Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Lol @ Atlanta being a cultural desert
LOL I thought the same but didn't have the energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 05:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
For single men, NYC is paradise. Tons of beautiful women.
Sounds nice but I hate crowds. I wouldn't mind visiting NYC during the fall.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The point of living in NYC is that, it's very easy to scam the system and have your living expenses all covered as long as you know how to play the game.

Rich and poor people do it, except the honest middle class.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
I decided to delete my previous post because it was probably incomprehensible to people younger than 55. In summary, I am 59, miss many things in NYC that have folded over the years, and think that the largest con against NYC is its lack of interest in preserving its historic continuity. In most of the large world cities, the leading cultural institutions, famous music clubs, famous restaurants, major newspapers, formerly prominent buildings, and other things that defined an era, do not just vanish without trace or get wildly repurposed like in NYC.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:39 AM

19 posts, read 12,565 times
I'm under 35 worked very hard half my life came to NYC with $3000 slept on the trains and park benches.I finnaly got a room for $300 a month and a job.Then I got another job. I worked long hard hours most days getting my only sleep on those long train rides between jobs.I put myself through college got a better job and baught a house paid that off and baught another house. and rented every square inch of them.

When the recession hit I had a pretty full proof rental strategy that kept me above water.

Then I started a business.Celebrated a milestone $12k a month.
Now I have rental properties a business and still work two jobs.
I'm single and dont have children so I have more time then some.

You can make it in NYC with luck hard work and the grace of God.I will probably leave once I retire,but when your young NYC is the place to be.My suggestion is save your money network think out side the box.

I hate that rats bums crazies, traffic,Subway stench over policing,BK feels like a Nazi occupation half the time with all the check points and police watch towers.All this just makes sailing to the Bahamas on my private yacht more sweet.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we rent in a very nice building and are quite content but we may buy a co-op next year . i wouldn't want a house anymore .

you wanted to ask why people stay , so i told you .if we couldn't take living in the pocono's long term after experiencing it for 5 years part time , i would never even consider west virginia at any price .

Can you imagine waiting for your car service in West Virginia? Car would probably have to be dispatched from Baltimore. You would be late for your part time job in the coal mine.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Can you imagine waiting for your car service in West Virginia? Car would probably have to be dispatched from Baltimore. You would be late for your part time job in the coal mine.
Morgantown has more busses than Westchester and a little subway called the people mover. Due to the failures of Suffolk Cty Transit, NYC people have this weird belief that other places don't have public transit but they do - especially major cities. The majority of places have better transit than Suffolk County.

That doesn't mean I'm going there though. I'm going to die in the same city where I was born.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:40 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ Because Kefir King and other liberals are actually very closeminded, ignorant and snobbish. They always think they are better than conservatives.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
LOL I thought the same but didn't have the energy.
FWIW, Atlanta has a MUCH larger music scene, especially hip hop, than NYC. Many of the new rappers and their lingo, such as "bando", are Atlantean or generally Southern.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
FWIW, Atlanta has a MUCH larger music scene, especially hip hop, than NYC. Many of the new rappers and their lingo, such as "bando", are Atlantean or generally Southern.
I feel like music is very YMMV. I prefer metal music and european/asian (mostly Japan and Germany) jungle/hardcore/speedcore. Metal music the entire NYC area gets talent from the world, though not as much as say if I'd be in Germany. Blackthorn 51 in Elmhurst I'm partial to, but I've gone to many concerts from NJ to CT that I could get to via mass transit and am content. On hardcore, LA and NYC are Americas only good options aside from one offs in random cities like Seattle. NYC has more pull generally because of local talent from the 90s (Lenny Dee, Empress, etc. are still around).

That being said, I'd go to Hard Island in Croatia or Hardgate/Day of Hardcore in Japan any day over American raves. I also find the music scene for what I like skews older on average (30s-40s) in America, while it is younger (15(!)-30) in Europe and Japan. I'm not really sure why this is though. When I found out one of the DJs I enjoyed in Shibuya was only 15, I was flabbergasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City