Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM

162 posts, read 248,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
The high ceilings make the place look even bigger. I'm still in love with my apartment. Sometimes I sit on my couch, zone out and look around for a few minutes lol.
LOL..I do the same thing. When I wake up every morning, I still can believe I live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM

13 posts, read 13,111 times
Quote:
Does anyones thermostat work? Air conditioners? With summer coming up I wouldlike to figure this out. I have messed with both and none seem to blow cold air
I also didn't understand at first how these work. The answer is that the air vents in Front of the window ineach room are individually controlled. If you go to the far right of the vent, you can lift up the panel, and from there you can set it to heat or cool, control the fan speed, and turn it on and off.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 AM

126 posts, read 169,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledVermonter View Post
I also didn't understand at first how these work. The answer is that the air vents in Front of the window ineach room are individually controlled. If you go to the far right of the vent, you can lift up the panel, and from there you can set it to heat or cool, control the fan speed, and turn it on and off.
Thanks for the tip, but I had already investigated and found the controls months ago on the units

I called the super yesterday and he came to my apt to check it out. The unit in the bedroom works fine but the one in the living room is unfortunately defective. Apparently a few apts in the building have had defective units installed. At least now I know i'm not incompetent because i thought I simply couldn't figure out the thermostat controls lol. My unit will turn on, blow warm air when COOL is selected then shut off with an error code. Here is a picture of what the display of my unit looks like after shutting off by itself:

So a tip to my fellow neighbors...If any of your PTAC units are throwing this error, call the super and inform him. He will work with you to dispatch a tech out to fix the problem. Good thing i caught this before the real hot weather starts.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
They vary. I can't recall the exact number but i believe mine was either 720~ or 760~ sq ft. I was shown another slightly smaller 1 bedroom that I think was ~620sq ft. These numbers were told to me by the Langsam representative that showed me the apartments when I went to choose which one I wanted.

Can I ask - why are some 620 and others 100 sq ft bigger? A balcony would not take up 100 sq ft to compensate for the difference. That seems like too much of a difference for a one bedroom.

Also, how do you find the walking to the subway? Think when it's really cold and snowy outside - or when it's drizzling ice chips. (the worst of the worst weather!) Do you think you'll have a much harder commute?

Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM

126 posts, read 169,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Can I ask - why are some 620 and others 100 sq ft bigger? A balcony would not take up 100 sq ft to compensate for the difference. That seems like too much of a difference for a one bedroom.

Also, how do you find the walking to the subway? Think when it's really cold and snowy outside - or when it's drizzling ice chips. (the worst of the worst weather!) Do you think you'll have a much harder commute?
Just the way the building is laid out. I dont think ive ever been to a building where every apt is an exact clone of another, with the exception of the apartment directly below and above. Regarding sq footage, I might be wrong, Langsam might be wrong. But the other apartment I saw and the one i currently live in were laid out completely different. Mine has floor to ceiling windows, the other one I saw did not and the kitchen was sideways.

Walking to the subway, you get used to it. Unless you are disabled, its good cardio to walk everyday so I enjoy it. When its cold and snowy I will just wear boots and bundle up. If you are worried about the commute, just get a car. No offense, but I never understood the gripes of the commuting distance. Its not like we live 5 miles away from a train station. It's less than a mile and if you speed walk its 12 minutes flat.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM

189 posts, read 287,579 times
What is the square footage of the more expensive studios?

Just curious to compare sizing vs price.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM

[quote=stormgal;48200525]Can I ask - why are some 620 and others 100 sq ft bigger? A balcony would not take up 100 sq ft to compensate for the difference. That seems like too much of a difference for a one bedroom.

Also, how do you find the walking to the subway? Think when it's really cold and snowy outside - or when it's drizzling ice chips. (the worst of the worst weather!) Do you think you'll have a much harder commute? [/QUOTE

My balcony is very large, more than 100 sq feet.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:47 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
[quote=DiddleBee;48204867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

Also, how do you find the walking to the subway? Think when it's really cold and snowy outside - or when it's drizzling ice chips. (the worst of the worst weather!) Do you think you'll have a much harder commute? [/QUOTE

My balcony is very large, more than 100 sq feet.
I'm thinking if I accept, I may go for larger rather than a balcony. If this were Hunters Point South Living, I'd take the balcony cause it has views to Manhattan. But a balcony to views other than anything else is iffy to me. Can you guys view Manhattan? What are your views like?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 AM

[quote=stormgal;48205352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddleBee View Post

I'm thinking if I accept, I may go for larger rather than a balcony. If this were Hunters Point South Living, I'd take the balcony cause it has views to Manhattan. But a balcony to views other than anything else is iffy to me. Can you guys view Manhattan? What are your views like?
I was also shown a larger 1 bedroom, but looked out the window and saw the balcony below and knew I wanted the balcony apt.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM

41 posts, read 54,205 times
Has anyone noticed that the water presser has decreased?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery