Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Are you sure it's only 1% white? I thought NYCHA was like 7% white

I've seen white people in the Jacob Riis houses

And I doubt you would be the victim of a crime, but some developments are safer than others.

The wait as a single person with no kids would probably be very long, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are you sure it's only 1% white? I thought NYCHA was like 7% white

I've seen white people in the Jacob Riis houses

And I doubt you would be the victim of a crime, but some developments are safer than others.

The wait as a single person with no kids would probably be very long, too.
Yes, correct about the long wait.
But it is 1% whites only, I researched it.
Thanks fior replying.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:35 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
You will have to wait years for public housing.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:43 PM

26 posts, read 88,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Are Caucasian whites really that endangered in nycha?
Is this the reason why it is so rare to find Caucasian whites in nycha?

I wished they would open up again the Section 8 application list, because LLs prefer to take in Caucasian Whites!

My other options would be

Move in with family - :-(
Rent a room only - :-(

I will apply, to nycha, I will probably get n4, so I will have to wait many years!

And hope that the Section 8 list will get opened up soon!

Thanks for replying, macny!...:-)
NYCHA is supposedly run by computer but hardly anyone gets called in bc N4 but you will get a higher chance under Working Priority. There are two list in NYCHA.... After updating my application in July 2014, the categories they put me in are Working Priority 1, Need based 4. 5 months later, I get an interview to see if I'm eligible for NYCHA. The rep told me that the computer chose me bc of my W1 status, which is a high priority (according to NYCHA). I'm now on a waiting list for a 2 bedroom for my daughter and I for a development in Manhattan. Bc I chose this development and its a 2 bedroom, my wait time, Unfortunately, is longer. I've been certified since April 2015, first apply in 2012. I was supposed to get a one bedroom but then my daughter turned 6 yrs old and NYCHA was like you're no longer eligible for that. So whatever they put you in, is a wait. You should still apply anyway.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
It's 4% white, not 1% white

Old 08-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYC199 View Post
NYCHA is supposedly run by computer but hardly anyone gets called in bc N4 but you will get a higher chance under Working Priority. There are two list in NYCHA.... After updating my application in July 2014, the categories they put me in are Working Priority 1, Need based 4. 5 months later, I get an interview to see if I'm eligible for NYCHA. The rep told me that the computer chose me bc of my W1 status, which is a high priority (according to NYCHA). I'm now on a waiting list for a 2 bedroom for my daughter and I for a development in Manhattan. Bc I chose this development and its a 2 bedroom, my wait time, Unfortunately, is longer. I've been certified since April 2015, first apply in 2012. I was supposed to get a one bedroom but then my daughter turned 6 yrs old and NYCHA was like you're no longer eligible for that. So whatever they put you in, is a wait. You should still apply anyway.
Thank you for your very informative and helpful reply!

Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's 4% white, not 1% white
oh, ok, thanks, I must have looked on an older statistics then, thanks, good to know!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 PM

546 posts, read 763,710 times
you wana be my baby moms, im lookin for my queen to make babies. more babies=more $$.
stress free life the american dream

Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
I think you should apply first and see how long you have to wait to even hear back from them. Some people don't hear back until like 10 years after they put in their application. When you are called for an interview, do some research on the neighborhood, and decide whether you want that location or not.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 16,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
I am a single, white, Caucasian woman and plan to apply at nycha for an apartment.
I have researched and found that of the current tenants living in the nycha buildings

53% are black
43% are Hispanics and Latinos
1% is white
3% others.

The 1 % White are mostly Asian Whites.

And it also means that out of 100 tenants only 1 is white.

How dangerous is it to live as a single, Caucasian, white woman in a nycha apartment?

How high is the danger that I get raped, robbed and killed?

Should I apply or should I look for another solution?
What the other member said about toughening up is true. Just know what that means. Don't allow anyone to speak to you in any manner, which u can correct w/o being argumentative...becareful of easy friends real friendships grow over time and ensure your friends have the same interests. No longer are the stereo types of NYCHA i've been in Park Rock consolidated in the Ocean Hill/Brownsville site (they have 7 sites, each site has several walk up buildings). There's MTA workers here nurses, ratchet botches and crack heads too. It's a mixed bag. I say hello to all but is friends to none and have a neighbor or 2 I may converse with and buy snack for her kids from time to time. I keep my distance from the crack dealer, pay the drunk to go to the store (he's harmless) and stay FAR AWAY from the ratchet *******.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City