Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
it exists today even in minority cultures. there are asian families, jewish families who prefer their children marry within their own race/religion. i dated a jewish girl in college, the looks of horror i got when i went to one of her family's events in brooklyn i will never forget. i knew a few asian girls who were basically disowned for marrying a hispanic and a black man. are you aware of the amount of scorn a black man receives from his community when he marries a white woman? i'm for multiculturalism, but look, most people prefer to be with those who share similar heritage, culture, religion and so on.. this has never changed and why you have hoods and townships that have a distinct race identity.

but when whites do that, it's racist.
I don't know whether the word "prefer" is correct. I thinks its more of a fear-driven behavior, and cultural conditioning. Fear of social disapproval and standing out, fear of wearing a red T-shirt when everyone else is wearing the gray T shirt.

More and more its being disassembled as people have recognized it as bogus, as people recognize that culture and religions are not genetically determined - they are voluntary. As people are less and less afraid to pursue what they want its dissolving to a new equilibrium - at least in places where the social pressure to conform to one "ideal" is not strong. (So rural Texas will not have the same outcome as a cosmopolitan city like NYC or SF).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM

175 posts, read 421,658 times
Quote:
again, episcoalians are NOT wasps.
Now I've heard everything

Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
I am an Episcopalian. I understand the notion that they are not Protestant in a sense. But Anglicans are Protestants.
I use Anglicans and Episcopal interchangeably btw.

Anglicans like to see themselves as being in the middle of the Catholic and Protestant Churches. The most High Church of us see themselves as being Catholic. But there are still many Low Church inclined people who see themselves as Protestants. In fact if you look at the signs of may Episcopal Churches in NYC you will see the Churches called " The Episcopal Protestant Church "

Lutherans also have members who state they are Catholic as well, less so then Episcopalians. These Lutherans will argue that Luther never meant to leave the Catholic Church but reform it so therefore they are Catholic. Non-the less Lutherans are Protestant.

What else can be said ?????????

Last edited by bxlover; 06-27-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM

491 posts, read 375,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's one thing to have intimate relationships and marriages only with one's group. That's really a personal decision.

I think we can all agree that that's different than having INSTITUTIONS that exclude whole groups of people.

(It sounds like you were hurt by your Jewish girlfriend's reaction to you, so this topic is a bit personal for you)
no, it wasn't my gf's reaction, it was her family and family peers. it was clear i would never be welcome in her extremely conservative family. they were clearly racist against me, because i am a white gentile and the relationship ended because she realized it could never work. i even attempted the conversion thing, so i have first hand experience in the conversion "process" or lack of. i was basically told by at least 5 rabbis that it was basically impossible. this kind of thing exists in all races, cultures, subcultures, as much as you want to deny it.

a racquet club isn't an "institution", it's a privately owned business. an institution would be a public school, govt building, hospital, etc..
marriage is also an "institution". there is still blatant racism with regards to multi racial unions here in the 21st century and it goes both ways. it's not just by "evil white people".

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 06-27-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 12:54 PM

491 posts, read 375,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't know whether the word "prefer" is correct. I thinks its more of a fear-driven behavior, and cultural conditioning. Fear of social disapproval and standing out, fear of wearing a red T-shirt when everyone else is wearing the gray T shirt.

More and more its being disassembled as people have recognized it as bogus, as people recognize that culture and religions are not genetically determined - they are voluntary. As people are less and less afraid to pursue what they want its dissolving to a new equilibrium - at least in places where the social pressure to conform to one "ideal" is not strong. (So rural Texas will not have the same outcome as a cosmopolitan city like NYC or SF).
there are very few interracial marriages in nyc. nyc is extremely enclaved by class and race. nyc is known for it's homogenous neighborhoods. you have places like flushing which is pretty much all chinese, places like bensonhurst which is all italian, your hispanic, black and orthodox neighborhoods, etc. and then you have areas where it's completely white. today's liberal urban centers are alot more enclaved and segregated than you may think.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 06-27-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
there are very few interracial marriages in nyc. nyc is extremely enclaved by class and race. nyc is known for it's homogenous neighborhoods. you have places like flushing which is pretty much all chinese, places like bensonhurst which is all italian, your hispanic, black and orthodox neighborhoods, etc. and then you have areas where it's completely white. today's liberal urban centers are alot more enclaved and segregated than you may think.
Just an aside: but Bensonhurst is no longer all Italian, it is no longer even largely Italian.
Many/most of the Italians have moved to Staten Island, NJ, or other suburbs.

Bensonhurst is now mostly Chinese and Eastern European.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
no, it wasn't my gf's reaction, it was her family and family peers. it was clear i would never be welcome in her extremely conservative family. they were clearly racist against me, because i am a white gentile and the relationship ended because she realized it could never work. i even attempted the conversion thing, so i have first hand experience in the conversion "process" or lack of. i was basically told by at least 5 rabbis that it was basically impossible. this kind of thing exists in all races, cultures, subcultures, as much as you want to deny it.

a racquet club isn't an "institution", it's a privately owned business. an institution would be a public school, govt building, hospital, etc..
marriage is also an "institution". there is still blatant racism with regards to multi racial unions here in the 21st century and it goes both ways. it's not just by "evil white people".
I'm sorry that you were hurt by your girlfriend's parents' reaction to your relationship, and that the relationship had to end as a result.

It also strikes me that when you approached rabbis regarding conversion to Judaism, they discouraged you/wouldn't help you, perhaps because they realized you were motivated because you wanted to be with your girlfriend.
This isn't considered a valid reason to convert to Judaism. One must truly want to be a Jew and live as a Jew.

A Racquet's Club is a privately owned social club. When it specifically excludes particular races/ethnicities, it is racist. Please don't defend it and pretend that that's somehow "okay."

Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
I am Episcopalian and not white. Would the author of this thread not worship with me ? Jesus came to seperate mother from daughter in law and fathers from sons. In other words to break down what is considered your family and tribe and nation to expand our notion of what our family should be.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Not true. Many Mexicans and Other non Black Hispanics live in upper Manhattan along side Blacks. Many Russians and Chinese live in South Brooklyn areas like Bensonhurst. You have whites and Asians in upper Manhattan. Woodside is Irish, Hispanic, and Filipino. You are using your rejection by your girlfriend and projecting that onto everyone. If you count more races besides Black and White NY is not that segregated.

Also this is way off topic. Op asked about white Protestant churches in Msnhattan. There are definitely Presybterian churches. I would call the Episcopalians Protestant as well since they broke off from the Catholic Church.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Ivy League now has lots of Jews and Asians.

However, prior to the 1970's, they actively tried to restrict Jews coming to Ivy League schools like Yale and Harvard because they felt Jews were changing the (Protestant) "character" of the schools.

Research it. It is a well-known fact that Harvard and Yale had quotas on how many Jews they would accept through the 60s to avoid the school getting "overrun" with Jews (many of whom had the grades to get in, but were not accepted).
But this is decades after the fact, so I do not see the relevance of this. I know very well what both the GI bill and the civil right bill did, but this is way off topic from the OP. All the OP asked for is what churches in Manhattan were white Protestant. Going in about the Ivy League's history is way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City