Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Not so in Queens. We have these "street cleaners" here in their uniforms, they come twice a week, with their trash dumpsters and garbage bags, brooms and shovels, and they pick up all the garbage that people throw on the floor. It's part of "community service," I guess.
That's all over the city. Pretty much all the BID's have those crews. I think it's mostly ex-cons that do that work. Might not be the worst thing to expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Isn't Singapore the place where they chop your head off for spitting on the sidewalk? Maybe that's what we need...
You are thinking of the middle east. They cane you if you are disorderly in Singapore. Not saying that is city we should strive to be like, its another mess of a city that is slowly getting worse.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:11 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,615 times
[quote=louie0406;45066907]Oh I know. And that's why I live in Queens! I dont understand the appeal of living in manhattan. It's congested, overpriced, filthy and is dealing with a homeless crises. I literally step over homeless people on my way to/from work in the heart of Midtown. This mayor should be embarrassed![/QUOTE

Yes, I agree. It;s depressing.
One should only work in Manhattan and live in Queens!!!!!!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Homeless issue is not only bad in Manhattan. The homeless have been using the Fordham Road B/D station as a personal bathroom for about 3 years now. They camp out a lot in there as well.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,615 times
Quote:
That's all over the city. Pretty much all the BID's have those crews. I think it's mostly ex-cons that do that work. Might not be the worst thing to expand.
Oh, I noticed it only in Queens. i think it's community service.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Oh, I noticed it only in Queens. i think it's community service.
Maybe we are talking about different things. I am talking about the guys that wear the red uniforms. I forget the name of the program...

Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Newark and jersey city are pretty filthy too although the nonpresence of the subway probably doesn't make it as bad.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:24 AM

83 posts, read 71,085 times
I was expecting that most answers would point to the city's residents as a problem. I agree with that but it's mind boggling to me that all these third world lowlifes and domestically grown ghetto scum can't be kept in check somehow? My plan is to slash welfare spending by over a half, tear down the ugly projects, replace that population with orderly civilized citizens/immigrants and put the money that was saved into infrastructure rebuilding programs. What's the point of paying over half of my income in taxes if it all gets wasted. I'm a European immigrant and I think this kind people should be kept on the outskirts, not in the center of the world's great metropolis.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM

782 posts, read 526,730 times
I could be wrong but I think the OP was mainly asking why the city infrastructure seems under-maintained, not why it's dirty.

To the OP, which areas of NYC have you been to? I guess maybe I'm too used to it, but I don't really find NYC to be much different from other major European cities like London, Paris, Rome, etc. NYC has some good parts and some bad parts, but overall it just feels old. All the skyscrapers also make Manhattan feel kind of dark and less clean at times. And I don't really know, just thinking out loud, but aren't the taxes higher in Europe in general? So those areas might have more money to take care of the cities and their people?

I will say the tube in London is much nicer and cleaner than NYC's subways.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Isn't Singapore the place where they chop your head off for spitting on the sidewalk? Maybe that's what we need...
I love that country & their rules!

yes we need that but this is the same city where its citizens complain about big government......smoking in bars....sugary drinks.....calories posted....now salty foods posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City