Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times

Advertisements

It makes perfect sense. It's a govt. program (I know, I know, that's my litany, but I've been to four of these rodeos...and I appreciate that I'm getting rather tiresome on this topic, but even the guidelines say it can take a year from application to approval). What's that famous song? "Stop Making Sense"? That's a marketing agent's anthem. I heard from HPD that, in their words, I'm "still active" in Copper. In the meantime I was called for a property in Brooklyn (extremely low log number, like below 100), and the process was just so much easier. I generally emerge from these "intake" sessions on the verge of an ulcer, but this Brooklyn experience was so different. It was nice not to be treated like a homeless criminal while applying for affordable housing. Don't hesitate to call HPD and ask what's going on. I've found HPD quite helpful. There's no reason to sit and stew. Call and find out. Calling doesn't count against you--this is HPD's job. Again, good luck. Sometimes I think the process is the most frustating for those in the CB, because they get called first and so have the longest wait. For a Manhattanite to get called for Brooklyn development, means the development has been long underway, and so the wait is of course shorter, if that makes sense, which it likely doesn't. They've been ready to go for a long time, and I'm just getting called in at the end of what has likely been a long wait for those CBers. Maybe that does make sense. Now I'm worried! I'm sure you realize that these huge buildings release apts. in blocks, and these blocks of units can include market rate and subsidized units, or not, and then there's a pause. And it can be a long pause before another block of apts is released, and not all of these blocks will include subsidized units. Look at yourselves as caught in the pauses.

And just because they're calling people out of the CB with low numbers doesn't indicate things are necessarily moving. It means they've gone through the CB list, and are building a stock of eligible candidates for when things do move, because not all the the CBers will continue to qualify.

Last edited by Moving415; 07-19-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM

104 posts, read 116,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by its.nelle View Post
have you been able to schedule? its been a week now....
Nope. I called him 40 times today.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

87 posts, read 91,063 times
I was contacted via email on Wednesday July 12th by April Wade at Breaking Ground to schedule an interview for 626 1st Ave - the American Copper Building. I replied right away confirming that I would like to schedule an interview. It's been a week and I have not heard back about the interview. Anyone know exactly how long that turn around should take? I remember reading somewhere that the interview is supposed to take place 2 weeks after the initial contact. That can't be so if we haven't even scheduled an interview yet - a week after the initial contact. Anyone have any insight?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM

87 posts, read 91,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygaga1 View Post
I was contacted last month, the asked for standard interview docs (financials, employment info etc..) And there was an in-person interview .
Hi Ladygaga1

How long between the first email / letter was the interview? I was contacted via email last week Wednesday July 12th to schedule an interview but have heard nothing back. How long do they give you to gather your documents?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM

79 posts, read 94,235 times
I was contacted by phone for my first interview (by a different interviewer, not April Wade) so I was able to make my appointment on the spot, but now it seems like everybody is having trouble getting through. I don't know about the two-week from initial contact deadline, but if you really can't get through you might try going to their office. The address is 330 West 42nd Street, 14th Floor -- it's between 8th and 9th Avenue, next to the Port Authority. Good luck !

Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulartist View Post
Hi Ladygaga1

How long between the first email / letter was the interview? I was contacted via email last week Wednesday July 12th to schedule an interview but have heard nothing back. How long do they give you to gather your documents?
I was contacted on the 13th and my interview was on the 29th of the same month, so that's how long (16 days) I had to gather my documents. It was all stuff I had access to, so it wasn't a problem.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:37 AM

207 posts, read 355,303 times
I don't know what's going on with them these days, but back in Jan it was super easy to contact them and I scheduled an interview right away ... they should be pretty flexible with interview dates in case you need some extra time to gather paperwork, and you can always submit additional documents later on!
Good luck getting in touch, get ready for a long process lol

Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Hi ladygaga1 -- have you heard anything from BG, HPD, or even the developer lately? Your file was approved by HPD a long time ago, right? But have you heard anything about when you might sign a lease. I was just told that I was approved last week (after I emailed to ask) but so far as next steps, all they would say is that the developer will be in contact. But no hint as to WHEN. Have you heard anything? Do you have any ideas what's going on for applicants who have been approved by HPD?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 AM

207 posts, read 355,303 times
Same here, I know that my file has been approved already but they didn't tell me when I can expect a call to come sign a lease and by whom.... keep in mind that I was one of the first people to view an apartment back in May and my log is pretty low so I'm pretty sure I should be one of the first to receive that call, but still nothing yet ugh

BG literally barely gives out any information

Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info, but ... YIKES !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery