Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Err, um it can get very warm in June, and we were still in school.Ditto for September when we went back. So there.

; same effect as sitting under a the shade. Hence apartment buildings in NYC and elsewhere once had awnings outside. Heavy fabric drapes do help keep light and heat "out". More so if the drapes are lined with various materials designed for various thermal properties. In Europe such as Paris, France apartment buildings long have had heavy shutters that allowed windows to be opened, but kept out light and some hot air, though the things may have had adjustable slats. In fact shutters are common in many places known to be warm or even very hot.

No, these things alone will not result in a dramatic cooling but they do help.

Have a large Wallmaster that is perfectly sized for my place. Keep it set at 73 or 74 because don't like AC and use large fans to move air about. Oh and also am sort of cheap so keeping the AC set high saves on the ConEd bill. Am not one of those persons who needs their house to feel like the frozen food section of a supermarket.

Oh, Bugsy, I can see you skipped your thermo classes and perhaps physics as well.

Keeping sun/light out of rooms has been a standard way of keeping close long before anyone thought of drapes
Keeping sunlight out of rooms works IF you can keep the sunlight OUTSIDE your window. Once high energy radiation enters through the glass it is there to stay. Once high energy photons hit something non transparent it is converted to low energy heat, aka infa-red radiation that cannot penetrate the glass to exit. So once IN it's IN. If you effectively use shutters to stay cool they must be on the OUTSIDE, otherwise there is no avoiding the heat from the light.
Thus once light has entered your room you have lost the battle.
Inside draperies that heat up are of no use in keeping cool.

Yes, awning are valuable to keep heat from sunlight out, but arguing for the value of drapery is like arguing for the value of awnings INSIDE your living room.

Err, um it can get very warm in June, and we were still in school.Ditto for September

Very nice, but we are in August and suffering the heat of AUGUST. Schools are very much closed in August because it is HOT in August. The subject of the thread is the current heat wave so whatever happens in June or September is not really relevant.
I never went to Summer School...you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
The worst august i could remember of since I moved here. I was expecting fall weather in NYC after august 10 but that is not the case this year. Makes me wonder again if the "global warming" is real or not.
Fall Weather does not start until early-mid October here...most years.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
Lived without A/C in the Mediterranean climate for a couple years as well as several places in the US without A/C. For the most part, you try to keep out the sun as much as possible (Italians have the heavy, wooden shades to pull over the windows). Other factors like higher ceilings and tile or marble flooring help keep temperatures down. I've often relied on the time-tested box fan as well to keep the air circulation moving.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
i went to work saturday and now i will get an extra day when the fall comes and can really be out.
better to sit at my desk in the a/c and have coffee and get credit for it, i had nothing planned for theweekend anyway, so it was a win win situation for me.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does ConEdison send you Christmas cards?
Not yet =(

Old 08-15-2016, 01:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
My A/C is set at 77/78 and is on a timer(10am-2am) and a sensor (when it drops below 77 degrees in room temp or outside temp - it shuts itself off). HUGE benefit to my ConEd bill.

And nothing refreshes quite like water - carbonated or regular.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Oh, Bugsy, I can see you skipped your thermo classes and perhaps physics as well.

Keeping sun/light out of rooms has been a standard way of keeping close long before anyone thought of drapes
Keeping sunlight out of rooms works IF you can keep the sunlight OUTSIDE your window. Once high energy radiation enters through the glass it is there to stay. Once high energy photons hit something non transparent it is converted to low energy heat, aka infa-red radiation that cannot penetrate the glass to exit. So once IN it's IN. If you effectively use shutters to stay cool they must be on the OUTSIDE, otherwise there is no avoiding the heat from the light.
Thus once light has entered your room you have lost the battle.
Inside draperies that heat up are of no use in keeping cool.

Yes, awning are valuable to keep heat from sunlight out, but arguing for the value of drapery is like arguing for the value of awnings INSIDE your living room.

Err, um it can get very warm in June, and we were still in school.Ditto for September

Very nice, but we are in August and suffering the heat of AUGUST. Schools are very much closed in August because it is HOT in August. The subject of the thread is the current heat wave so whatever happens in June or September is not really relevant.
I never went to Summer School...you?

You obviously do not understand the difference between curtains and drapes. The whole point of the second is to keep light *OUT*. You also missed the part of my post regarding "depending upon materials...". And yes, according to the United States Government Department Of Energy using various window treatments can help with keeping a house/room cool. Energy Efficient Window Treatments | Department of Energy So please spare me your snarky lecture and comments.

Forgive me for not confining my post to the month of August and going on about heat in general. Not all of us are so anally retentive to read a general sentence including the word "tonight" as meaning strictly within the exact time and place. For the record my high school like others *was* open by the last week or two of August for the Fall semester, while full classes may not have begun until September various things did take place that required attendance if you were involved (orientation, certain sports, etc...). By college mine like others had moving in day and or even classes beginning by the second to last or final week of August. So there!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Running 2 ACs in my one bedroom. Keeping it nice and cool in here. I'm bundled up in my winter jacket while drinking hot chocolate and making smores.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
You obviously do not understand the difference between curtains and drapes. The whole point of the second is to keep light *OUT*.

So then you have drapes OUTSIDE your window? I'll bet your landlord LOVES that look.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I was visiting my daughter this past weekend (north of the city - Newburgh area) and I ran both days. It was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City