Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,847,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I wonder if NYPD just does not register lot of crimes? I can't imagine with all these homeless folks and gangs out there and much bigger population NYC can have so much lower crime rate. May be better gun control laws make difference.
And NYC also is pretty segregated too, white folks mostly live in Manhattan, some parts of Brooklyn, but Bronx, Harlem is almost all black.
Bronx and Harlem are definitely NOT all BLACK or EVEN CLOSE. You have many Latinos in BOTH, and NOT ALL OF the LATINOS in the BRONX or HARLEM are BLACK.

Lastly Columbia University is in Harlem and it clearly is not ALL BLACK (lot of white and Asian students, along with some Blacks and Hispanics). Ditto City College (also has a descent amount of Asian, Black, Hispanic, and white students.

Northeastern Bronx, Woodlawn, Riverdale, and Kingsbridge in the Bronx have lots of whites.

You sound like someone who has never even been to NYC and is only going through RUMORS.

Staten Island has lots of whites. Queens is pretty mixed (lots of Asians and Hispanics, some Blacks and Whites).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Lastly there are Asians and Middle Easterners in Harlem and the Bronx. To claim that these areas are all Black is very inaccurate.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,401,976 times
Quote:
I wonder if NYPD just does not register lot of crimes? I can't imagine with all these homeless folks and gangs out there and much bigger population NYC can have so much lower crime rate. May be better gun control laws make difference.
And NYC also is pretty segregated too, white folks mostly live in Manhattan, some parts of Brooklyn, but Bronx, Harlem is almost all black.
The gang problem is way worse in Chicago than NYC.

And no, your last statement is so untrue I don't even know where to begin.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM

617 posts, read 533,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bronx and Harlem are definitely NOT all BLACK or EVEN CLOSE. You have many Latinos in BOTH, and NOT ALL OF the LATINOS in the BRONX or HARLEM are BLACK.

Lastly Columbia University is in Harlem and it clearly is not ALL BLACK (lot of white and Asian students, along with some Blacks and Hispanics). Ditto City College (also has a descent amount of Asian, Black, Hispanic, and white students.

Northeastern Bronx, Woodlawn, Riverdale, and Kingsbridge in the Bronx have lots of whites.

You sound like someone who has never even been to NYC and is only going through RUMORS.

Staten Island has lots of whites. Queens is pretty mixed (lots of Asians and Hispanics, some Blacks and Whites).
I guess I meant non-white.
Which does not make them any more less segregated. Bronx only has 14% whites, similar to Harlem, this is basically diversity gone bad, as these are all mostly poor areas with lot of crime and very low living standards.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:29 PM

617 posts, read 533,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The gang problem is way worse in Chicago than NYC.

Said who, NYPD? Not sure I can trust them. And why would that be logically speaking, are NYC people of color less prone to gang activity somehow magically?

Old 06-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Which does not make them any more less segregated. Bronx only has 14% whites, similar to Harlem, this is basically diversity gone bad, as these are all mostly poor areas with lot of crime.
Why are white people required for an area to be non segregated? And even then you're wrong, there are many parts of the city with both nonwhites and whites.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Which does not make them any more less segregated. Bronx only has 14% whites, similar to Harlem, this is basically diversity gone bad, as these are all mostly poor areas with lot of crime.
It does make them less segregated. There are multiple different groups of people living in those neighborhoods. Not everything has to do with white people. What's called white will be under 50% of the population two decades from now.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Said who, NYPD? Not sure I can trust them. And why would that be logically speaking, are NYC people of color less prone to gang activity somehow magically?
I'm pretty sure it has been documented that Chicago has higher rate of gang membership than NYC.

And what you say goes both ways, and is a silly point.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Why are white people required for an area to be non segregated? And even then you're wrong, there are many parts of the city with both nonwhites and whites.
Most areas of the Bronx have at least a few poor whites (yes there are minimum wage or welfare whites) and ditto these days East New York.

Many parts of NYC that are predominately non white have some WHITES. Places like Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Corona, Flushing, Bedstuy, Bushwick, Harlem, Washington Heights, may not be predominately white, but you do have whites living in these areas including whites who send their children to school.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM

The issue was something like 12 to 20% of Blacks in Chicago lived in neighborhoods that was 100% Black. NYC is not segregated to that degree.

Due to there being large groups of people of other races I doubt any neighborhood will get to a 50% Black/White mixed, and AAs only make up like 13% of the population. I think people will also need to reset the bar on what they consider segregated.

Take Jackson Heights, Queens. Many different groups of Latinos, South Asians, some whites, and a few Blacks. Elmhurst is East Asians, Latinos, some whites, and some Blacks. Are these neighborhoods segregated? They certainly take you out of a Black white paradigm.

Even Harlem today (Latinos of different nationalities and races, Blacks of different nationalities, various whites, and some Asians and Middle Easterners).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City