Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM

311 posts, read 292,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have noticed for several months now plenty of young guys and girls driving buses in Manhattan lately. Especially the late after noon trough evening/overnight hours. Had a young blood the other day going down Lexington Avenue. A woman asked what was his next stop and the driver said he didn't know. Woman asked how could he be driving a bus and not know his route... Driver shot back "because am new...".
I'm sure no one knows everything when starting a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Employees eventually get old and retire, making room for younger people.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Does anybody know if bus drivers get "training" when they change routes to become familiar with it? Or do they just get sent out there? When I used to ride the bus more often, I'd see some drivers keep looking at a slip of paper attached to their dash. Wonder if it's directions or a schedule.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Does anybody know if bus drivers get "training" when they change routes to become familiar with it? Or do they just get sent out there? When I used to ride the bus more often, I'd see some drivers keep looking at a slip of paper attached to their dash. Wonder if it's directions or a schedule.

Think they are trained once (classroom and street), then that is that if they pass. It is like driving any other motor vehicle; after learning the basics the destination/route is a simple matter.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:34 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Think they are trained once (classroom and street), then that is that if they pass. It is like driving any other motor vehicle; after learning the basics the destination/route is a simple matter.
In that case I think it's certainly understandable if they don't know the route well when they first start.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
In that case I think it's certainly understandable if they don't know the route well when they first start.
While they may not know a route well enough to make those announcements, driving is another matter. I mean bus stops are clearly marked so it isn't like you cannot see them in advance.

In fact find can tell newish bus drivers by the ones that stay on the right and won't pass or bust a move even if that lane is slow as molasses in winter.

OTOH have seen veteran divers "stick and move". If no one is standing in or near that bus stop they keep on keeping on.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 AM

128 posts, read 115,257 times
We are supposed to stay on our right lane the whole time except when obstructed because the right side mirror points only to the back tire so we don't run over anyone and the rear view mirror is supposed to be pointed towards the windows on the right to help see anything on our right

Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
I've seen them doing training runs with empty buses. Sometimes the bus will say something to that effect on the front.

Anecdotally I also happened to be on the front of a c train downtown like two weeks ago when the operator was being trained on the job. I had never seen that in all my years here but then again I don't always ride the front car.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
While they may not know a route well enough to make those announcements, driving is another matter. I mean bus stops are clearly marked so it isn't like you cannot see them in advance.
I once had a argument with a MTA bus driver who missed my stop. He insisted it wasn't a bus stop. I took his badge down & called the MTA. MTA confirmed it was still a bus stop and took my info. I assumed he was reprimanded

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I once had a argument with a MTA bus driver who missed my stop. He insisted it wasn't a bus stop. I took his badge down & called the MTA. MTA confirmed it was still a bus stop and took my info. I assumed he was reprimanded

Some drivers simply do not play!

Have been nearly or passed over while waiting for the M10 because a driver claimed he or she "didn't see me" or "you weren't at the bus stop".

To be fair think sometimes bus drivers are darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

They aren't supposed to open the doors once bus has pulled away from the curb to let someone on or off; yet people run up and start banging on the door. Sometimes driver will open the doors, sometimes not....

When you consider how slow some of these bus routes are just missing one (especially during off peak hours and certainly over night) is a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City