Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM

31,760 posts, read 26,716,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I am running around in a black suit; I think i lost 5 pounds over the last week. Being in the subway stations underground is even worse. I go right home to A/C, cold flavored seltzer. I love the Summer but whoa its been an endurance test!

IMHO it isn't so much the temps, which haven't really be exceedingly high, but the almost constant dampness/humidity. Now that one thinks about it for the past few years dampness/humidity is the one constant. It is either cold and damp or warm and humid.

Don't mind heat as there are things you can do to cope, but humidity is another story. You leave your house in the morning and by the time you walk one block you've begun sweating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:22 AM

928 posts, read 1,099,087 times
Yeah yeah yeah. And when I was growing up I had to walk 5 miles to school uphill - both ways! We all made our own toys out of sticks and some rope. My family could only afford to feed me twice a day, and one of the meals was just some breadbwith salt on it. In those days nobody got cancer, we were all happy and life was a peach.

Just because you had a miserable childhood with no AC doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live without one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Having grown up in NYC during the 1970's and 1980's when many places did not have AC (including our home except for a few rooms, thanks to tight fisted Dad, *LOL*) have to say much of the panic about heat is in your head.

Neither my elementary or high school had AC, few family members had central AC and those with window units often weren't overly generous..... Places you went from church to offices didn't always have AC. NYC buses and subways it was a crap shoot and mostly not. I can remember as kids and teens everyone would try to be the first on the "specials" (NYC buses that ran school routes) to nab a seat near a window for the breeze.

Staten Island was largely still rural suburban so all that open land helped keep down heat. You could leave your windows and doors open for a breeze (helped by a fan), and on really hot nights the streets would be crowded with adults sitting on porches/stoops and kids playing.

After dinner Dad would often pile us kids into the car and along with Mom we'd go for ice cream. If it was Dad and us kids alone that trip could be (and often was) to his local. There he'd have a few cold ones while we kids either got glasses of soda pop or finished eating whatever cool treat purchased before arriving.

Recall working in plenty of offices that didn't have AC. In fact watching Kojack the other night brought back memories. No AC in that place except for window units, and only top people got those. Needless to say the guys were sweating bullets.

Living on SI the great thing about going home from the City was taking the ferry. Those old boats you could sit outside and catch a nice breeze.

Growing up you could always tell who had AC or not; those that didn't had the main door open and just the "screen" door closed. Those who had AC places were shut up tight. Of course when the AC was on all kids would hear was "hey, do you think I work for Con Edison? Stay in or out, the AC is on".... That or "if you come in this house one more time you're staying in..."

Of course living on SI plenty of people had pools in their back yard. If you did not often a friend or family member would invite you over. Sometimes the moms would just decide it was too hot to cook and an impromptu BBQ/pool party was arranged with several families from the block or perhaps relatives came over.

Getting back to original query having known what heat is and living without AC am able to cope well enough now by relying on my upbringing. I keep the blinds/drapes closed, move about as little as possible, wear as little as possible and take plenty of showers.

Really don't like sleeping with AC on (dislike recycled air) so if can help it would rather not.

Thing about heat like this is to remember the old ways: you get up early and do anything that involves "work" and or heat (such as cooking) early in the day before things heat up. My mothers and grandmothers were often up at the crack of dawn during the summer. They'd have much of the housework and a good part of what would be for dinner done before lunch.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
I was outside most of yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,278,811 times
I got one of these Lasko floor blowers for $50 from Walmart. Works better than any fan I've had. Unfortunately they don't let Walmart do business in NYC, but Home Depot has more expensive versions. Got to love how government restrictions cost the people more money. Either way, both are likely sold out by now.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 AM

31,760 posts, read 26,716,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Yeah yeah yeah. And when I was growing up I had to walk 5 miles to school uphill - both ways! We all made our own toys out of sticks and some rope. My family could only afford to feed me twice a day, and one of the meals was just some breadbwith salt on it. In those days nobody got cancer, we were all happy and life was a peach.

Just because you had a miserable childhood with no AC doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live without one!

Judging by the miserable soul you grew into can certainly say my childhood was streets better than yours.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,834,803 times
Spending weekends upstate (Columbia this time). Great climate in Otsego County. There the weather only scorches for about 2 hours in high noon, then the climate turns breezy with a slight chill.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:36 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,046,897 times
I remember heatwaves years ago it would be hot for 3-5 days then a cold front would bring thunderstorms and knock the temperature down 20 degrees and take the humidity away and the heatwave would be over. In recent years the cold fronts have been puny and the temps remain hot although maybe a few degrees cooler. It seems like this summer has been hot since after July 4th.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I am running around in a black suit; I think i lost 5 pounds over the last week. Being in the subway stations underground is even worse. I go right home to A/C, cold flavored seltzer. I love the Summer but whoa its been an endurance test!

Everything black is anathema this month. WHITE and LOOSE is your friend.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,924,418 times
The worst august i could remember of since I moved here. I was expecting fall weather in NYC after august 10 but that is not the case this year. Makes me wonder again if the "global warming" is real or not.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,201,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
The worst august i could remember of since I moved here. I was expecting fall weather in NYC after august 10 but that is not the case this year. Makes me wonder again if the "global warming" is real or not.
So you are still wondering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City