Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Some of the buildings in the Mott Haven pic are rehabs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Speaking of which, I may have copyrighted photos.....which is against forum rules.

If I did, Mods!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,710 times
None of those buildings on those pics were affected. Usually the ones that were are where you see those new 'suburban' type of homes and the one story retail that is found all over the place. It is more likely that there were older buildings before in those places that were burn down and then demolished.

I think some of those photos are mine anyway.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Sorry, Cyrusjul...I should have given you credit.

I think she was talking about buildings that were rehabbed. Not totally rubble but ones with missing windows etc...isn't that what NYCHA rehab means.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Most likely here (Mott Haven)...

Newish homes...

One story (and two stories) buildings on these pics.

You can see missing buildings here...

More on Mott Haven: Walking in Mott Haven, The Bronx - Wired New York Forum

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
That's what I meant.

I asked my mom about it. She didn't remember the Bronx ever burning until I showed her some pictures. She said she then remembered going to Yankee games with my dad in the late 70s and seeing the rubble in the neighborhoods around the stadium.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Sorry, Cyrusjul...I should have given you credit.

I think she was talking about buildings that were rehabbed. Not totally rubble but ones with missing windows etc...isn't that what NYCHA rehab means.
Oh I guess she means like these...

I guess it is hard to tell.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I think it would be easier to just take a time machine back to then and check it out LOL

Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,434 times
I think the Mott Haven buildings Super Mario posted look great. None of that is newer construction, although there must be large sections of Mott Haven that were re-built from scratch. The thing about the buildings north of Fordham Road were that they were originally built for the upper middle class whereas the South Bronx was traditionally a working-class neighborhood. Those apartments on the Grand Concourse are supposed to be very spacious and beautiful on the inside. There's not a ton of grafitti on the Grand Concourse, but I went to the library the other day and on Briggs north of there is full of grafitti. I don't understand why the owners aren't ticketed. I also don't understand why people grafitti their neighborhoods -- it's like **** where you eat.

I just saw your photos Cyrusjul -- great picture and perfectly illustrates what newer construction tends to look like.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
According to old time NYer's back in the 1930's and 40's the Bronx was known as "the sticks". Because there were many rural sections in the boro.

The architecture reflects the ecomonic status of the neighborhoods back then. The tenement areas of the South Bronx were always poor, the areas where the newly arrived immigrants came from Europe and black migrants from the south.

The large art deco buildings were where the middle class upwardly mobile people lived. If you lived on Grand Conconcourse or further west on University Ave you were somebody. You had made it. You were a success.

I am old enough to remember the fires. The fires burned down entire Avenues. Like Jerome Ave from the 160's - 170's, Boston Road, Prospect Ave, Fulton, Southern Blvd block after block. This took a period of years during the late 70's starting around 1974. Most of the time people knew the fires would come, word got out in time. People relocated to other areas of the Bronx or in other Boros. Rents were much cheaper all over so people could move more easily throughout the city, not like today.

Some areas looked like ghost towns. It was very depressing. Look at that old "The Message" video with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five remember that background that they are standing in front of, that old burned out building, it was blocks and blocks of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City