Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times

Advertisements

Has anyone checked out the new store? It was just too hot and muggy for me to walk over.

A friend checked it out over the weekend. She said it's nice, but smaller than Trader Joe's Chelsea. She said she saw only one floor. I thought that was odd because I read somewhere that the grand opening on Friday was postponed because an escalator wasn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:55 AM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
It was nice to have the update, thanks, so I walked by a couple of nights ago - and at 9:30pm in the evening, the line was outside the door!

So much for that. It made a bad enough impression that I have no immediate plans to shop there. I have no idea why New Yorkers, famously short on time, are willing to wait so long for something so mundane.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM

Low prices, and items you can't get anywhere else!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Why do they do this stupidity. They always open tiny stores so you have people wrapped around the block and it's a c.ock fight to get anything from the shelves. The 6th ave location is pretty spacious but that's the exception. They could EASILY support stores 3-4 times as big

Old 08-16-2016, 02:18 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Why do they do this stupidity. They always open tiny stores so you have people wrapped around the block and it's a c.ock fight to get anything from the shelves. The 6th ave location is pretty spacious but that's the exception. They could EASILY support stores 3-4 times as big

Like most other supermarkets in NYC, TJ's goes with spaces it can get and then makes things work. This new store once was a Food Emporium...

Unless it is new construction few supermarkets have the luxury of getting spaces designed for that purpose, especially in Manhattan where often large ground floor retail space is often hard to find. Think the largest supermarket in Manhattan can remember was the Pathmark off the FDR Drive.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Like most other supermarkets in NYC, TJ's goes with spaces it can get and then makes things work. This new store once was a Food Emporium...

Unless it is new construction few supermarkets have the luxury of getting spaces designed for that purpose, especially in Manhattan where often large ground floor retail space is often hard to find. Think the largest supermarket in Manhattan can remember was the Pathmark off the FDR Drive.
Except that this is not a Manhattan policy it's an everywhere policy. The store in Maspeth is tiny and always completely overrun. They do it everywhere even when real estate is plentiful and affordable

Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Trader Joes pays its employees well above the minimum wage and they get good benefits. Since Trader Joes sells its items at low prices, they depend on massive volume to make money. They delicately don't have huge half empty stores and deliberately do t try to be on every block like the old Gristedes or KeyFoids use to. They know what exactly what they are doing in terms of expansion, store size, and crowds. Notice it's the half empty grocery stores that are all going out of business.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 29,599 times
This TJ is only a block from me and I stopped in a few times. On Sunday, it was pretty quiet but on Monday night, it was packed. Still, the longest wait has been less than 5 minutes. The reason it's only one floor is because there is no room for items or cashiers on the top floor, so you need to take an escalator downstairs. This is pretty commonplace with nearby groceries like Fairway and the dreaded Gristedes. Once downstairs, TJ's aisles and shelving is very spaced out. I thought they had a lot of space to add more inventory later on. The employees were very nice and helpful, and I found all the snacks I usually get at the TJs in Union Square and Chelsea.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you thought it was roomy!

So you're saying you take an escalator one floor down, and the entire store is on that floor? That would be good, in my opinion. I've only been to the Upper West Side TJ once, but I found it kind of disorienting. I avoid my local three-level Duane Reade for that reason.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Since Trader Joes sells its items at low prices, they depend on massive volume to make money.
They sell at low prices because they don't deal with any middlemen. They are their own distributor, they commission all their packaged good straight from the factory and produce from the growers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City