Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 AM

782 posts, read 527,140 times

Advertisements

There is reckless behavior and poor habits all around. Ideally, there would be greater enforcement of all parties. But resources are limited and while we do see increased enforcement of pedestrians every now and then (usually immediately following fatalities like others have mentioned), they are temporary and we quickly see people return to their old ways of trying to get an edge in any way they can when on the roads. It's human nature.

I know that I've become a much more defensive driver and pedestrian over the years. People seem to be more distracted than ever. Pedestrians constantly looking at their phones when crossing, drivers texting, etc. Even when I have the right of way, whether as a pedestrian or driver, I'm checking for traffic. I admit that I do jaywalk often but it would be incredibly inefficient not to do so. Pretty much everyone jaywalks. It's a matter of doing it responsibly (for example, only when the road is truly clear and when there is good visibility, and never in areas where there are multiple streets merging).

Cyclists are another issue. Again, as a pedestrian, I'm constantly watchful when crossing. As a driver, I am very cautious when making turns. I think also there probably is a bit of a learning curve here as most people are not used to sharing the roads with cyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:11 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You don't know what you are talking about and the personal experience of city living (thread member) below just contradicted you. Just wanted to point it out for everyone.

Okay---semi-correction: So I just looked at something that says jaywalking is not really a thing in Florida. (No law on the books regarding jaywalking.) However, there are laws that you can break in terms of crossing the street. Regardless, in some of these circumstances, the pedestrians are supposed to yield to traffic, not just cross when they feel like it. And the likelihood of someone running across the street in front of Florida traffic would be close to nil due to how many drivers there are on the road there. I've been in areas of Orlando where trying to cross the street is absolutely daunting---but they're not built for pedestrians.

I think what my sister was talking about was something that was brought up when they were discussing the SunRail and they posted up signs that said, "Crosswalk Law Enforcement Operation." I don't know if they ever really went into ticketing people for not obeying such a thing. Also, downtown Orlando is a much different animal than a lot of Orlando---it actually is pretty walkable and my guess is they were planning to possibly give out tickets when the SunRail was going, they were having events, etc. when people might just be waltzing across the street.

When I was in Germany, I found people to be VERY obedient. Much like NY, you have a lot of foot traffic, many cars, many people on bicycles, trams, buses, etc. Everything flows much better there, traffic-wise. We found ourselves being the obnoxious people crossing when it technically wasn't our light, but funnily enough once we did that, other people started following us.

I agree with you MC305---there needs to be more awareness from everyone---pedestrians, drivers, bikers, etc. I don't have a problem with jaywalking, for example, when there are no cars and a clear line of sight, but I have had plenty of people walk in front of my car when it's my light or on a winding road with almost no visibility start walking their toddlers across the street (at a place with no pedestrian crossing) and couldn't even be bothered with the fact a car is probably coming. I also think everyone could benefit from being more defensive.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
the worst is Williamsburg, the hipsters will attack your vehicle at the slightest perceived slight against their birthright ownership and ruling of the streets

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
^ That makes sense. Hipsters are mostly transplants. In many parts of the country, there aren't many walkers so drivers will yield to them when they encounter them. The transplants are used to having drivers yield to them so when some don't, they easily get offended.

Native NY'ers generally don't have that mentality because they are used to not being polite to so they don't get all roused up if a driver is pushy.

I know when I travel to other parts of the country, cars will stop and wait for me to cross, anticipating my crossing even before I get off the curb on the other side of the street.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I know when I travel to other parts of the country, cars will stop and wait for me to cross, anticipating my crossing even before I get off the curb on the other side of the street.
Which, ironically, is an a**hole thing to do on the drivers part. Instead of being able to quickly cross after the car zooms by, the pedestrian now has to wait for a slow car and some endless back and forth of "you go first". It's so inefficient, NYC is how it should be - no wasting time

Old 08-10-2016, 11:09 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Oh I agree. As a pedestrian, I would rather just let the cars go first so that I don't feel rushed to cross because a bunch of cars are waiting on me.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,363 times
Quote:
Oh I agree. As a pedestrian, I would rather just let the cars go first so that I don't feel rushed to cross because a bunch of cars are waiting on me.
That's why I dont like crossing at intersections with stops signs in all directions. I'd rather go to one where the main road doesn't have a stop sign and wait for traffic to clear.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 AM

436 posts, read 564,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Which, ironically, is an a**hole thing to do on the drivers part. Instead of being able to quickly cross after the car zooms by, the pedestrian now has to wait for a slow car and some endless back and forth of "you go first". It's so inefficient, NYC is how it should be - no wasting time

This "back and forth" is hardly a problem in other places and as a pedestrain, I'd rather deal with that instead of trying to guess the whims of a driver. What you call "inefficient" is much safer for anybody crossing a street. People in vehicles have some protection; a person crossing a road does not.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
This "back and forth" is hardly a problem in other places and as a pedestrain, I'd rather deal with that instead of trying to guess the whims of a driver. What you call "inefficient" is much safer for anybody crossing a street. People in vehicles have some protection; a person crossing a road does not.
NYC is probably not really for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City