Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,548,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
You can hit with your fist; it's permissible. It provides more power at the cost of control. It's simply not effective at the higher levels given that control and shot placement is key. Control first, then build up power.
Very true, but you can also make a powerful shot if you whip it. Plus, the speed is faster. That's just my opinion, don't get offended. lol. I'm just saying, just in case. You never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:21 AM

259 posts, read 266,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Very true, but you can also make a powerful shot if you whip it. Plus, the speed is faster. That's just my opinion, don't get offended. lol. I'm just saying, just in case. You never know.
I agree. Whipping is another powerful approach, with an open/cupped hand instead of a closed fist. I'll whip many shots but not all. It depends on the situation.

IF you can control it, give whipping combined with a closed fist a try. Massive power -- just be prepared to go fetch your home run.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:24 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,548,134 times
Quote:
I agree. Whipping is another powerful approach, with an open/cupped hand instead of a closed fist. I'll whip many shots but not all. It depends on the situation.

IF you can control it, give whipping combined with a closed fist a try. Massive power -- just be prepared to go fetch your home run.
hahaha...I'm good, kind of too old for this kind of powerful Hercules muscle. Whipping and fist hitting the ball were never my style of playing even though I agree that it change the game, like making you the winner. I am more of the person that just enjoy having a nice exercise with people that I know in the park. Overall, I enjoy a lot by playing handball.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,391,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
No. In real tournaments using a fist is usually considered a "violation". That is the way they ruled it when we played in Florida. But honestly most people who play recreationally do it. I use the palm of my hand. Never use fist.
But the USHA says it's legal according to samyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Hitting with the fist is perfectly legal per the USHA rules.

Wallball is the name assigned to one-wall big-ball handball for future Olympic inclusion - maybe 2024 summer games. Here the homegrown NYC sport is going world-wide! There is another game already called handball in the Olympics so an alternate name had to be used.
They could call it one wall handball?

Wallball to me sounds kind of juvenile, but if it gets into the lympics that would be awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Hey l1995, come to Grand St Chinatown, Manhattan, across the D train station, there's a handball court. Plenty of good players. Come and see what you got. lol. I look forward seeing you there. By the way, there are some cocky players, and I look forward for you to help me beat their ass up and make them stay in the corner and cry.
Haha I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet, I need to practice a little more first. Is it one of those courts that's so crowded that you have to wait like an hour just to get on the court?

But yeah I LOVE beating cocky players, when they lose they often make excuses like "I wasn't trying".

Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Yup, exercise and a good time. Best way to play handball. Why else would I play at 9am when it's already 90º out

Grand St courts have good players. Usually there's a wait unless you stay undefeated on the court. Nearby, Vesuvio and Seward Parks have courts that aren't as crowded but not as many players. For good games, head up to West 4th courts, great players there.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Yup, exercise and a good time. Best way to play handball. Why else would I play at 9am when it's already 90º out

Grand St courts have good players. Usually there's a wait unless you stay undefeated on the court. Nearby, Vesuvio and Seward Parks have courts that aren't as crowded but not as many players. For good games, head up to West 4th courts, great players there.
I like it to be somewhat crowded, but not so crowded to the point you have to wait, and then stay undefeated once you get on. Plus I have a feeling there will be cocky people who will want to skip you in line.

Sunset Park or Midwood have what I'm looking for, I think.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,187,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Really? Hitting the ball with the fist is officially authorized and totally legal.
Not in the tournaments I played at in Hollywood,FL. The were a very organized league & went by the book. Basic play like here in NYC that is not part of a league probably are not as strict. But with the league play the rules were followed. Outside of that. Yes, Always saw people use their fist.And played against many people that did use fist. I never did though. Not many could beat me. Ever. They needed their fist to try though. But in legal rules & league play it is not allowed. Would have to look it up & post link. It must be listed somewhere.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,187,938 times
Quote:
You can hit with your fist; it's permissible. It provides more power at the cost of control. It's simply not effective at the higher levels given that control and shot placement is key. Control first, then build up power.
Not in real true competitive league play & tournaments I played at in Fla. If someone used their fist when I played in competitive league in So. Fla the referee/umpire will call it. It was never allowed.

But some people need to use fist to win. But real competitive play you do not use fists in OneWall Handball. But the league I played at in Fla did not allow fists. Anyone can make their own rules or change the ones that exist. It's not like Professional sports are these days. I am sure they don't test for Steroids in handball.

We are all just used to casual play in NYC. Are there are real bonafide leagues that anyone knows of in NYC? Or even on LI. If anyone knows of one let me know. I would love to get in touch with them.And they could straighten this dispute out. But anyone can make their own rules. These are the type of tournaments that are not just casual play like we see in NYC parks now & for decades. Everyone that plays wears gloves. No many that play for fun in NYC do that. There are umpires/referees Coaches,Manager involved here.

Leagues can always make their own rules if they want. Most leagues I knew. Including one I played at in Fla. Said no fists. Guess some prefer normal play. And not people trying to win just by punching the ball with fist. Never enjoying playing against people that felt the need to use fist every time.

But who knows if they changed rules. Have not played there since 2006.

You don't see that in your average everyday type of play on all the NYC...even LI courts daily. I am talking about real bonafide league play here.

Last edited by loribell38; 08-19-2016 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Not in real true competitive league play & tournaments I played at in Fla. If someone used their fist when I played in competitive league in So. Fla the referee/umpire will call it. It was never allowed.

But some people need to use fist to win. But real competitive play you do not use fists in OneWall Handball. But the league I played at in Fla did not allow fists. Anyone can make their own rules or change the ones that exist. It's not like Professional sports are these days. I am sure they don't test for Steroids in handball.

We are all just used to casual play in NYC. Are there are real bonafide leagues that anyone knows of in NYC? Or even on LI. If anyone knows of one let me know. I would love to get in touch with them.And they could straighten this dispute out. But anyone can make their own rules. These are the type of tournaments that are not just casual play like we see in NYC parks now & for decades. Everyone that plays wears gloves. No many that play for fun in NYC do that. There are umpires/referees Coaches,Manager involved here.

Leagues can always make their own rules if they want. Most leagues I knew. Including one I played at in Fla. Said no fists. Guess some prefer normal play. And not people trying to win just by punching the ball with fist. Never enjoying playing against people that felt the need to use fist every time.

But who knows if they changed rules. Have not played there since 2006.

You don't see that in your average everyday type of play on all the NYC...even LI courts daily. I am talking about real bonafide league play here.
There are several leagues, so I'm sure rules vary between them.

But the most official regulatory association of handball (USHA) pernits striking with the fist.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM

In casual play some people will fist. Good players rarely use it; you can get more effective and varied shots overall with an open or cupped palm.

Less league play in NYC and more tournament play (King of the Courts, Red Bull Slaps just a few weeks ago). Best handball players are in NYC (1-wall at least). NYC players go around to Florida, Cali, LV etc... not often the other way around. I'm not as familiar with 3 or 4 wall. That scene seems more common out of the city with leagues, colleges, the Y, and such. A lot of times it's small ball as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City