Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM

186 posts, read 220,088 times

Advertisements

So a while back someone had made a thread about housing in NY and how it seems that in the projects women just keep having child after child to take advantage of their section 8 voucher. They were referring to minority women because whenever you mention Section 8/Welfare queens whether in this forum or in general the face that people associate with it are minorities or to be more specific black faces.

I made the comment that in actuality the biggest abusers of the system were Jews or to be more specific Hasidic Jews. I even told them how they worked the system over by having a ton of kids (it's quite normal to look in their voucher/file and see that they have 8-9 kids each born a year apart) and kids give you a credit on the voucher towards your rent, so the more kids you have, the more credits you get which in turns lowers your portion of the rent.
So having 8-9 kids and then claiming you are not working = you paying basically $0 rent.
However that is not the catch because they are working but they are working off the books and in their community/group. They won't get jobs outside the community because that might force them to pay taxes etc so its off the book work, get paid under the table however because they pay no taxes, there is no way for there case worker to find out because 9/10 times that money is not going into a bank account. It's going into their money jar in the house that is hidden in a cupboard somewhere.
So paying $0 in rent as well as getting food stamps and welfare and any other program the city has, they are on it.

So as I said blacks are far from being the biggest "drain" as some say on the system.

Imagine my surprise now to see this article pop up in the Daily News saying the exact thing I said just a couple days ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2639120

Why do poor people in NYC have so many kids!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM

223 posts, read 255,771 times
I read that article during lunch and I laughed because not too long ago we discussed that on CD. This is not "news" to me. A good population of Jews in Williamsburg/Crown Heights are masters at their craft.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:42 PM

537 posts, read 445,682 times
Jews??? Welfare???

Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Not news to me either. One of the poorest places in the US is Kiryas Joel which is about an hour north of the city. The town is all Hasidic Orthodox Jews. They are the largest collectors of welfare in that town. They are also trying to buy up the houses in the neighboring towns and offering cash on hand. My cousins, aunt and uncle live in one of the towns close by and said it's been a constant struggle between the towns and them trying to take over.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
I read that article during lunch and I laughed because not too long ago we discussed that on CD. This is not "news" to me. A good population of Jews in Williamsburg/Crown Heights are masters at their craft.
Yes they are, and while claiming broke own property and collecting rent.
Like I said however, it's all cash deals and unlike most who if they have cash they will flaunt it, they look poor by choice but they are far from it.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:52 PM

yeah it pisses me off to see people label blacks as welfare kings and queens and I'm like if you do some research instead of just going with the popular talking point that myth would be busted wide open.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
yeah it pisses me off to see people label blacks as welfare kings and queens and I'm like if you do some research instead of just going with the popular talking point that myth would be busted wide open.
Out of the 48 million residents who receive benefits that equals to 40% of SNAP recipients being White (19,200,000), 26% of SNAP recipients being Black (12,480,000) and 10% of SNAP recipients being Hispanic (4,800,000).

Now with calculating the population (races)

There are 46 million Blacks in the United States which means 27% of the Black population are on SNAP.
There are 55 million Hispanics in the United States which means 8% of the Hispanic population are on SNAP.
198 million Whites in the United States which means 10% of the White population are on SNAP.

So from that - people get their "Blacks are Welfare Kings and Queens" being that the Black population is the lowest but compared to their SNAP recipients - receive more. Though, there are lots of factors that can provide either explanations or excuses depending on each recipients situation.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Default Hasidic neighborhood is a top beneficiary of Section 8

Hasidic neighborhood in South Williamsburg is a top beneficiary of Section 8, but some question whether law is strictly followed

Little boys in yarmulkes peer from apartment balconies, watching the men below toss bread into a bonfire.
The annual spring ritual marks the first day of Passover in the Hasidic Jewish enclave of South Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where daily life is built on ancient laws and religious devotion. But the insular community depends on outside money to survive — federal subsidies to help many low-income Hasidic families cover the rent.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2639120

Last edited by nei; 05-18-2016 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 PM

Look ten threads down. It's being discussed.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
Look ten threads down. It's being discussed.
my title is better and straight to the point. No way should that post not be 10 pages long right now but people are strolling past the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City