Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 AM

762 posts, read 610,514 times

Advertisements

Are most of you against this? I asked something about Airbnb rentals in Brooklyn and Queens on Tripadvisor and man did I get attacked for it. They acted like NYC was the only city affected by it. I live in San Diego and in some areas (especially around the beaches) almost every sign you see when driving in search of rentals, is for a vacation rental only (not specifically for Airbnb though....same idea). It's made finding a rental harder and when you do find rentals, the prices of course go up due to supply and demand. Less than a year ago the average cost for a 1b1b in San Diego was $1500. It's now over $1600. I know that's nothing to complain about to NYers though! I don't think though that it should be made illegal to offer short term housing. I believe in free enterprise. It also allows for people not to have to sell or for close their property. Either way, someone is affected by it.

I'm planning on returning to NY for 4 nights in the fall and want to stay either in Bay Ridge, Carroll Gardens,Forest Hills, Rego Park, or Jersey City in NJ and don't care if I'm in a hotel or apartment. I just want a small fridge, toaster (to toast my NY bagels!), and ideally a microwave. Within a 5 minute walk to a subway stop as well... With corporate codes before tax I seemed to find hotels for $120-$170 before tax (only the Candlewood Suites though have toasters)! With Airbnb apartment stays I could find a studio or 1 bedroom with all those things and they would be between $80-$145 (that's including service fees and cleaning fees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Are most of you against this? I asked something about Airbnb rentals in Brooklyn and Queens on Tripadvisor and man did I get attacked for it. They acted like NYC was the only city affected by it. I live in San Diego and in some areas (especially around the beaches) almost every sign you see when driving in search of rentals, is for a vacation rental only (not specifically for Airbnb though....same idea). It's made finding a rental harder and when you do find rentals, the prices of course go up due to supply and demand. Less than a year ago the average cost for a 1b1b in San Diego was $1500. It's now over $1600. I know that's nothing to complain about to NYers though! I don't think though that it should be made illegal to offer short term housing. I believe in free enterprise. It also allows for people not to have to sell or for close their property. Either way, someone is affected by it.

I'm planning on returning to NY for 4 nights in the fall and want to stay either in Bay Ridge, Carroll Gardens,Forest Hills, Rego Park, or Jersey City in NJ and don't care if I'm in a hotel or apartment. I just want a small fridge, toaster (to toast my NY bagels!), and ideally a microwave. Within a 5 minute walk to a subway stop as well... With corporate codes before tax I seemed to find hotels for $120-$170 before tax (only the Candlewood Suites though have toasters)! With Airbnb apartment stays I could find a studio or 1 bedroom with all those things and they would be between $80-$145 (that's including service fees and cleaning fees).
There's a motel in South Brooklyn that's like 90 dollars a night and a 5 minute walk to the N train. It's a little far out from Manhattan, though.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
I'll share a microcosm of how it takes rentals off the market and pushes prices up. I spend most of my time in Miami beach and about ten days a month in NYC. Was doing this for two years and for a year of that, would rent my place in soho on air bnb. This effectively took my apartment off the rental market. My building sent notice of not allowing air bnb anymore and were proactive in enforcing this. I decided it was no longer worth paying +$4000 / month for ten days, so did not renew my lease.

One mans story, but done thousands of times over, it makes a material difference.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:14 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I have no problem if you own a house to air bnb it. I do have a problem if its in a shared building whether you rent your apartment or own it. I don't want random strangers in my apartment building all the time. I want tenants who live there, that actually care about the building and neighborhood, are invested in keeping it a nice place and being considerate of their neighbors.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I have no problem with the concept of AirB&B which, again, came about only because of the rip-offs of hotels.

However, maybe there should be a distinction between someone who wants to rent out his apartment for a week or two, possibly to make some money off an event (for instance, if a presidential convention were taking place here) and someone who does it constantly. LivingSingleNYC is right that no one wants to have a constant stream of strangers in one's building

Old 08-06-2016, 05:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I don't mind Airbnb...I almost never stay in hotels, so when I'm traveling it's either Airbnb or hostels. I do agree with Cida and livingsinglenyc in that the person should either own the place or do it occasionally.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM

762 posts, read 610,514 times
I think the average person who is getting an apartment from Airbnb is respectful. Granted you would notice the loud ones who trash buildings.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I think the average person who is getting an apartment from Airbnb is respectful. Granted you would notice the loud ones who trash buildings.
I lived in a co-op building where some tenants constantly did air bnb. They'd get a lot of youngings who were anything but respectful. Numerous people in the apartment, partying, coming home late drunk and loud. It became a problem with the security. I didn't live there long enough to know what the building ended up doing but many of the tenants were not happy about those who did air bnb.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 PM

404 posts, read 456,755 times
Isn't this what hotels are for? If people want to get into the leisure and temp housing business, they should open an actual hotel instead of turning my condo building into one.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
No to Air BnB in shared buildings. I spent part of my time in Cuba this year in a casa particular and I think state & local governments could model there law after that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: