Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM

162 posts, read 248,853 times

Advertisements

There is a waste water treatment plant a few blocks away and we are not far from the East River. This would account the strange smell outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 AM

189 posts, read 287,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddleBee View Post
Why did they put the smoke alarms so high? I can't even reach them if I need to test or change the batteries.

I know right! Ugh! And also if it happens to go off because your cooking a piece of steak like it happened in earlier posts and it happened to me recently lol - I had to get up on a chair and blow air with a sturdy cardboard - open the window and the balcony door.

And when the lights burn out in the kitchen how the heck are we gonna reach that to change them?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Well, I finally received the call that I have been approved. I did not give them an answer yet until I see the apartments I've been assigned. (I was given a choice of two - like everyone else here. I"m surprised they still have that many options)

But.........

Today, I was also called to submit paperwork for the lottery of my dreams - the one I wanted since I had started with this affordable lottery mania on this board.

So now I don't know what to do. Steinway has huge apartments, and they're so gorgeous. I have always wanted an apartment like the ones at this lottery. But - it may extend my commute - I'm still wondering about that. Plus it's outside of Manhattan and they don't allow pets. (I can live without both of these things, but....)

With the other lottery of my dreams, the apartment may not be too big, plus I don't know if they're going to stick me in a studio or in a one bedroom. I really don't want a studio, but I love the location - right across the street from my job in Manhattan! And they allow pets! So I will be tending my pet during lunch time. I mean, how many people can do that?

I don't want to give up Steinway if this other lottery is not a sure thing, or if they place me on a waiting list.

Decisions, decisions....

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
47,xxx - yeah, no chance on this one.
Well, well, well...just got a letter today about making an appointment to interview and submit documents for this building. I am only eligible for the 1 bedroom at $1861, which is pretty high for me, and with seemingly little or no improvement in my commute, I am not sure I am going to pursue this. I might give this more consideration if the studios were available, especially since the apartments are sounding like they are of a good size. This is the second time I have been called for a Housing Connect place with no preference and a relatively high number, so the motto is to never give up hope!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM

483 posts, read 691,779 times
Ditto, the tenants talking it up are doing a good job of selling the place and should get commission (tell 'em I said so... lol), but I am currently well fixed for housing, so going to remove myself. Just wanted to memorialize that (a) I got the letter; and (b) I had been a whopping 43xxx in the selection process, so clearly anything can happen.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
So... today, I redid my commute into Manhattan today, and it was a complete nightmare. Given, it's Saturday, but my commute was too long, and I'm the type of girl who falls asleep on the train.

I am not sure I am going to pursue this further...

AS for the apartments themselves in case a reader comes across these posts:

I'll have to tell you that they're awesome. The ones that they had reserved for me are big and both had balconies:

On one of the balconies of the unit I was offered, you can actually see the Empire State Building and that ridiculous 432 Park Avenue, "tallest residential building in the world" Some other remnants of Manhattan can also be seen, plus parts of the Bronx and some NYCHA projects therein.

I can imagine myself chatting on the phone with that view - sitting on the balcony in the evenings after work. Or even having meals there. So for whoever gets the apartment, you'll have some great self therapy time.

None of sides of the apartments that I was offered faced Steinway. (I thought about the garbage truck noise that someone else here had complained about, so noise pollution was out of the question).

The other apartment was also nice, but didn't have the tiny Manhattan views. However, the balcony was in the bedroom, not in the living room. I thought the layout of that apartment was interesting, and I actually liked that apartment better as the livingroom is much more spacious.

The only negative (for me) is the commute. I can't justify extending my commute, so most likely I'm not going for any of the units.

On a side note, I thought that both the woman who handled my application, and the super where both professional and both have done (and are doing) an outstanding job. Good luck to you all who pursue these apartments!

Old 06-10-2017, 03:17 PM

189 posts, read 287,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
So... today, I redid my commute into Manhattan today, and it was a complete nightmare. Given, it's Saturday, but my commute was too long, and I'm the type of girl who falls asleep on the train.

I am not sure I am going to pursue this further...

AS for the apartments themselves in case a reader comes across these posts:

I'll have to tell you that they're awesome. The ones that they had reserved for me are big and both had balconies:

On one of the balconies of the unit I was offered, you can actually see the Empire State Building and that ridiculous 432 Park Avenue, "tallest residential building in the world" Some other remnants of Manhattan can also be seen, plus parts of the Bronx and some NYCHA projects therein.

I can imagine myself chatting on the phone with that view - sitting on the balcony in the evenings after work. Or even having meals there. So for whoever gets the apartment, you'll have some great self therapy time.

None of sides of the apartments that I was offered faced Steinway. (I thought about the garbage truck noise that someone else here had complained about, so noise pollution was out of the question).

The other apartment was also nice, but didn't have the tiny Manhattan views. However, the balcony was in the bedroom, not in the living room. I thought the layout of that apartment was interesting, and I actually liked that apartment better as the livingroom is much more spacious.

The only negative (for me) is the commute. I can't justify extending my commute, so most likely I'm not going for any of the units.

On a side note, I thought that both the woman who handled my application, and the super where both professional and both have done (and are doing) an outstanding job. Good luck to you all who pursue these apartments!
Oh man you can't compare commute from a weekday to a weekend. On weekends all lines are screwed up. I commute in the morning from the ditmars stop on the N to downtown Manhattan on the 4 and get there in under an hour. I would really try the commute during a weekday to see how it truly is - for me its been smooth except for one day when there were signal problems.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:48 PM

162 posts, read 248,853 times
Hate to be negative but is anyone on the Steinway Street side worried about additional noise from the loading dock when these stores are leased?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM

126 posts, read 169,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post
I know right! Ugh! And also if it happens to go off because your cooking a piece of steak like it happened in earlier posts and it happened to me recently lol - I had to get up on a chair and blow air with a sturdy cardboard - open the window and the balcony door.

And when the lights burn out in the kitchen how the heck are we gonna reach that to change them?

Buy a Ladder. I have a ladder about 8 feet high that I store in one of the closets since the closet ceiling is as high as the ceiling in the living room. Great design.

When the smoke detector goes off, no need to blow the air with cardboard. Get a pole like a broom or mop, and using the tip, you can use it to reach and push the button on the smoke detector. Hold it for about 5 seconds and it shuts off the obnoxious beeping right away. All the smoke detectors in a apartment seem to be linked, because if i push the button on one it shuts the others off.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM

126 posts, read 169,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddleBee View Post
Hate to be negative but is anyone on the Steinway Street side worried about additional noise from the loading dock when these stores are leased?
The noise now with he construction going on is deafening at 7am. It sucks but what can we do. As for the additional noise from the loading dock, I doubt its as loud as the noise level now lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery