Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,565 times

Advertisements

I went to my second appealing today, and I was told to wait another 2-10 months for the final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 18,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasworks View Post
I went to my second appealing today, and I was told to wait another 2-10 months for the final decision.
Why did you have to appeal twice?

Old 02-02-2017, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,565 times
A week after my first appeal, I received another rejection asks for my PayPal statements.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:23 PM

34 posts, read 62,329 times
I had my second interview today. Signed all necessary paperwork for files to be submitted to HDP. The woman who worked with me was nice but very thorough and had me clarify a series of deposits that were made to my checking account - I wasn't expecting that level of detail. It was definitely nerve racking. By the end of it she said everything was ready to go to HDC. I have an appointment next week to view my potential 1-bedroom apt. That through me off since I didn't think the building was done with construction. I asked about move-in timelines and she said people may start moving in as early as March but more likely starting in April. That being said, I'm sure potential move-in dates could take much longer for people depending on their log #. Hope this helps with expectations etc... I'm not getting my hopes up since I know HDC can deny people for any minor detail. Should be 1-3 weeks to hear back from HDC.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
I had my second interview today. Signed all necessary paperwork for files to be submitted to HDP. The woman who worked with me was nice but very thorough and had me clarify a series of deposits that were made to my checking account - I wasn't expecting that level of detail. It was definitely nerve racking. By the end of it she said everything was ready to go to HDC. I have an appointment next week to view my potential 1-bedroom apt. That through me off since I didn't think the building was done with construction. I asked about move-in timelines and she said people may start moving in as early as March but more likely starting in April. That being said, I'm sure potential move-in dates could take much longer for people depending on their log #. Hope this helps with expectations etc... I'm not getting my hopes up since I know HDC can deny people for any minor detail. Should be 1-3 weeks to hear back from HDC.

Which building are you getting into? 535 carlton? That building is not even finish yet, and they told me that people would be moving into the building in the summer the earliest.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybrownie View Post
Which building are you getting into? 535 carlton? That building is not even finish yet, and they told me that people would be moving into the building in the summer the earliest.
Yes, for Carlton. They have permits to begin moving people in before construction is complete. I take everything I hear from management with a grain of salt but that is what I was told and I will be viewing an apt next week.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 PM

114 posts, read 180,146 times
They have a C of O for the lowest six floors, I believe. It's possible that you could move in soon. A lot of other people will likely come later. Congrats, gowanus!

Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 PM

74 posts, read 131,341 times
Has anyone walked by recently? I was at MHANY a week ago and they said they had no idea about move in dates so it's a bit surprising that people are touring already.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4567 View Post
Has anyone walked by recently? I was at MHANY a week ago and they said they had no idea about move in dates so it's a bit surprising that people are touring already.
I've walked by. The building is still very much under construction. I can't imagine how anyone could be moving in there anytime soon.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
This doesn't seem to match the typical process that most of us are both told to expect and do in fact experience:
  1. Eligibility interview (just ONE, unless you have something missing and they ask you to come back)
  2. File sent to HDC; have to wait (typically A LONG TIME) until they assess it. Someone may call with questions (I was called about a couple of things they didn't understand on my bank statements)
  3. If rejected, rejection letter mailed out; must appeal within time if you think you have reason to do so
  4. If approved, asked to sign paperwork and see a unit (not always on the same day). If not approved, you may never hear anything else at all, OR you may be put on a waitlist
  5. If you accept the unit, sign lease. If you accept the waitlist spot, keep note of when you have to reach out to them to keep you on the waitlist (every six months, I think?)
  6. Wait some more until move-in/until someone else's unit opens up/until hell freezes over

I haven't heard of anyone else being asked to go in for two interviews and then at the end of the second interview, with papers not even yet sent off to HDC, immediately being offered to see a unit.

I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery