friend in Sunset Park Brooklyn whose next door neighbor had a big trash can out back that they would dump their left over food into! It was mouse/rat/roach heaven out there.

Summary: Keep your place clean and get a cat.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Yikes...holy ****... I may just bite the bullet and move out of nyc altogether. Me and my kids moved here 9 years ago and every apartment we lived in has had a mice problem.

I cant say it's only nycha because this is my first nycha apartment . I had them in a newly renovated beautiful apartment as well. The neighbors all said... oh you gotta get a cat

So I can't just say oh let me move out of nycha... I might end up with worse .

Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM

Where can i get a cat? I prefer a baby kitten so i can learn to not be afraid of it and love on it as a baby...than as it gets bigger i wont freak out.

My mom has two cats and i like her one cat named tee tee . She's a sweet cat. She just likes to rub her face on you . I would like a baby kitten .

Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Make sure you keep very clean. The worst offenders are food/dirty dishes in the sink or full trash cans. Keep them clean. Also, roaches love cardboard. Be sure to keep boxes out of your apartment.

Clean clean clean. It made a massive difference for us. We had mice and roaches. We swore to keep the place super clean and within a week, they were gone. Sure we get a visit every now and then, but no big deal.

Another problem is neighbors. I had a friend in Sunset Park Brooklyn whose next door neighbor had a big trash can out back that they would dump their left over food into! It was mouse/rat/roach heaven out there.

Summary: Keep your place clean and get a cat.
I admit im not much of a housekeeper. I get lazy sometimes and dont wash dishes and pots from dinner . I actually started deep cleaning yesterday and today and lo and behold...once i get everything spotless..mickey mouse comes out to play .

I will be alot cleaner from now on. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City