Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,097,115 times

Advertisements

On the day I moved from my lovely little corner in NYC, many of my fine neighbours came out to say goodbye. Some of these neighbourhoods hadn't talked to me before, but they knew when I went to work, came home and probably where I shopped. They kept my daughter and me laughing, reminiscing about the past and forgetful about the task of dragging boxes into a truck on a potentially snowy day in February. One of the discussions was about who lived on our block, and what our interactions were on daily basis. It turned out that Health Ledger and his family lived a few doors down (the star of Brokeback Mountain, and a very good film, I might add).

I never knew that the man that said hello or smiled at me as I sometime sat on the stoop was anyone other than one of my neighbours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I live in a LOVELY neighborhood. Matt Lauer lives across the street. Sigourney Weaver lives down the block....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:58 PM

500 posts, read 2,857,944 times
ontheroad, you moved from Brooklyn to where? I'm curious. You love New York so much it must be hard for you to live elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM

It's unrequited love, Manhattan-ite, it's like of the poems we write in our head but can't live.

Thanks for asking: Taos, NM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
ontheroad, you moved from Brooklyn to where? I'm curious. You love New York so much it must be hard for you to live elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM

500 posts, read 2,857,944 times
Default to NM

I love the desert of the American West (Nevada, Utah) and would love to visit New Mexico. But living there full-time must take a lot of guts and love of the nothingness and silence.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 AM

You can check out the New Mexico Forum for some of my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I love the desert of the American West (Nevada, Utah) and would love to visit New Mexico. But living there full-time must take a lot of guts and love of the nothingness and silence.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM

55 posts, read 516,082 times
There is no right or wrong it is a matter of personal taste and opinion as both cities are wonderful and unique.

It is obvious that there is crime everywhere and more so in big cities people were just pointing out that NYC has more of a problem which is nothing to be proud of a little bit like the ability to smoke at the age of 16!

The only difference is that everone else posted their opinions and facts in a civilsed manner unlike yourself, and they say New Yorkers are rude, judging by this thread and your comments thats a load of bull!!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM

13 posts, read 50,098 times
Default London woman replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by la jolla xo View Post
OH MY GOODNESS if ur reading this, move to NYC!! i have lived in both nyc and london and london is terrible - bad weather, bad food, and everything is twice as expensive. go for nyc!!
London's not as bad as all that, but I have to say, I'd rather live in NY, as I did for a few months. London is SO BLOODY EXPENSIVE! They've just hiked the tube and bus fares up AGAIN, and fuel bills are appalling. Also, the West End is dire. Dirty, full of loutish drunks of both sexes, expensive. Compared to Times Square etc, no contest. But then London is a series of little villages, and Chiswick, where I live, is one of the more civilized. I found NY looked vile in grey weather, whereas London can take it - trivial, I know, but of such small things a feeling is made...Ate out in NY several times and was unimpressed each time, I'm afraid. Whereas there are loads of brilliant restaurants in London, though expensive, of course.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 96,167 times
Well, I'm from Camden, New Jersey (not the London borough) and I can tell you it's Hades here. Glad we're not the murder capital any more, but we're still the poorest city in the country in the richest state.

NYC over London for crime? Never been to London, but will be there latter this year. But I've been to New York. Camden was bad before the supergangs came into town...I can only imagine how a denely populated place like NYC is reacting to the supergang infestation.

If the gun laws were laxed in the UK as they are here in The States, I think London would have NYC beat...but then again, it's more of a cultural issue than a population density issue I guess.

I've always wanted to go to London, and this year I may get to finally go. I know the Brixton area and Lambeth area are pretty 'interesting,' with their massive counsel flats (sp?) and diverse populations. I wanna see how the Camden in London looks like.

I'm surprised that there aren't supergangs in London...namely Bloods and Crips. I know they are found all over the globe from South Africa to Sao Paolo.

Cheers.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,622,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
I've lived in NYC all my life. Unless you are planning to be involve in the drug trade., the stuff that hustla highlights will never affect you no matter were you live in nyc. These gangs are usually run for drug tuft wars, they target each other and if you stay out of their hang out spots (near bars, clubs) you will have no problems even if you live near those areas. Gangs in NY are not as visible anymore. There is an anti-Gang culture in NY and they are not welcomed.
I agree. I would also say that a visitor from London should not be afraid to explore the city--EVEN scary Harlem and the Bronx. (I'm being sarcastic)Take normal precautions, be aware of your surroundings and don't go to desolate places at night.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 50,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD Survivor View Post
Well, I'm from Camden, New Jersey (not the London borough) and I can tell you it's Hades here. Glad we're not the murder capital any more, but we're still the poorest city in the country in the richest state.

NYC over London for crime? Never been to London, but will be there latter this year. But I've been to New York. Camden was bad before the supergangs came into town...I can only imagine how a denely populated place like NYC is reacting to the supergang infestation.

If the gun laws were laxed in the UK as they are here in The States, I think London would have NYC beat...but then again, it's more of a cultural issue than a population density issue I guess.

I've always wanted to go to London, and this year I may get to finally go. I know the Brixton area and Lambeth area are pretty 'interesting,' with their massive counsel flats (sp?) and diverse populations. I wanna see how the Camden in London looks like.

I'm surprised that there aren't supergangs in London...namely Bloods and Crips. I know they are found all over the globe from South Africa to Sao Paolo.

Cheers.

I used to live in Camden (London), and it was a nightmare to get down the road at the weekends, somany tourists. Liked the market, though. But now the market has gone really commercial, no really good period stuff, just ill-made fashion knock-offs, and the streets are dirty and smell permanently of fast-food. Loads of goth-types. I wouldn't go near Camden to please a dying grandmother, personally. But hey, go, find out. I know people who still like it.

Brixton has got quite gentrified, but there's still enough of the indigenous, post-immigration population left to make it diverse. It's just that it's now the white people who provide the 'diverse' element! Great food market, some nice bars, heavy traffic...Yes, many COUNCIL flats, but there are loads of council flats in other places in London, and none is interesting. Just tower blocks or estates, mostly ugly, sometimes just flatly suburban.

I'd advise you to see them, though, yes, definitely see Brixton, and Shepherd's Bush, and Islington, just to see the real London, but also go to see the Huguenot houses in Spitalfields, and check out Primrose Hill and even Chiswick Mall. History, asthetics.

Have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City