Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,551,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Will Bed Stuy and Bushwick have the same fate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If they do, they still have a long ways to go.
Probably not...I think the gentrification of Brooklyn will probably loose steam at some point and level off. Might sound crazy but that's my prediction. All the low hanging fruit has been picked...the close in areas that have quick convenient train service into the city. Bushwick and Bed Stuy are very large areas that don't have as much going for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 PM

491 posts, read 373,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Probably not...I think the gentrification of Brooklyn will probably loose steam at some point and level off. Might sound crazy but that's my prediction. All the low hanging fruit has been picked...the close in areas that have quick convenient train service into the city. Bushwick and Bed Stuy are very large areas that don't have as much going for them.
the L line repairs will seriously debilitate brooklyn. south bronx is next. it's about the trains. the 4/5 express. harlem was the buffer zone, it's gentrified now. areas around yankees stadium and up through the grand concourse will probably be a unique area of nyc next 20 years. the bronx has far superior infrastructure, history, and architecture than brooklyn.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,394,872 times
Quote:
I agree, it has to stop somewhere

Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,551,075 times
Yeah I would say the south Bronx is a much more compelling area to develop than those farther out slummy areas of BK like ENY, Brownsville, Flatlands, Canarsie, etc that are just ugly and depressing. Brooklyn is a huge place and there are many areas of it that just aren't even worth bothering with trying to gentrify IMO.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah I would say the south Bronx is a much more compelling area to develop than those farther out slummy areas of BK like ENY, Brownsville, Flatlands, Canarsie, etc that are just ugly and depressing. Brooklyn is a huge place and there are many areas of it that just aren't even worth bothering with trying to gentrify IMO.
Yeah the South Bronx, especially Mott Haven and Port Morris, might be next. I don't think it will go much further North than 160th st, though.

You can see the changing attitudes just by comparing CD posts about The Bronx from 10 years ago versus now.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 PM

491 posts, read 373,106 times
Quote:
most of brooklyn is crud. some coastal areas, incredible. there isn't a general pull tho why the dodgers left in the first place and they signed jeremy lin to save the borough. the NW area has already been done. i absolutely love south bronx to yankee stadium and why they're still here and up along the grand concourse. i envision arched bridges every few blocks over the concourse for pedestrians like venice, and train line expansion. the buildings there are gorgeous, and is a function of time where they're completely gutted and restored. bronx was built for the middle class.. brooklyn the working class, lipsticked now to cost millions. nyc is no longer working class. bronx will symbolize the middle class of nyc going forward and will represent middle class of all races and why it will remain special. i was born in the bronx, i will always love the bronx. if you're RE savvy, you get in now and not 15 years from now when kids from ohio say the bronx is cool.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-29-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 10:51 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,141,008 times
Quote:
It's already happening in Bushwick and bed-stuy where have ya been? Bed stuy has some of the most beautiful housing stock in the city. Macon st, from nostrand down to Thomas Boyland is one of the most greeniest blocks in the city. Bed-stuy is an extension of Brownstone Brooklyn. Also it's central Brooklyn, 4 stops on the A train to downtown Brooklyn, convenient to the J, Z, L, A, C and if near Atlantic even can catch the 3/4/5 train and the LIRR. And Bushwick is an extension of Williamsburg along the L line, hipster that cant afford to stay in Williamsburg anymore next stop was Bushwick. I have seen tons of young white families with young kids buying brownstones in bed-stuy and crown heights. Their children are going to grow up and say they grew up in "do or die bedstuy", and the last time a white family said that was in the 50s.

Gentrification will continue because most people just want a cheap place to live in the city that's convenient near the trains. Maybe not on a Williamsburg level but it will occur and price out locals. Most people can't even afford to buy in bed stuy anymore with prices easily over 1 million average non renovated. It's getting crazy out here including all the development. I don't know when it's going to stop but realistically it is just getting started. Brooklyn has in no way caught up even close to Manhattan prices and rightfully so. But as downtown Brooklyn becomes more of a business commercial district, I can see it coming close.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 13,758,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
It's already happening in Bushwick and bed-stuy where have ya been? Bed stuy has some of the most beautiful housing stock in the city. Macon st, from nostrand down to Thomas Boyland is one of the most greeniest blocks in the city. Bed-stuy is an extension of Brownstone Brooklyn. Also it's central Brooklyn, 4 stops on the A train to downtown Brooklyn, convenient to the J, Z, L, A, C and if near Atlantic even can catch the 3/4/5 train and the LIRR. And Bushwick is an extension of Williamsburg along the L line, hipster that cant afford to stay in Williamsburg anymore next stop was Bushwick. I have seen tons of young white families with young kids buying brownstones in bed-stuy and crown heights. Their children are going to grow up and say they grew up in "do or die bedstuy", and the last time a white family said that was in the 50s.

Gentrification will continue because most people just want a cheap place to live in the city that's convenient near the trains. Maybe not on a Williamsburg level but it will occur and price out locals. Most people can't even afford to buy in bed stuy anymore with prices easily over 1 million average non renovated. It's getting crazy out here including all the development. I don't know when it's going to stop but realistically it is just getting started. Brooklyn has in no way caught up even close to Manhattan prices and rightfully so. But as downtown Brooklyn becomes more of a business commercial district, I can see it coming close.
BUSHWICK - Work is continuing on a new development at 123 Melrose St. in Bushwick, but some critics say it will have a negative impact on their neighborhood.

The project is expected to hold between 900 and 1,000 new apartments, with 200 of them designated for affordable housing.

It will also include a rooftop pool and other amenities, like a public park and space for coffee shops and restaurants.

Opponents say the project is another sign of gentrification that may force longtime residents out of the area. The say the bulk of the apartments and the shops will be too expensive.

The architect behind the project dismissed that notion, saying the courtyards and parks included in the plan welcome community members.

Work is expected to continue for around 18 months before completion.

Work ongoing on controversial Bushwick development at 123 Melrose St. | News 12 Brooklyn

Old 07-30-2016, 05:52 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,440,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
the L line repairs will seriously debilitate brooklyn. south bronx is next. it's about the trains. the 4/5 express. harlem was the buffer zone, it's gentrified now. areas around yankees stadium and up through the grand concourse will probably be a unique area of nyc next 20 years. the bronx has far superior infrastructure, history, and architecture than brooklyn.
Lol.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 AM

Is it just me, or do the Bronx ghettos have a charm to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City