Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,934,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are some other good CUNYs. City, Hunter, Brooklyn, and Queens. There's Lehman in the Bronx.
Those are not good for Finance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 PM

546 posts, read 761,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Those are not good for Finance.
BS/BA doesn't is not important anymore. I say go for Business easier major. and Finance In Masters.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
BS/BA doesn't is not important anymore. I say go for Business easier major. and Finance In Masters.
I disagree with that. A Masters is not guaranteeing you anything. In fact, employers are shying away from hiring people with a Masters to save on salary expenses. If anything, work experience in addition to a strong business degree and GPA is more important. Internships felt as hard to attain as a job while I was there for my Bachelors. The student body at Baruch is very hard working and ambitious to say the least.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I disagree with that. A Masters is not guaranteeing you anything. In fact, employers are shying away from hiring people with a Masters to save on salary expenses. If anything, work experience in addition to a strong business degree and GPA is more important. Internships felt as hard to attain as a job while I was there for my Bachelors. The student body at Baruch is very hard working and ambitious to say the least.
I think the exception at Baruch would be the MFE program. According to a friend of mine, you're pretty much guaranteed a great salary if you do well. Of course the material is pretty challenging, and just getting in can be tough.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think the exception at Baruch would be the MFE program. According to a friend of mine, you're pretty much guaranteed a great salary if you do well. Of course the material is pretty challenging, and just getting in can be tough.
Financial Engineering? Yea, I believe thats the Masters where almost the whole class is from India/China. Small in size and hard to get into due to the overseas competition. Their grad program is highly rated and is harder to get into than their Undergrad for business degrees.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:26 AM

8,654 posts, read 11,030,529 times
its all conversation until the OP applies and gets accepted.

its many years for me but 3.2 for a local community college is a bit low for the above nyc colleges. Some of the top business schools want closer to 4.0 . I remember people I know who transferred had those GPAs

Old 05-21-2016, 02:38 AM

402 posts, read 516,322 times
I wouldn't exactly rule out NYU... a good friend transferred there from Nassau Community and i know for sure her GPA was nowhere near a 4.0. Her sister did attend NYU prior so im sure that helped her chances.

Someone said Baruch which is a great option... Maybe even Fordham, Manhattan College, Hunter, Queens College and Saint John's.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 AM

436 posts, read 563,386 times
I'm amazed no one has mentioned Cornell. Their undergrad business program is one of the best in the country and just as good if not better than the likes of NYU and Baruch. The main difference would be the power of the alumni networks and company connections that a school like Cornell has because of the Ivy League affiliation.

And Ivy schools are great with financial aid typically so I wouldn't worry about that until you know for sure how much aid you could get.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I'm amazed no one has mentioned Cornell. Their undergrad business program is one of the best in the country and just as good if not better than the likes of NYU and Baruch. The main difference would be the power of the alumni networks and company connections that a school like Cornell has because of the Ivy League affiliation.

And Ivy schools are great with financial aid typically so I wouldn't worry about that until you know for sure how much aid you could get.
They are in Ithaca, NY and I thought the OP was speaking of NYC schools. The other problem is he was worried that with a 3.2 gpa he wouldn't be too likely to get into a top school as a transfer. Then again it doesn't hurt to apply, but he should also consider the CUNYs. There's nothing wrong with City, Hunter, Brooklyn, Lehman, or Queens, and if the OP does well there he could apply to any MBA program, including Ivy League.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:10 AM

436 posts, read 563,386 times
I never noticed the GPA after I made my post but he/she did ask for suggestions for schools outside of NYC too.

But yes, there are plenty of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City