U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 PM

5,724 posts, read 18,884,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That would be more plausible in somewhere like Bushwick or Bedstuy, there are no visible signs of gentrification in The Bronx yet.

Is your experience in The Bronx limited to 5 blocks in Mott Haven?
To be honest, the Bronx south of the CBE is littered with Housing projects. If you're in Claremont Village, then you literally are sorrounded by housing projects.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 PM

11,455 posts, read 8,506,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
To be honest, the Bronx south of the CBE is littered with Housing projects. If you're in Claremont Village, then you literally are sorrounded by housing projects.
Yeah there quite a few housing projects depending on where you are. But I didn't feel like it dominated the whole neighborhood in any Bronx neighborhood I've been in so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not true. There are definitely signs of early gentrification in the Bronx. I live in the Bronx.
Parts of the Bronx are in the early stages of gentrification, but overall it is not visibly gentrifying. I think the extent of it is the nicely decorated Mexican restaurants in Mott Haven.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 PM

46 posts, read 101,204 times
The Largest ghetto in NYC believe it or not is..........Chinatown. It is unhealthy, housing stock old and has a host of other problems you will not read about. I know because I lived there AND work in public/urban health. That said....I agree with other posters....several neighborhoods in the Bronx (probably has the most), East New York, Brownsville...and I would through in East Harlem too. Tons of projects...

Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerie View Post
The Largest ghetto in NYC believe it or not is..........Chinatown. It is unhealthy, housing stock old and has a host of other problems you will not read about. I know because I lived there AND work in public/urban health. That said....I agree with other posters....several neighborhoods in the Bronx (probably has the most), East New York, Brownsville...and I would through in East Harlem too. Tons of projects...
Housing stock is old in most of the city, lol

It's funny reading CD posts from other cities that state a preference for newer construction (like built in the last 30 years) , when most people here don't even think about that and would gladly live in an apartment built in 1910 if it was a good deal.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,318,573 times
The Bronx up towards East 180 (2/5) and Parkchester (6) is definitely seeing some gentrification.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,417,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Stop drinking the Brownsville kool aid. Brownsville didn't even record it's first homice this year until June ! It had 0 homicides for the first half of the year, and it's supposed to be the worst? Please give me a break.

Year in and year out, Lower Central Harlem and Upper East Harlem have crapped ALL over East NY and Brownsville (last couple of years Bville has gotten really soft) in per capita crime stats. Yes, you are much more likely to be a victim of crime in Harlem than in North-East Brooklyn.

Only Eastern Bed-stuy churns out insanely high per capita crime stats on the level of Harlem and the South Bronx. That is the worst hood in Brooklyn by far.

My respects to what Brownsville was a couple of years ago. It was legitimately top 3. Not any more, and hasn't been what it used to be (which is a good thing).
Brownsville had few murders early this year but lots of murder last year; small areas have lots of random short-term variation. Average since January 2015 and the 73rd precinct had a slightly higher murder rate than the 40th. Robbery rate was 25% higher in the 40th though

https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,771,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Housing stock is old in most of the city, lol

It's funny reading CD posts from other cities that state a preference for newer construction (like built in the last 30 years) , when most people here don't even think about that and would gladly live in an apartment built in 1910 if it was a good deal.
Some people even prefer it. Has unique characteristics and their interiors are not quite so cookie cutter. Hence the charm.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Some people even prefer it. Has unique characteristics and their interiors are not quite so cookie cutter. Hence the charm.
I prefer older construction myself, those tenements you see in the LES are iconic in my opinion

Old 10-31-2016, 09:44 PM

17 posts, read 19,818 times
The whole of NYC IS "GHETTO" cause it's filthy and we're packed in like rats. What you really want to say is where are is the highest concentration of blacks and poor minorities. Just stop with the facade.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM

983 posts, read 756,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_o View Post
The whole of NYC IS "GHETTO" cause it's filthy and we're packed in like rats. What you really want to say is where are is the highest concentration of blacks and poor minorities. Just stop with the facade.
The PC rally is over there, we're discussing actual things here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City