Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 AM

153 posts, read 219,474 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I'm a busy mom who runs two businesses and has two small babies. I never minded cleaning but that's besides the point lol.. I'm looking around to hire a weekly housecleaner to come in and deep clean, do laundry, dishes, etc. Probably a good 8 hour day.. I'm even considering twice weekly as it just saves me SO much time and allows me to spend an entire day working (and making a lot more) or with my family..because time is priceless with the babies growing so quick.

I'm looking around and seeing a lot of $25-$35/hr requests and this seems a little steep to me but maybe someone can shed some light. What would you pay hourly over the table and hourly under (in cash)?

How much do you offer your weekly/twice weekly housecleaner for 8-16 hours a week?

What's fair and what's way too low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
I'd look into a commercial home cleaning service that is bonded and insured. Many will send in a crew and do your house in a very short time. I don't know if they will also do laundry and dishes. Getting a reliable house cleaner is tough nowadays and you must also withhold taxes if you want to avoid trouble with the taxing authorities. Paying under the table is not a good idea.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:28 AM

153 posts, read 219,474 times
I was thinking paying over the table would be better because the write off puts me ahead, anyway.. Still wondering what the rate is for about 8 hours..I'd need them to clean a 600 sq ft 2 bedroom (convertible one bed with no living room or eat in kitchen) and do all laundry, dishes, scrubbing..you name it

Old 05-21-2016, 10:06 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
I was thinking paying over the table would be better because the write off puts me ahead, anyway.. Still wondering what the rate is for about 8 hours..I'd need them to clean a 600 sq ft 2 bedroom (convertible one bed with no living room or eat in kitchen) and do all laundry, dishes, scrubbing..you name it
That will not take 8 hours...I have an over 1000 sq foot 2 bed/2 bath that I have cleaned regularly and my service does it in under three hours.

There are several on-demand cleaning services that are sufficient. If you like the person they send, you can usually rebook them as recurring through the service or hire them "off the books" at a lower rate. Going rate for these on demand services is $25-$35 as you've noted.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
You have to take into account that the per/hr fee probably includes cleaning supplies as well.

If you're willing to provide all supplies, I'd imagine it would be in the $15-$20 range.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
Hello all

I'm a busy mom who runs two businesses and has two small babies. I never minded cleaning but that's besides the point lol.. I'm looking around to hire a weekly housecleaner to come in and deep clean, do laundry, dishes, etc. Probably a good 8 hour day.. I'm even considering twice weekly as it just saves me SO much time and allows me to spend an entire day working (and making a lot more) or with my family..because time is priceless with the babies growing so quick.

I'm looking around and seeing a lot of $25-$35/hr requests and this seems a little steep to me but maybe someone can shed some light. What would you pay hourly over the table and hourly under (in cash)?

How much do you offer your weekly/twice weekly housecleaner for 8-16 hours a week?

What's fair and what's way too low?

Rates vary depending upon many factors. Know some maids on the UES pulling >$75K, and that is off the books.

If you hire someone through a service/company you'll probably pay that much or near on a hourly basis because the agency has to pay/take out taxes, and cover various mandates such as paid PTO and other things from the City and State.

In a few years the mandatory minimum wage will be $15/hr., and that will apply to domestics as well.

You often can find illegals (Mexicans, Latino/Hispanic) women but am told by friends and co-workers the quality of person and work varies. Some play off one or more clients against each other. Others show up with their daughters (and the kid's kid) expecting you to pay for the extra girl because the work is "big".

Best way to find someone is to ask around your building, area or office for references. This is most true if the cleaner will be in your apartment while you aren't there.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:36 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
"Deep clean" lol. My wife uses this term to mean "move the sofa and bed over and vacuum under them".

Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Cheapest I've paid is $50 for 3 hours. Otherwise I've paid $20 an hour. Not sure how much cleaning services are going for on Taskrabbit, but I know you can find a consistent person through their service. I believe it might be about the same of $25-30 an hour.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Its crazy how people will pay more for people to clean there home then watch their children.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Its crazy how people will pay more for people to clean there home then watch their children.

Women have been paying (or forcing in the case of slave labor) other females to clean they house, watch their children, cook meals, fetch and empty slop jars and whatever for a good part of recorded history.

Men either paid indirectly (via their wives) or hired someone.... Either way the concept of domestic service isn't new nor going anywhere.

That being said you'd think some people around here live in homes the size of Tara instead of a 400 SqFt studio apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City