Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Transportation is slowly improving. Second Avenue Subway should open up this year. 7 train to Hudson Yards is running. Construction at PGA has begun. Cuomo announced a $27B plan to rehab stations and get more subway cars.

Infrastructure still needs A LOT of work though, especially the Hudson River train tunnels.

NYC seems to be doing much better than our neighboring cities. DC's WMATA had major safety issues that require major emergency work to repair. Philly's SEPTA found significant cracks in 1/3 of all its subway cars, essentially bringing their system to a halt. Boston's Green Line expansion got nixed (or postponed indefinitely) due to significant cost escalation.
I had a chance to ride dc metro and philly septa system this year. From my experience dc metro is light years ahead of nyct. DC metro was clean and subways ran on time. Philly septa system is comparable to nyct, some lines even had express service. However philly subways was dirty, homeless people, kids dancing for a buck or two. I did not experience a delay on septa system. Nyct has a long way to go. Also America in general is far behind in public transportation compared to Europe, Asia and to some extent Latin America.

Philly subway cars seems to be cheap. When I rode septa I can pry open the subway car doors. DC metro cars were old too. All northeast cities need better mass transit funding from the department of transportation. What needs to be done is a linkage between DC, philly, nyc and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I had a chance to ride dc metro and philly septa system this year. From my experience dc metro is light years ahead of nyct. DC metro was clean and subways ran on time. Philly septa system is comparable to nyct, some lines even had express service. However philly subways was dirty, homeless people, kids dancing for a buck or two. I did not experience a delay on septa system. Nyct has a long way to go. Also America in general is far behind in public transportation compared to Europe, Asia and to some extent Latin America.
If DC didn't have constant safety issues that resulted in greatly reduced service, I'd agree.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't buy that, what percentage of the city's population do non-immigrant transplants make up?
Im not sure. But I read an article that said that the city current culture is transient oriented at the moment. I'm not sure how long this will last. Also transient types have purchasing power. Locals to a lesser degree do not.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
I felt like the DC metro stations were hotter than the ones in NYC. I also dislike paying more for distance. Cost me $7 to go one way to the end of a line that was probably half the distance of the A train. Blegh.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If DC didn't have constant safety issues that resulted in greatly reduced service, I'd agree.
Nyct is far worse in my opinion. A storm can shut down the whole system. Look at the L train for example. Don't get me wrong dc metro had a software issue that shut down the city for nearly 2 days. A month ago DC metro had a big flood, however flooding in subways is normal in NYC.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Nyct is far worse in my opinion. A storm can shut down the whole system. Look at the L train for example. Don't get me wrong dc metro had a software issue that shut down the city for nearly 2 days. A month ago DC metro had a big flood, however flooding in subways is normal in NYC.
We'll have to disagree on what's worse. When it becomes so dangerous just to ride the systen that they shut it down for days just to inspect, that's a major problem. When fires caused somebody to die in the system, that's worse than the system being shut down due to flooding. When trains have to use a single track for trains in both directions for weeks at a time, I think that's worse than the MTA.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on what's worse. When it becomes so dangerous just to ride the systen that they shut it down for days just to inspect, that's a major problem. When fires caused somebody to die in the system, that's worse than the system being shut down due to flooding. When trains have to use a single track for trains in both directions for weeks at a time, I think that's worse than the MTA.
Well? You mean you. Nyct is lhorrible in my opinion. If Nyct transit is better, I bet you would eat food off of the floor in Nyct decrypt station. Also Nyct I'd very over crowded.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well? You mean you. Nyct is lhorrible in my opinion. If Nyct transit is better, I bet you would eat food off of the floor in Nyct decrypt station. Also Nyct I'd very over crowded.
It is overcrowded, but it gets me from Point A to Point B safer and more reliably than DC would. NYC would shut down if the subways don't run at all for a couple of days. Cleanliness doesn't matter when you can't use the system (I do think it's one of the dirtiest systems that I've been on).

Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How NYC in 2016 the rent, people, skyline, transportation, jobs etc.

NYC GOOD, Fire BAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: