Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 AM

79 posts, read 84,665 times

Advertisements

I think the limit is 7 days, but if your care is not disturbing anyone or causing any traffic problem I don't see why it cant be there for a month.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 02:04 PM

36 posts, read 62,596 times
The legal limit is 7 days consecutively.

However, depending on the neighborhood it may vary.

I previously resided in Rochdale Village and parked on the street, a residential block with no alternate side parking. I used to leave my car parked in the same spot for weeks at a time since I used public transportation to get back and forth to work. The only trouble I had was a dead car battery, never a ticket though. LOL

I say all that to say just be cautious about where you leave your car.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
NYC Traffic Law allows you to park a legally registered vehcile on a residential street (no alternate side) for a maximum of seven days. If a vehcile remains in the same spot for more then seven days it is considered abandoned and subject to a summons and tow. In NYC you can call 311 or make a complaint online. The police will respond and mark the tires. After seven days have passed, they will return and summons and tow the vehicle. The only exception to this is if the vehicle has no plates or bad plates (mismatch), then it will be towed immediately.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
Unless you course you live in Jamaica, where certain unplated cars seem to remain perpetually.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Unless you course you live in Jamaica, where certain unplated cars seem to remain perpetually.
Just call 311 and make a complaint. The police or the Dep. of Sanitation will remove vehicles without plates. Save your complaint number in case you have a problem and need to follow up. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM

31 posts, read 50,827 times
if there is NO Alternate Parking you can leave it for a week without getting Towed or a ticket.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM

353 posts, read 471,116 times
My neighbor parked her 25 year old toyota out front on the street for 6 months. Tires are flat but she kept the registration up to date. She didn't move it unit her inspection finally expired and she got a ticket. WHY NOT JUST GET RID OF THE CAR???

Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP559 View Post
NYC Traffic Law allows you to park a legally registered vehcile on a residential street (no alternate side) for a maximum of seven days. If a vehcile remains in the same spot for more then seven days it is considered abandoned and subject to a summons and tow. In NYC you can call 311 or make a complaint online. The police will respond and mark the tires. After seven days have passed, they will return and summons and tow the vehicle. The only exception to this is if the vehicle has no plates or bad plates (mismatch), then it will be towed immediately.
If no one complains, a ticket is unlikely no matter how long a car is parked especially in residential areas. Calling 311 will probably get some attention but not immediately.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-girl View Post
When going on vacation, is it ok (legal) to park a car on a residential street where there is no alternate side parking, for a week? I know of a such a street, in a very safe area, where there are only single family homes. I'd love to leave my car parked on that street, but fear one of the homeowners calling the police to report an abandoned car. Does anyone know what the law is, or has had any experience doing what I'm thinking of? Thanks in advance.
I know someone who used to do that when they traveled for a few weeks at a time and it was not a problem. But if you leave a car for long term in such a situation then it might get towed.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,582 times
Default Traffic Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP559 View Post
Hi, are you able to point me to the specific rule?

The NYC website makes a reference to this requirement - [url=http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/faq/481/how-long-can-a-car-with-license-plates-be-parked-on-the-street]How long can a car with license plates be parked on the street? | City of New York[/url]

However the NYC Traffic Rules (6/20/2016 version) does not contain anything to this effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City