Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,659,617 times

Advertisements

While I was on 3rd Street, in Park Slope, both parts of the MS 51 schoolyard had softball tournaments. A lady came door to door asking people to sign a petition to remove the softball leagues, citing too much noise and too much beer. My views were that softball leagues are a good thing for the community, and that the alcohol was a legit issue and could be dealt with.

What happened after? A developer who bought a adjacent warehouse on 4th Avenue bought part of the schoolyard to store his bricks, in order to build his condo. No more softball tournaments, even on the available part of the schoolyard.

The part where the bricks were at became sort of a backyard for the condo residents. The 'available' part had artificial grass put on it, and made to look sort of like a 'mini-block meadow'. No more softball tournaments.

With that said, doesn't Brooklyn Bridge have national hoop tournaments on ESPN? That will be a hard sell to get rid of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,675,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Tennis courts will only result in more gunfire, fights and police involvement. We all know what tennis is like.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 AM

12,774 posts, read 8,235,689 times
I think it is odd that these people come from so far just to play basketball. What is wrong with the basketball courts in their neighborhoods?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think it is odd that these people come from so far just to play basketball. What is wrong with the basketball courts in their neighborhoods?
People should be free to play on any court in the city. But obviously there should be repercussions if there's rowdyness and violence

Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,355,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
F em. Same people want to move to Brooklyn and gentrify it and won't send their kids to PS 307 and be part of the community. I hope they tear up the park.
Wasn't Brooklyn Heights rich and white for a very long time? And always gentrified.

Visited the park this time, it's nice; just don't give in to the anti-basketball neighbors.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,284,411 times
Basketball is part of Brooklyn culture. Even back when it was a bunch of white dudes in daisy dukes. The liberal racists need to do better research before they drop $5m plus on a Brooklyn brownstone or penthouse.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM

12,774 posts, read 8,235,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
People should be free to play on any court in the city. But obviously there should be repercussions if there's rowdyness and violence
While you are correct, you didn't answer my question. One teen in the article says that he avoids certain streets in the neighborhood. Why go through all of that just to play basketball? Neighborhoods change anyway. If the residents aren't using it and feel that the courts should be used for something else, it is their right to request that changes are made. Money (an abundance of or lack thereof) really should have no influence on the discussion.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
While you are correct, you didn't answer my question.
The answer is because it's a really nice facility. It's sparkling new, clean, and ultra scenic right on the water with a front row view of Downtown manhattan. That being said, most of the kids are coming from a nearby housing project. It's actually not that far from where they live even though some are coming down from the Bronx and other parts of the city

Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM

379 posts, read 254,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

“Sometimes I try and avoid going on Joralemon,” said Aaliyah Johnson, 17, who is black and travels from Flatbush to play basketball. “It’s like they look at you, move their kids over like you’re going to do something, and clutch on to their purse. Your doing that — it just makes us not feel welcome. We just came here to play basketball.”
I also know some people who, when talking about the LA Fitness gym they joined, happily say "It's not like the other ones. You know, there's no basketball court at this one."

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM

14,039 posts, read 13,865,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
While I was on 3rd Street, in Park Slope, both parts of the MS 51 schoolyard had softball tournaments. A lady came door to door asking people to sign a petition to remove the softball leagues, citing too much noise and too much beer. My views were that softball leagues are a good thing for the community, and that the alcohol was a legit issue and could be dealt with.

What happened after? A developer who bought a adjacent warehouse on 4th Avenue bought part of the schoolyard to store his bricks, in order to build his condo. No more softball tournaments, even on the available part of the schoolyard.

The part where the bricks were at became sort of a backyard for the condo residents. The 'available' part had artificial grass put on it, and made to look sort of like a 'mini-block meadow'. No more softball tournaments.

With that said, doesn't Brooklyn Bridge have national hoop tournaments on ESPN? That will be a hard sell to get rid of that!

They got cash it wont be that hard for residents to get of baskebtall court.

Last edited by BPt111; 06-24-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City