Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
If the pension and the SS add up to fill the requirements of the income band, you're in good shape. Congrats! If you have other, say, brokerage and savings accounts, they must be under the neighborhood of $55,000 (or so, don't have the exact figure handy). That's a ridiculously low cap for people who have been working for 40 years, but ... best of luck. And again, bona fide retirement accounts (any type of IRA--Roth or Traditional, 401ks) are excluded from the cap. Some of the marketing agents are ignorant on this point, so I'm emphasizing it. Let us know what happens.
Hmm. I'm going to have to read the fine print of the requirements. Pension is a lump sum of $57k in an IRA at the moment. Might need to transfer some of that to get it under the limit, but I'll check it out. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
If the pension is in an IRA and it's labeled IRA, you are fine. No need to move any funds. I'm not exactly sure how a pension that hasn't been moved to an IRA is looked at. I know they ask about cash value. I've never dealt with that situation, so I'm not sure. If it hasn't been moved to an IRA, perhaps do that, with some guidance (any discount broker like Fidelity or Vanguard will be more than happy to walk you through that). You won't be taxed on it if goes directly to an IRA. Retirement accounts can be several hundred thousand dollars, and will likely need to be if you're going to manage to pay rent and other expenses once you're no longer working. Any amounts you're drawing on these accounts, though, will be added to income. That would be the only thing to watch.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:20 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
If the pension is in an IRA and it's labeled IRA, you are fine. No need to move any funds. I'm not exactly sure how a pension that hasn't been moved to an IRA is looked at. I know they ask about cash value. I've never dealt with that situation, so I'm not sure. If it hasn't been moved to an IRA, perhaps do that, with some guidance (any discount broker like Fidelity or Vanguard will be more than happy to walk you through that). You won't be taxed on it if goes directly to an IRA. Retirement accounts can be several hundred thousand dollars, and will likely need to be if you're going to manage to pay rent and other expenses once you're no longer working. Any amounts you're drawing on these accounts, though, will be added to income. That would be the only thing to watch.
Yes, I checked and it's labeled Traditional IRA. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM

91 posts, read 101,799 times
is anyone else waiting for HPD approval?

Old 06-08-2018, 04:43 PM

I got approved by HPD today!!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 PM

56 posts, read 61,625 times
Awesome! I've been praying for you!!!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 AM

thanks!! Its about time lol

Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM

43 posts, read 43,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itssha3 View Post
I got approved by HPD today!!
YESSSSSS FINALLY
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks on avg how long for bg to contact me after hpd approval

Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 AM

104 posts, read 116,318 times
Did anyone have to go through the interview process twice? I had my initial interview last summer and was later placed on the waitlist. Yesterday, I was asked to come in again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery