Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times

Advertisements

Hi all -
Long story short, my wife lost her well paying professional job of over 15 years this year due to cutbacks at her company, but I am still working thankfully. She is now on my health insurance but it stinks since it has huge deductibles.

We decided to start a family this year since she is out of work and it will allow her to be with baby for a few months until she goes back to work fulltime in early 2017, until then we are a single income family.

Her bills have started rolling in from the doctor visits and they are pretty nuts, we are in the hook for the first $4000 until my insurance kicks in 100%.

She was recently approved for unemployment insurance payments which is great and it helps us out, wondering if this would also help her get medicaid during pregnancy so that we can use it as secondary insurance?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:57 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Hi all -
Long story short, my wife lost her well paying professional job of over 15 years this year due to cutbacks at her company, but I am still working thankfully. She is now on my health insurance but it stinks since it has huge deductibles.

We decided to start a family this year since she is out of work and it will allow her to be with baby for a few months until she goes back to work fulltime in early 2017, until then we are a single income family.

Her bills have started rolling in from the doctor visits and they are pretty nuts, we are in the hook for the first $4000 until my insurance kicks in 100%.

She was recently approved for unemployment insurance payments which is great and it helps us out, wondering if this would also help her get medicaid during pregnancy so that we can use it as secondary insurance?

Thanks
If you are working, then your family income is surely higher than the Medicaid limit, no?
How would your wife possibly qualify for Medicaid?

(Even just unemployment insurance payments are higher than the Medicaid limit sometimes).

Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Is your wife staying in network for all her doctors and medical facilities? Usually that helps cut expenses.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 40,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Hi all -

Thanks
Medicaid is the payer of last resort, so I believe as long as you are working and your job offers insurance (good or bad) she will not be eligible for medicaid. If your job did not offer insurance and your income met the Medicaid guidelines, she may be eligible. If you are slightly over the income limit you will be required to spend down the excess income. Medicaid will not allow you to have that much of a savings, except a certain amount for burial expenses.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysolitude View Post
Medicaid is the payer of last resort, so I believe as long as you are working and your job offers insurance (good or bad) she will not be eligible for medicaid. If your job did not offer insurance and your income met the Medicaid guidelines, she may be eligible. If you are slightly over the income limit you will be required to spend down the excess income. Medicaid will not allow you to have that much of a savings, except a certain amount for burial expenses.
You are mixing up medicaid with medicare.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
I believe for non-elderly/non-disabled people, there is now no resource limit for Medicaid (you can have savings)

Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Once again, Google is your friend:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hia/html/hom...nt_women.shtml

https://www.health.ny.gov/community/...tal/income.htm

Why don't persons at least try and research information on their own before asking advice from random strangers?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:

Income limit for a single person to qualify for Medicaid....$825.00
Resource limits........ $ 2,000

for a couple it is slightly higher, I think $ 1,100 and 3,000

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are mixing up medicaid with medicare.
Applies also to Medilcaid

Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 AM

[quote=BugsyPal;44419687]Once again, Google is your friend:

Office of Citywide Health Insurance Access

https://www.health.ny.gov/community/...tal/income.htm

These are the new guideliness for extended medicaid according to Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City