Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:15 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
Can anyone find, or direct me to where I can find, official wording on this "if it doesn't say NY, then it's no good in NY" rule. Because I think I drank a can of Goya Peach Nectar the other day and even though it was sold in NY, on the can it said "5 cents HI-ME" There was no mention of NY.

If the container does not have "NY" listed as part of where it can be redeemed for a deposit, then it isn't here; just that simple. Not all cans and plastic beverage containers are subject to the five cents NYS surcharge/deposit at time of sale (milk for instance). With no deposit paid at purchase nothing is given back for return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Can anyone find, or direct me to where I can find, official wording on this "if it doesn't say NY, then it's no good in NY" rule. Because I think I drank a can of Goya Peach Nectar the other day and even though it was sold in NY, on the can it said "5 cents HI-ME" There was no mention of NY.
Yet again Google is your friend: New York's Bottle Bill - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 PM

NYC Theft Of Recycling Laws:

https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/tags/theft-recycling

https://newyorkgarbage.wordpress.com/recycling-theft/

Thieves inflicting paper cut$ on city | New York Post

In addition to seeing rodents and dumpster divers, when out walking around the UES/City overnight you see all sorts of persons "taking" things left out for rubbish/recycling.

Besides the homeless there is no shortage of guys in everything from rented U-Hauls to busted up Eco-vans driving around taking commercial paper, metal, mattresses, or anything else they can get their mitts on. Have seen a guy or guys going up and down the avenues or streets taking bales of paper left out but shops, supermarkets, nursing homes... all manner and sort of commercial enterprises. Have even seen them go into parking lots to the loading docks/refuse collection area of places to get at the stuff.

You put out any metal, appliance or whatever and chances are within a few hours it will be gone. Guys driving vehicles with plates from far north as MA an south as VA (if not further).

Commercial paper is a prime target because where it is placed often creates problems for enforcement. If it is up against a building that is not the "curb" subject to DSNY rules/laws. Even if left on the curb have seen DSNY enforcement drive by what is obviously a truck loaded full with bales of paper.

How much money these guys make I don't know. But if they are renting U-Hauls or other trucks every night they must be doing well enough otherwise why bother?

Old 06-04-2016, 02:52 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
My mother is interested in grabbing cans and bottles for 5 cents per each. We kind of advised her against it, but it makes her happy, so we'll rock with it. 2 quick questions:

1.) On the cans/bottles on the part where it says "5 cents" and it lists the states, can she still deposit the can or bottle even if NY is not listed? Usually it looks like "CT-NY-ME" or something like that. If NY is not listed, can she still deposit that in the machines in NY?

2.) What areas in Jackson Heights or Elmhurst (or nearby) are best for finding those machines to deposit cans and bottles in? We'd rather have her do it with machines than having to go to the cashier's conveyor belt with a couple of hundred bottles?
1. No. She won't get $0.05.

2. Your best bet would be large supermarkets. What are the big supermarkets (like Shop Rite, for example) in the area?

The older Asians in my neighborhood already have cornered the market on this. If that's the case where your mom is, she might not get much.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,242 times
We actually live in a Chinatown.

My mother is not going out every day to do this. She may only do it on the weekends. She has a connection to where she can make an additional $25-$30 per week. That's all I can say.

Does it matter if the bottles are crushed, or do they have to be in good shape? Do the labels have to be kept on the bottles when redeeming them, or does it matter if the label is not there?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:45 AM

34,027 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:

My mother is not going out every day to do this. She may only do it on the weekends. She has a connection to where she can make an additional $25-$30 per week. That's all I can say.

Does it matter if the bottles are crushed, or do they have to be in good shape? Do the labels have to be kept on the bottles when redeeming them, or does it matter if the label is not there?
You're better off asking a homeless person these questions....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2016, 10:42 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,242 times
At first I was a little mad at such a seemingly rude response, but then I realized that you are actually 100% correct.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 AM

34,027 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
At first I was a little mad at such a seemingly rude response, but then I realized that you are actually 100% correct.
Facts....I'm just saying ask an expert on that. Either a homeless person or DSNY are your best bets.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2016, 12:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:

The labels have to be there, because the machine scans the barcode.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:25 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This guy got fined $2000 for picking up an a/c that someone had put in the trash, even though the person who put it in the trash told him he could take it. He was in a car. If he had been on foot, he would not have been fined. Expensive lesson! Picking Up Used Furniture From The Curb Could Cost You!: Gothamist
That sanitation officer is a real jerk. He should've left the guy off with a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City