Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 PM

162 posts, read 248,831 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sycamore6000;47367716]The bill for the prorated rent for those who have moved in this month after the 15th was handed out Monday afternoon of this week. I didn't realize the due date is just 2 days later, TODAY, and it had to be sent via mail! This is incredibly short-notice! Essentially management expects everyone to send it to them via Fedex and incur the expenses as this is the only way possible to receive the payment today if they handed it out Monday afternoon. I don't even come home from work until the evening leaving me only the next day Tuesday before I get a chance to send anything out! I hope this is not a sign of things to come [/QUOTE

You have until the 10th of the month for mgmt to receive the rent. I just received mine at my door yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:33 AM

126 posts, read 169,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledVermonter View Post
DiddleBee, I don't think you should worry about setting up gas at all, it's covered in the rent. I would just ignore the directive to contact National Grid.

For anyone wondering about the fire alarm/sprinkler situation---I may have been the first person to set off their alarm (I had a seared steak that I was finishing off in the oven.) Lessons: 1. those things are mighty sensitive. I didn't even see smoke and they were going off. 2. It seems to take forever of waving towels at them to get them to stop. And in my two-bedroom apartment it feels like there are 5 of them that all go off. And they are super shrill. 3. The sprinklers are not activated by the fire alarms. To my knowledge sprinklers are heat activated so no sprinkler action here tonight.
I got you beat..I set off the alarms on my 2nd night here also for steaks lol. I panicked and called the super thinking the sprinkler was gonna go off. like you said, they are activated by heat not smoke. what I learned from that point on is anything I cook that will cause any amounts of smoke, use the fan exhaust on top of the stove. turn it on to high. I cooked seared pork chops the following night among other things over the past 2 weeks and the alarm has not gone off since the first time as long as I have the exhaust on.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 AM

13 posts, read 13,111 times
Yep, that stove fan is going to get a lot of use from now on. I guess I should be reassured that the smoke alarms are so sensitive and persistent, but it's made me a little more careful about getting my carnivore on.

On a related note----has anyone else checked out that supermarket a block over on 37th street? Best Yet Market? I went in there last night and I was seriously wondering if I had stepped into a weird portal because it really is the Best Yet Market. As in so nice, you wonder what the hell it's doing there and need to pinch yourself. It's huge, wide aisles, extremely clean, has a seafood counter I might actually consider buying from, etc. Also the margherita pizza from Astoria Pizza Factory was pretty damn good. I was worried about the area being a bit of a back water but there is some really good stuff around!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 AM

189 posts, read 287,579 times
Quote:
Yep, that stove fan is going to get a lot of use from now on. I guess I should be reassured that the smoke alarms are so sensitive and persistent, but it's made me a little more careful about getting my carnivore on.

On a related note----has anyone else checked out that supermarket a block over on 37th street? Best Yet Market? I went in there last night and I was seriously wondering if I had stepped into a weird portal because it really is the Best Yet Market. As in so nice, you wonder what the hell it's doing there and need to pinch yourself. It's huge, wide aisles, extremely clean, has a seafood counter I might actually consider buying from, etc. Also the margherita pizza from Astoria Pizza Factory was pretty damn good. I was worried about the area being a bit of a back water but there is some really good stuff around!

They also sell hot food by the pound!!! if you're ever looking for something quick on the go

Question to all....

How are the floors in your apartment?

Mine have little gaps in between and the dust and crumbs go in there when I try to sweep it up.

OH how does the intercom work? LOL I dont think they are connected in the physical apt just downstairs?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

The Best Yet Market is really nice but the groceries are noticeably cheaper at Trade Fair which is 2 avenues away on Ditmars blvd and 37th ST. Nowhere near as nice as Best Yet but I rather save money and buy my groceries at Trade fair.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post
They also sell hot food by the pound!!! if you're ever looking for something quick on the go

Question to all....

How are the floors in your apartment?

Mine have little gaps in between and the dust and crumbs go in there when I try to sweep it up.

OH how does the intercom work? LOL I dont think they are connected in the physical apt just downstairs?
My floors also have little gaps. I sweep every day and use a shopvac on the weekends to get the dust from the grooves.

My intercom works, but the buzzer does not.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM

I love Best Yet Market, been there 3 times. Last visit I brought my shopping cart..they have everything.

I noticed the spacing in the floors too.

My intercom and buzzer works.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM

189 posts, read 287,579 times
How are you cleaning the floors in terms of wetting them? I bought a swiffer the dry one but it came with a few wet towels anybody try the wet towels on the floor? I don't want to mess up the floors... I bought these pictured below, haven't tried them yet

Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM

I use the swiffer wet. We can always ask the super the best way to clean them. I was told by Langsam he installed the floors.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 71,072 times
Hi guys,

I decided not to move here so if anyone's waiting for a 1BR at the $1800 level they may be in luck! thanks to all for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery