Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 43,136 times

Advertisements

First off we will be married when we move up there. Don't know how soon until we move up to manhattan but we're starting to get our feet wet.

I will have my degree in network engineering and she will have hers in radiography. We are both about to graduate and get some experience before trying to relocate. Are there areas that are better suited for our careers that would be a decent location for the both of us? Is there an area that has more private doctor's practices than others?

From looking at jobs it seems that we 'should' be making around $100k together with some experience. We both know for sure we want to live in manhattan, not in any outer boroughs. I would really appreciate any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
It would help if you could tell us: how much you want to spend/month for housing. Are you looking to buy or rent? If you know where you'll be working (and it seems like you don't) how long a commute are you willing to tolerate? Do you have a pet (many buildings don't allow pets)?

Also, look through the sticky at the top of the board, 'Need info on moving to NYC.'

Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Well we want to rent. Looking to spend around $2000-2500 a month. She wants to work at a private office rather than hospital. I don't have any preference as long as it falls into my sort of IT. It would be nice to be near the trains if I had to go further but I also don't mind walking because I'm very active. We definately won't have any pets.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
There are a lot of major hospitals in Manhattan, and like many cities very many private doctors maintain their offices nearby. There is a cluster of hospitals on the far eastern Upper East Side with very many private doctor offices, which might be of interest because rentals can be found modestly cheaper in that vicinity. Also, while not as densely populated with private offices, there are many in the area around Columbia University on the Upper West Side, which also includes an area with relatively cheaper rents. And, the area around NYU hospital in the East 30s has plenty of medical offices, and that area (Murray Hill/Kips Bay) has lots of young folks and a wide variety of housing stock.

This is by no means exclusive -- there are private doctor offices everywhere.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Am I correct in assuming that your wife is a radiology technician, or is she a radiologist (M.D.)?

Most physicians these days send their patients out (to their affiliated hospital
or to a radiology center) rather than keep radiology equipment (and a tech) on hand in the office.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 PM

She will be a rad tech but then move into MRI eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City