Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,954,408 times

Advertisements

Is the level of gentrification in Chicago is on par with legacy cities such as DC or NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,401,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depends on how you measure residential segregation; NYC has a lot of mixed black-hispanic neighborhoods, and few almost all black neighborhood unlike Chicago. But neither city has many many mixed black-non hispanic white neighborhood.

The black and white areas of Chicago are more separated from each other than in NYC, where they are sometimes not that far apart and people travel between neighborhoods anyway.
NYC also has other combinations of neighborhoods

White/Hispanic (Throgg's Neck)

Asian/Hispanic (Sunset Park, Elmhurst)

White/Black/Hispanic (Briarwood)

Everything under the sun (Kensington)

There are some neighborhoods which are heavily black though, many in Southeast Queens, as well as Central/Eastern Brooklyn. But there don't seem to be neighborhoods that are 80+% Hispanic, probably just Corona.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:55 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,572,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

There are some neighborhoods which are heavily black though, many in Southeast Queens, as well as Central/Eastern Brooklyn. But there don't seem to be neighborhoods that are 80+% Hispanic, probably just Corona.
I noticed that more neighborhoods tend to be mixed white and Hispanic, rather than white and black.
Anyone have a sense why?
Hispanics seem to move into formerly white neighborhoods more than black people do: I am thinking of Woodside, Sunnyside, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, ec.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,954,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I noticed that more neighborhoods tend to be mixed white and Hispanic, rather than white and black.
Anyone have a sense why?
Hispanics seem to move into formerly white neighborhoods more than black people do: I am thinking of Woodside, Sunnyside, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, ec.
White ethics and hispanics share commonalities such as Catholic faith. This could be why many hispanics moved into such areas.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,847,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed. But still, even those graduate school-educated cab drivers don't tend to be the people committing crimes...
Which does not prove that those committing crimes are not of Caribbean descent as well. NYC had Caribbean immigrants since the 40s, and there are few Black families here that don't have Caribbean or Latino connections.

Some of the worst victims of police assault now that I think about it were African or Caribbean. Louima, Diallo, etc. A Black immigrant cab driver isn't living in a "nice" neighborhood. They're living in the same neighborhoods as poor African Americans, and their kids will grow up with the same problematic education, and probably will face the same issues in the job force.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
White ethics and hispanics share commonalities such as Catholic faith. This could be why many hispanics moved into such areas.
NYC also has more Hispanics moving in than Blacks. For obvious reasons. The hospitality sector mainly employs Mexicans to do the work. Ditto construction. You'll see some Dominicans in hospitality and construction as well.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

The only Black neighborhoods that don't have an influx of whites or hispanics would be perhaps the ones in Southeast Queens. Bedstuy and Flatbush have gentrification going on, which is starting to touch even Brownsville and East New York.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Plus a lot of those neighborhoods she mentioned are immigrant heavy in general.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Caribbean and African blacks tend to be better educated than African Americans. At least the ones who end up here do if my experience at the taxi garage was any indication. They're well-spoken, tend to not use the N word or street slang, and were always ready to banter about politics or current events. Culturally very different people.
How does not using street slang make you better educated?

I've even met homeless people who could talk about current events or politics? Btw the kids of Black immigrants, if they grow up in Black neighborhoods, generally talk the same as African Americans.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which does not prove that those committing crimes are not of Caribbean descent as well. NYC had Caribbean immigrants since the 40s, and there are few Black families here that don't have Caribbean or Latino connections.

Some of the worst victims of police assault now that I think about it were African or Caribbean. Louima, Diallo, etc. A Black immigrant cab driver isn't living in a "nice" neighborhood. They're living in the same neighborhoods as poor African Americans, and their kids will grow up with the same problematic education, and probably will face the same issues in the job force.
I live in Baldwin and I'm pretty sure most black people I know here have at least one parent of West Indian descent.

Quote:
NYC also has
more Hispanics moving in than Blacks. For obvious reasons. The hospitality sector mainly employs Mexicans to do the work. Ditto construction. You'll see some Dominicans in hospitality and construction as well.
I was gonna say, I would guess that many Mexican immigrants work in restaurants in Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn, so their families move into places that are conveniently located and (relatively speaking) affordable. I don't think we'll see many Mexicans move East of Flatbush.

Quote:
The only Black neighborhoods that don't have an influx of whites or hispanics would be perhaps the ones in Southeast Queens. Bedstuy and Flatbush have gentrification going on, which is starting to touch even Brownsville and East New York.
East Flatbush, Flatlands, Canarsie, Brownsville, etc. don't seem to have an influx of whites or Hispanics. Nor do the North Bronx neighborhoods East of say, Norwood.

Bedstuy and Flatbush are more centrally located and thus more desirable in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City