Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM

306 posts, read 283,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
That's good considering much of it looks thoroughly dilapidated and there is still a hefty amount of crime.
You are WRONG , jamaica is safe . in NYC you find crimes every where , even in area like chelsea and midtown , the difference is that they are not high in crimes but they have crimes . Jamaica is not a high crime area. jamaica has a vibrant middle class /upper middle class population , what it needs is more investments , more hotels , more trendy restaurants and shops , there is a demand for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 05:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply that all Mexicans worked in Manhattan, of course plenty of them work in the Bronx or Westchester in which living in Wakefield would make sense.

But I don't think you save much money living in Wakefield as opposed to other neighborhoods, the lowest rents in the Bronx I could find were in University Heights. And the places with the highest Mexican populations in NYC generally are close to Manhattan by subway or in Manhattan itself. Corona, Jackson Heights, Sunset Park, Mott Haven, East Harlem, Union City, etc.
Also keep in mind people tend to spread out more, as more of an ethnic group comes to a city. Chinese outgrew Chinatown, Elmhurst, Bensonhurst, and Flushing and are now spreading into other neighborhoods. Mexicans too are expanding the areas they live in mlarge numbers.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
I mentioned the high crime and overall danger in regards to the Caribbean and Africa as many of these countries are definitely high crime and people from them will tell you to watch your back when you go. Certain posters here who quite clearly know nothing about the region and who have never been are simply misrepresenting these nations, and for that matter the immigrants who come here from them. According to some people here immigrants come from "good" cultural backgrounds, and supposedly African Americans have "bad" culture. And this is utter bull****. My speciality in history as an undergraduate was Latin American studies.

I will be visiting two Caribbean nations, the Dominican Republic in August, and Colombia next week (Colombia borders the Caribbean sea and people in Caribbean studies group Central America and Northern South America as a part of the Caribbean due to similar history, economy, and culture).

I was in Paraguay and Brazil years ago, and people in those countries in those days often said you had to pay the police to take action if there was a crime!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
You are WRONG , jamaica is safe . in NYC you find crimes every where , even in area like chelsea and midtown , the difference is that they are not high in crimes but they have crimes . Jamaica is not a high crime area. jamaica has a vibrant middle class /upper middle class population , what it needs is more investments , more hotels , more trendy restaurants and shops , there is a demand for that
Sure it does.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
We interrupt this heated debate for a shameless plug for some of the best music to come out of Chicago in years;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGn4LncY0g

Ok, carry on....

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I mentioned the high crime and overall danger in regards to the Caribbean and Africa as many of these countries are definitely high crime and people from them will tell you to watch your back when you go. Certain posters here who quite clearly know nothing about the region and who have never been are simply misrepresenting these nations, and for that matter the immigrants who come here from them. According to some people here immigrants come from "good" cultural backgrounds, and supposedly African Americans have "bad" culture. And this is utter bull****. My speciality in history as an undergraduate was Latin American studies.

I will be visiting two Caribbean nations, the Dominican Republic in August, and Colombia next week (Colombia borders the Caribbean sea and people in Caribbean studies group Central America and Northern South America as a part of the Caribbean due to similar history, economy, and culture).

I was in Paraguay and Brazil years ago, and people in those countries in those days often said you had to pay the police to take action if there was a crime!
God you love to hear yourself talk. Ho-lee-crap

Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Dozens of shootings in Chi town and multiple people dead I heard early this morning on 1010 wins. Only 2 measly shootings in Jamaica and one on Staten Island with nobody dead. Thought we could do better than that!

Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

It's like saying that the Arab population in NYC is violent and then pointing to Syria and Iraq. WTF?

For the most part, Caribbeans and Africans in NYC had/have higher median incomes and more stable households than black Americans. .
True Caribbean/African households have higher median incomes than is the case of black Americans.

But consider this.

1. Since the 80s there has been significant out migration of Caribbean people, these tending to be middle/upper middle class.

2. Much of the in migration in that period has been of a less educated and skilled cohort. So the Caribbean populations of the 80s aren't the same as they are today. In fact even South East Queens is beginning to dip.

3. As the Caribbean population transitions to its 3rd generation (descendants of those who arrived in the late 60s and 70s) some dysfunction has appeared. And often the same as one can see among low income black Americans.

The violence which surrounds J'ouvert aren't American blacks. These are the kids and grand kids of Caribbean immigrants, and among them are thugs. So Carey Gabay was the son of Jamaican immigrants, but probably so were some men who fled the scene (they had Jamaican flags tied around their heads).

Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
. You'll often here stories of someone who was a professional back home driving a cab here in the states. In order to find professional work here they'll have to get a graduate degree in the states and/or the relevant professional licenses.

Africans are the most educated group in the USA. I have talked to several taxi drivers, almost none of whom did that back home.

Having said that, if an immigrant experiences downward mobility in the USA, they invest heavily in ensuring that their kids have better opportunities, so I don't think that street crime is an African problem in NYC.........though white collar crime certainly is, especially among Nigerians.

Even the French Muslim Africans, who are clearly NOT educated people, one rarely hears of a "Mamadou" involved in criminal behavior in Upper Manhattan, or The Bronx. They seem closely knit, so I suspect the shame of having a criminal son ensures that the parents do what they must to reduce that likelihood.

BTW Nigerians and Ghanaians are very well represented among the ranks of professionals in NYC. I have heard of enough "terrors" working at the IRS, and NYS Dept of Finance, to know this.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depends on how you measure residential segregation; NYC has a lot of mixed black-hispanic neighborhoods, and few almost all black neighborhood unlike Chicago. But neither city has many many mixed black-non hispanic white neighborhood.

The black and white areas of Chicago are more separated from each other than in NYC, where they are sometimes not that far apart and people travel between neighborhoods anyway.

For some weird reason segregation is defined in terms of how many whites live in a neighborhood.

So a city like NYC will have high segregation even in a neighborhood where 50 languages are spoken!

20 years ago we knew who was getting off where on the subway, and positioned ourselves to get a seat.

In fact whites are heavy in numbers up to Harlem, and into Crown Heights these days. Some even going beyond the Utica Ave stop! On the L they are practically at the Junction!

What is at issue isn't residential segregation. It is social segregation. Blacks and whites don't mix in these areas, except at a surface level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City