U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 PM

3,955 posts, read 2,708,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In each sect there is a group that works. They get a legal paycheck for a low wage that is taxed and they also get a cash envelope. Of the money they get, a certain percentage goes to the sect. The legal wage is purposely kept low so they still get gov't benefits.

fyi: Yeshivish is slang Yiddish mostly spoken by the the UO Yeshiva crowd. The word you probably would have used is haredi.
No. Haredi includes both yeshivish ultra-Orthodox and Hasidic ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Haredi is not synonymous with yeshivish.
It is synonymous with ultra-Orthodox.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
They do work, just in their community. The hasidic are known to be completely detached from society, don't pay taxes, ignore basic rules and laws but somehow still want to use tax paying dollars to benefit them. They scam and fraud the government like the pros they are. Many may be poor, but you NEVER seen a Homeless Hasidic person have you?
I'm sure there are homeless hasids just as there are homeless of every ethnicity/group.

Perhaps there is more chesed in the hasidic community and the community would help an individual before allowing him/her to actually be street homeless.

I do know hasids who ended up in shelters though.

As for working: some may work in their community.

But many don't work at all.
The women often have too many kids to work, and the men often "don't believe" in working - they believe it is a greater mitzvah to study Torah all day long than to work.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:36 PM

23,410 posts, read 26,601,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
They do work, just in their community. The hasidic are known to be completely detached from society, don't pay taxes, ignore basic rules and laws but somehow still want to use tax paying dollars to benefit them. They scam and fraud the government like the pros they are. Many may be poor, but you NEVER seen a Homeless Hasidic person have you?
There are some jobs within the community, but community jobs are not going to generate much income. Thus in the early hours of the morning they are bused into the city in Yellow buses (and you know who pays for Yellow buses, right?)

Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
No. Haredi includes both yeshivish ultra-Orthodox and Hasidic ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Haredi is not synonymous with yeshivish.
It is synonymous with ultra-Orthodox.

Yeshivish is a language. It has turned into a community through the years, but are a mixture of sects to create their own culture. It's Ebonics based on English and Rabbinic Hebrew. Yeshivish is a whole other topic then what this thread is about.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yeshivish is a language. It has turned into a community through the years, but are a mixture of sects to create their own culture. It's Ebonics based on English and Rabbinic Hebrew. Yeshivish is a whole other topic then what this thread is about.
Yeshivish refers to those haredi (or "black hat") ultra-Orthodox Jews who are NOT Hasidic.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Yeshivish refers to those haredi (or "black hat") ultra-Orthodox Jews who are NOT Hasidic.
Yeshivish is common to NY for the Orthodox generation that lean towards ultra religious. Their nickname is "frimish". They are not a historical sect. They are the frum hipsters so to speak.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:35 AM

186 posts, read 182,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If they have that kind of money, why wont gubment audit them?
It's because everything is done in cash, there is no paper trail to audit. They buy the houses in cash and then they put it in someone else name in the community and that person gets a kick back in cash, while they manage the building and go the the office every year to re certify that they are poor and penniless

Old 05-19-2016, 04:38 AM

186 posts, read 182,905 times
Quote:
From what I understand lots of hasids and other ultra-Orthodox/yeshivish don't work.
So it stands to reason they would be poor, no?
No they do work, but its off the books so there is no paper trail and they work for others in the community for cash.
If anyone ask the employer he just writes a statement saying they volunteer to come in and help but they don't get paid.
I have seen those statements numerous times as a case worker and even though my common sense tells me that is not the case, there is no documentation I can pull or request to say otherwise because there is no paper trail, so they have no income.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
No they do work, but its off the books so there is no paper trail and they work for others in the community for cash.
If anyone ask the employer he just writes a statement saying they volunteer to come in and help but they don't get paid.
I have seen those statements numerous times as a case worker and even though my common sense tells me that is not the case, there is no documentation I can pull or request to say otherwise because there is no paper trail, so they have no income.

keep in mind whether it's them or some other people there is going be a finite amount of vouchers handed out for section 8. The biggest drain is not section 8, it's all the children which is nearly ten times the parents that gobble up uncapped resources and funds. In NYC is pretty easy not to notice it, but drive to upstate NY and read articles related to certain towns then it's pretty obvious. They choose counties that have a strong tax basis and now towns are now buying adjacent properties to that these people can't expand their mini-cities so to speak. OTOH NJ would have none of this, but alas the UOs are now attempting to get towns where they currently don't have much of a poor class to give them more entitlements as they become the majority of the town.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM

11,455 posts, read 7,867,211 times
I thought ultra Orthodox men were encouraged to go to Yeshiva as often as possible rather than work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or