U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 2,713,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Okaaaay then.. fine... there are jews who are poorer than the poorest black or brown person........

still hard to believe.
WHY is it so "hard to believe"? (I am still not understanding this)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Just head to Brighton Beach. Walk the Avenue or the Boardwalk. You can't miss them as they will be the one's with out of date clothing who are walking.
There are plenty of Russian Jews who live in the NYCHA projects in Coney Island as well.

The poorest Jewish communities in NYC are Russian Jews, elderly Jews, and hasidic/ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 934,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Jews are numerically a minority in the United States (and the world of course). Jews are about 2% of the U.S. population.

Again, not all Jews are white.
Just because YOU think of "white Jews" when you think of Jews, does not make white Jews the only Jews that exist.

Israel, for example, could be considered a non-white Jewish country as at least 50% of Israeli Jews have roots/descend from Jewish communities in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East (Yemen, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Egypt, Morocco, etc.)

There are plenty of non-white/Middle Eastern Jews in the U.S. as well.

You don't need to give me a history lesson, I know the racial make up of jews and their history.

Most americans think jews are white "looking", of course white supremacist don't include them in but white society as a whole has accepted jews. Adam Sandler, Scarlett Johanson, Natalie Portman, Jon Stewart, Steven Spielberg, etc etc. That is the look Americans equate to Jewish people now. Like i said its not a race, but they BLEND in and don't suffer the same fate as other minorities do.

People are still flabbergasted when they meet a jew thats anything but white. I don't know what country you live in, but you are acting like you don't live in one of the most ignorant countries in the world when it comes to race.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
You don't need to give me a history lesson, I know the racial make up of jews and their history.

Most americans think jews are white "looking", of course white supremacist don't include them in but white society as a whole has accepted jews. Adam Sandler, Scarlett Johanson, Natalie Portman, Jon Stewart, Steven Spielberg, etc etc. That is the look Americans equate to Jewish people now. Like i said its not a race, but they BLEND in and don't suffer the same fate as other minorities do.

People are still flabbergasted when they meet a jew thats anything but white. I don't know what country you live in, but you are acting like you don't live in one of the most ignorant countries in the world when it comes to race.
Maybe I DO need to give you a history lesson.

And, speaking of history, are you not aware that "race" in itself is a social construct, not an actuality?

Old 05-21-2016, 01:43 PM

10,780 posts, read 9,495,102 times
Many, if not most of the Jews I knew growing up in Queens were of Middle Eastern, Central Asian and North African decent. Culturally, they had much more in common with Arabs than the Adam Sandler and Jon Stewart types. The white european jew is much more common in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe I DO need to give you a history lesson.

And, speaking of history, are you not aware that "race" in itself is a social construct, not an actuality?

Nope you really don't, you can keep on believing Jewish are some oppressed minority if you want to.

Who cares about social construct,oh wait race itself is all made up because we are all apart of the human race right? Keep on living in la la land if you want to.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many, if not most of the Jews I knew growing up in Queens were of Middle Eastern, Central Asian and North African decent. Culturally, they had much more in common with Arabs than the Adam Sandler and Jon Stewart types. The white european jew is much more common in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The ones i know, are more towards the Sacha Baron Cohen as well, still passable. And they still automatically receive great service in Saks Fifth Avenue

Old 05-21-2016, 04:47 PM

10,780 posts, read 9,495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
The ones i know, are more towards the Sacha Baron Cohen as well, still passable. And they still automatically receive great service in Saks Fifth Avenue
I never shopped at Saks. What is service typically like?

Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I never shopped at Saks. What is service typically like?
Crap, unless you look like you have a million dollars to spend.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,788,596 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Russian Jews who live in the NYCHA projects in Coney Island as well.

The poorest Jewish communities in NYC are Russian Jews, elderly Jews, and hasidic/ultra-Orthodox Jews.
I wouldn't characterize the Russian Jewish community as poor at all.

The only "poor" ones are those that came in their late 40's, 50's, or 60's. They worked some years in menial jobs until retirement while in the meantime getting section 8 and then social security. The rest of the community is just like any other.

What do you mean by "elderly" Jews?

I wouldn't call the Hasidim poor either according to the traditional definition. Choosing to have 5+ kids on a single income household (at best) because you know there are government programs to at least help you get by isn't so much poverty as a lifestyle choice.

When I think of poor, I think of people just can't get by for whatever reason. I don't think poverty can be a choice. If you're choosing to be poor, then you're not poor. lol

All the people you mentioned above get by. Some very nicely I would add. I went to school with a friend who's grandparents were "poor" elderly Russian Jews who worked for 10-15 years in menial jobs to get by. They had section 8 + social security, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

When he graduated, they gifted him 30K for a down payment towards a house. Is that poor? This isn't a one off either. I know the community. This is normal (and a very nice thing to see).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or