Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:20 PM

589 posts, read 1,215,132 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving into a 2 BR with a friend at 169 east 102nd street for $1200. Looking at google maps... this area is right next to the projects which makes me concerned about the safety of the neighborhood. For reference, I am currently living in Bayside, Queens which has no safety issues. Is the price for the 1 BR worth the potential safety risk? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:34 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Are we supposed to predict the likelihood of you getting robbed?

Would you like me to tell you tomorrow's lottery numbers while we're at it?

If you gotta ask - then don't move there!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are we supposed to predict the likelihood of you getting robbed?

Would you like me to tell you tomorrow's lottery numbers while we're at it?

If you gotta ask - then don't move there!
Lotto numbers would be nice. I was hoping someone who is living there/have lived there recently could shed some insight. If someone asked about Bayside I would highly recommend it in terms of safety. I would also be able to recommend decent rental prices for Bayside and I hope a realtor/resident would also be able to tell me if this is a good deal. No need to be a negative nancy

Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 PM

64 posts, read 175,761 times
Is it $1200 for the whole apartment, or does that cover 1 of the 2 bedrooms?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,751,098 times
Have you actually visited the area? Its right across the st from a police station actually. Lots of cool new places to eat have opened up all over lexington ave from 102st down, the train station is around the corner. Totally not as bad as you may assume just cause theres projects nearby. Guess you dont get around much.

Btw im a real estate agent and have put lots of new people on 102st from 3ave all the way to madison actually. I dont want to make this a race thing but lots of people who need tanning have moved in like crazy all over that area. I have put 12girls, 6 dudes on your block alone in the last 2yrs. A few of my friends also live on that block and 101st and lexington as well.

Seriously you will probably get robbed or attacked hanging out near columbus circle or herald square or downtown if it makes you feel better. Is this area where you want to pick grapes, probably not but its not bad at all and still has great pricing.

Whats the reasoning for the move if i may ask?

Last edited by silverbullnyc; 08-18-2016 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,184,662 times
^^^^^^^^^^^

Rule #1, OP: Don't ever listen to or trust real estate agents haha

Old 08-19-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Have you actually visited the area? Its right across the st from a police station actually. Lots of cool new places to eat have opened up all over lexington ave from 102st down, the train station is around the corner. Totally not as bad as you may assume just cause theres projects nearby. Guess you dont get around much.

Btw im a real estate agent and have put lots of new people on 102st from 3ave all the way to madison actually. I dont want to make this a race thing but lots of people who need tanning have moved in like crazy all over that area. I have put 12girls, 6 dudes on your block alone in the last 2yrs. A few of my friends also live on that block and 101st and lexington as well.

Seriously you will probably get robbed or attacked hanging out near columbus circle or herald square or downtown if it makes you feel better. Is this area where you want to pick grapes, probably not but its not bad at all and still has great pricing.

Whats the reasoning for the move if i may ask?
To live in the city for a year and a bit closer to work. I work in Tribeca and I am currently beholden to the LIRR train schedule. Living in the city would mean I could leave anytime and not worry if i'll miss the train. I haven't been to this side of the city in over 6 years... not since I attended Hunter. I hear the 4/5/6 trains are horrible to ride on these days.

The apartment is also a 5th floor walk up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4chelsea2 View Post
Is it $1200 for the whole apartment, or does that cover 1 of the 2 bedrooms?
It covers 1 of the bedrooms (15' by 12').

Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,608,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
To live in the city for a year and a bit closer to work. I work in Tribeca and I am currently beholden to the LIRR train schedule. Living in the city would mean I could leave anytime and not worry if i'll miss the train. I haven't been to this side of the city in over 6 years... not since I attended Hunter. I hear the 4/5/6 trains are horrible to ride on these days.

The apartment is also a 5th floor walk up.

It covers 1 of the bedrooms (15' by 12').
The rent really is too damned high!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,328,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The rent really is too damned high!
1200 for 1 bedroom? Wow
5 stories walkup? Wow
In Harlem?
Do not take it, bad deal.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,592,890 times
Too expensive for East Harlem imo, commute kinda sucks to TriBeCa too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City