Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times

Advertisements

I've noticed in the past year that restaurants like Mcdonalds and Wendys have security personnel to make sure that non customers do not use the bathroom. I had to use the bathroom and lied to the security guard about just making a purchase. I'm assuming homeless people or drug users do all type of nasty things in their bathrooms. Are these chains just being petty jerks? I mean who would deny somebody from using a bathroom!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
who would deny non customers ? anyone who has to clean it . these are not public restrooms

Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
For some reason, the McDonald's in midtown Manhattan usually have single occupancy bathrooms, despite being very large and busy stores, so they want to prevent non customers from ysing the already crowded bathrooms.

I'll buy a small soda or something if I need to use the bathroom but a purchase is required.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 AM

223 posts, read 255,869 times
Interesting because the bathrooms are ALWAYS "out of order". I avoid using their restrooms due to how disgusting it is most of the time.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I've noticed in the past year that restaurants like Mcdonalds and Wendys have security personnel to make sure that non customers do not use the bathroom. I had to use the bathroom and lied to the security guard about just making a purchase. I'm assuming homeless people or drug users do all type of nasty things in their bathrooms. Are these chains just being petty jerks? I mean who would deny somebody from using a bathroom!?
Unfortunately fast food places do typically have a lot of random people use the bathroom that are using it for not-so-great reasons. TBH, they are not obligated to let people use the bathroom if they aren't customers.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Most businesses in the city have always had bathrooms for customers only. Starbucks spoiled people. But these days some of them restrict access as well. Basically the more people use a bathroom the more the staff has to clean it, especially with the increase in homelessness.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Unfortunately fast food places do typically have a lot of random people use the bathroom that are using it for not-so-great reasons. TBH, they are not obligated to let people use the bathroom if they aren't customers.
I find that they usually just lock the bathrooms in areas with high rates of heroin use and homelessness

Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most businesses in the city have always had bathrooms for customers only. Starbucks spoiled people. But these days some of them restrict access as well. Basically the more people use a bathroom the more the staff has to clean it, especially with the increase in homelessness.
That's mostly just Manhattan

Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,520 times
One time I was eating at a Popeye's chicken. when I was done I asked to use their restroom. can you believe they were jerking me around saying they can not find the keys. Other customers believe the lie and left the restaurant. I had to really pay that "Water Bill"..Lol.. I asked to speak to the manager he said the same we can't find the keys. I was upset and stated out loud if you guys don't open the restroom I will squad down and urinate right here inside your store... huh!! They found that key that was ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I find that they usually just lock the bathrooms in areas with high rates of heroin use and homelessness
I don't have a lot of homeless/heroin in my area but some of the places used to lock the doors anyway and people would have to ask for a key. I think they laid off that a bit. We were somewhere in Europe and they were being super strict about the bathroom at one McDonald's---there was a woman standing outside of the door and asking to see receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
One time I was eating at a Popeye's chicken. when I was done I asked to use their restroom. can you believe they were jerking me around saying they can not find the keys. Other customers believe the lie and left the restaurant. I had to really pay that "Water Bill"..Lol.. I asked to speak to the manager he said the same we can't find the keys. I was upset and stated out loud if you guys don't open the restroom I will squad down and urinate right here inside your store... huh!! They found that key that was ridiculous.
You sound like a peach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City