Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I'm waiting to see the log numbers for Steinway too. I actually would prefer to be in the Bronx; I applied to 33 Eagle Street on a whim, but I actually have NO desire to live in Greenpoint. It serves me right because my log number is 75K

I've been called in for 3 housing lottery interviews, the first one 1 went in and never heard back from them (not eligible anymore since my income went up), the second one I was disqualified because I had over 2K in personal debt aside from student lonas (only over by like $500), but I wasn't too thrilled about the neighborhood anyway. I appealed and still did not get a response. The third called me back to give in documents a second time and I probably would have gotten it, but I got a new job and my income increased, so I was no longer eligible (not too sad anyway because I wasn't crazy about that neighborhood either).

I'm not so sure that low log numbers are automatically a boost, because for two lotteries, I got 180 something and 400 something, respectively, and have yet to be called in (I also have a municipal employee preference too).
Steinway log numbers are up - I'm even further down the list than the Greenpoint one, in the 47,000s. Anyway, on to waiting for 461 Dean St. numbers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:57 AM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Steinway log numbers are up - I'm even further down the list than the Greenpoint one, in the 47,000s. Anyway, on to waiting for 461 Dean St. numbers...
44k for Steinway. Like I said, not too upset, as Bronx is my preference. I do love the amenities of 461 Dean Street as well and hope I get something low for it. I also applied to MGM Apartments, which is meh, but that might actually pull through for me depending on my log number because I live in the Community Board and have municipal employee preference. They're rehab units, not a new development, and the neighborhood isn't the greatest. Then again with how scarce affordable housing is in NYC, I guess I have to take what I can get.

The housing lottery is very flawed, but we have to deal with it. The rent ratios are very off, because they're using gross vs. net incomes to calculate the 30% threshold, so after taxes, most people are going to have to pay between 40%-50% of their take home pay on rent. For someone like me with student loans from a private university, that's more than I would like to pay, if I want any chance of having enough money at the end of the month to build some savings. I'm in the process of either getting a second part time gig, and/or a better paying full time position. They also don't have many apartments in the 40k-60k range (which I am in) and apartments for people in the less than 30k income range. If they added more apartment lotteries in both of those categories, and adjust the rents to meet the 30% of the net vs. gross income threshold, it would be a much better opportunity.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I agree the rent ratios for affordable housing are often anything but affordable. If it was me, I would use the very simple formula of dropping the last two digits of one's annual salary and multiply by two to determine monthly rent - the resulting number seems a much more realistic target of affordability (comes out to slightly over 24% of gross income).

Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 PM

12 posts, read 78,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Good luck!
You too!!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess212 View Post
You too!!
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

56 posts, read 93,470 times
my log number is 245 and I haven't been contacted. Only 5 apts available in my income category. I guess that's why? I've been trying for 18 years or so.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynTransplant View Post
my log number is 245 and I haven't been contacted. Only 5 apts available in my income category. I guess that's why? I've been trying for 18 years or so.
What a great log number. It's too bad there are so few apartments!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM

56 posts, read 93,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What a great log number. It's too bad there are so few apartments!
I know. I usually get number 40K-60K, so really good. Maybe that's the log number for the specific category and not the entire lottery. No idea. Are interviews done? Has anyone here interviewed? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
my log #'s for the apartments that have been announced so far are 20K, 16K, 15K, 3K, and 60K.

I was notified for two open dates for an interview for the 3K one. GM Properties spread out over six buildings in the bronx. I didn't go and then got another email last week saying they opened up another day for interviews and was invited. I think it's next week or so. Maybe it was this week. I did research on the 6 rehabbed bronx buildings and they are all DUMPS. Google the addresses and you find hundreds of articles about how the properties changed hands over the years and the awful living conditions the tenants live in and violations, etc. I don't want to move to the bronx and pay (around 1200 dollars for a one bedroom) just to get a renovated bathroom and kitchen if I am living with people who don't have renovated apartments themselves. I don't think they emptied out any of those buildings. The last thing I want to do is be a gentrifier up there, and honestly i'd rather rent from a private landlord for that amount. Not so affordable in my mind. But sucks because all the GOOD housing is for people in a much lower income range. grrrr. of course I shouldn't get butt hurt about such things, but it's hard not to haha.

I think I did get preference because of my hearing disability (which I don't even know if they'd consider it a disability since I am only deaf on one ear).

The whole process you guys are going through though, I wish you all the best of luck!!! I was debating going through the interview process just to get a feel for it.. But it's all cut and dry what they want you to provide and my finances are very simple, nothing complex. I do wonder though, if I'll get blacklisted for turning down the interview for this project!?

The six buildings included in this lottery were in the soundview and highbridge sections of the bronx, I am not familiar with them at all. Watch me kick myself in the butt 10 years from now! They just don't seem like pleasant places to live right now, and the pricing seems off to me, and the fact that all 6 of these buildings have so many articles about them as being awful turns me off. MAYBE I would do it if I didn't have a dog. (do they even accept dogs?) I LAUGHED the other day when in another affordable housing thread someone said they allow two pets, 30 pounds each. :/ GRRRRR What about one pet that's 60? My dog is 59 pounds. I've walked dogs in crappy neighborhoods before and it's never pleasant. Sorry if anyone reading this lives in those neighborhoods and me calling it crappy, I don't mean it as an insult, but for a dog these neighborhoods are not okay (the same way many people would feel about raising a kid).

Anyway, best of luck!!! please share about the actual interview experiences, I think those give a lot of people here the most valuable information, though I am sure it's all dependent on the development.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:16 AM

33 posts, read 59,952 times
Who here has been called for an interview for 33 Eagle st. and if so what apartment size did you apply for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City