U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is he guilty?
No 43 53.09%
Yes 38 46.91%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,453,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would say 99% of criminals leave some form of dna evidence at scene. The minority are the ones that are like some professional assassin ninja. But from the police side DNA is only effective if you have someone to link it to.

Maybe, but my point is that the criminal here was sloppy since he/she did not even make the minimum effort to cover tracks other than to run away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,915,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Time frame is also an issue.

Girl went jogging at 5pm, the call about her missing didn't come until 11pm or so.
Every story I read said the father contacted his police chief neighbor at 7pm. I think she was found at 11pm but I'd have to confirm that. What source says the police weren't called until 11?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 AM

7,066 posts, read 8,071,941 times
"When she didn't return, her dad called the police just after 5 p.m., and they pinged her phone. It showed she was in the brush near the park's jogging path. Her dad was the first one to discover her body 15 feet from the jogging trail shortly before 11 p.m., Boyce said. "

Hundreds Mourn Slain Jogger Karina Vetrano at Her Funeral : People.com

pinged her phone...I assume the police started to proceed sometime after 5pm

Old 08-09-2016, 09:28 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,915,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I was reading an article about this on dnainfo or gothamist

I can't remember at the moment..anyway, one person kept alluding that her and her father had a very very "close" relationship. And the day he didn't go jogging with her, she ends up dead. AND he found the body.

Probably hogwash, but something to think about.
While I'm sure the police have eliminated the father as a suspect, the story doesn't add up that he contacts the police when his world-traveling daughter is an hour late from a jog and he's the one who finds her, at night with searchlights, in tall grass. Just look at where she was found and imagine locating her body here at night.

Maybe whoever did this had some vendetta against the family and called the father after she was killed. That's a wild guess but I get a Sopranos vibe from some of the statements from the family.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 AM

The father knows the area & knows her typical running route. Why is it surprising he finds her after pinging the estimated location of her.

Yes the father is neighbors with the police. Its surprising they use resources to move this quick. If it was strictly by the books, a person isn't missing until 24 hours.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM

9,843 posts, read 22,057,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Maybe, but my point is that the criminal here was sloppy since he/she did not even make the minimum effort to cover tracks other than to run away.
Ehh could be a couple of things. Whoever did it may have not planned to kill her and was surprised by how much of a fight she put up. The suspect might have been in shellshock and just ran out of there instead of thinking of what to do to dispose of evidence.

It could also be that they were careless because they know they are not in DNA bank and felt that they could get away with it.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 AM

223 posts, read 191,684 times
I'm curious as to the reason this is a "huge story"? What makes her death significant? I didn't read the article.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM

9,843 posts, read 22,057,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
I'm curious as to the reason this is a "huge story"? What makes her death significant? I didn't read the article.
It's a mix of things. One she was very attractive, two the family has some nypd/fdny connections. three people like unsolved mysteries.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's a mix of things. One she was very attractive, two the family has some nypd/fdny connections. three people like unsolved mysteries.
also rape/murder when there is daylight is highly unusual in NYC.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 AM

1,869 posts, read 914,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
While I'm sure the police have eliminated the father as a suspect, the story doesn't add up that he contacts the police when his world-traveling daughter is an hour late from a jog and he's the one who finds her, at night with searchlights, in tall grass. Just look at where she was found and imagine locating her body here at night.

Maybe whoever did this had some vendetta against the family and called the father after she was killed. That's a wild guess but I get a Sopranos vibe from some of the statements from the family.
If so, why would the father not tell THIS to the police that he got a call?

She was 2 hours late from the jog, she left at 5:00, the father called the police at 7:00. Two hours is a long time for a jog in the scary weeds!

I do not know why but I have the feeling that this woman was meeting somebody in the weeds, who then became her killer. And the father maybe knew about it, but he does not know whom she met. I think the parents know more than they want to admit. Also, the mother's speech has a somewhat strange vibe, for me.

That's my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City