Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
If you are terminated (and I certainly hope you won't be), then your family (with no income) will be eligible for Medicaid.
Medicaid should cover whatever therapy your daughter is receiving. (and probably more, Medicaid tends to cover more than private insurances.)
I guess, Medicaid AND foodstamps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredTeacher View Post
Unfortunately, UFT have really been of no help yet. I've contacted people as high up the ladder as I could, and it looks like I will need an attorney. I'm hoping to find one who is experienced with issues pertaining to teachers and the DOE. If anyone has a recommendation, please let me know, thank you all.
That sounds strange to me. I personally know of a few similar circumstances with colleagues where the UFT immediately stepped in and provided legal support with licensing issues. Sounds like someone may have it in for you on other grounds and they are using this issue.

What borough do you work in ? What is your relationship like with your principal ?Why did you wait until the end of the year in June to apply for the "final" extension ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-19-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, UFT have really been of no help yet. I've contacted people as high up the ladder as I could, and it looks like I will need an attorney. I'm hoping to find one who is experienced with issues pertaining to teachers and the DOE. If anyone has a recommendation, please let me know, thank you all.
I wish I have good news for you, but it seems like there's not much can be done. If I was in your situation, I will assess on whatever that can make it work. I believe you can first apply for the Medicaid once your health insurance coverage is terminated by your employer. Second, seek help from NYC Department of Homeless Services or Department of Human Resource Administration and see what service might be available to you. Lastly, be prepare to be terminated of your teaching career by looking for another job right now. It could be retail sales job, whatever it takes to keep you and your family survive. I wish you the best.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 8,285 times
No, no one has it in for me. I am well liked by my colleagues and principal. I agree that I shouldn't have waited to apply for the extension in June, I had no idea that Albany would be so back logged. Unfortunately, it is now summer and many people who normally work full time for the UFT are either out on vacation, or on a part time schedule. I can see one more person on Tuesday, though I'm doubtful they will be of any help. I feel that a competent attorney who is familiar with a situation like mine can explain the circumstances to the DOE, who in turn can have Albany expedite my application for an extension. The problem I'm having now is finding such an attorney.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:13 AM

I've never had to rely on any form of public assistance, food stamps, medicaid, etc in my life. It sounds frightening to me.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:38 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
I've never had to rely on any form of public assistance, food stamps, medicaid, etc in my life. It sounds frightening to me.
You needed the help, that's why they created these public assistance. You are not abusing the system, so is fine. People who is consciously doing is not even ashamed of applying for public assistance. By the way, if you were to be terminated, go and apply for the unemployment benefit as well, not that I encourage you to do it, but you need it. I wish everything works out for you.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
I don't mean to sound like I am bashing you....I believe some of these credits can be completed online. OP probably had years to deal with this. Anyway, I hope it works out for you

Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM

I did have years to complete my degree, and yes it can be done online. But again, my wife and child have no other family besides me, and both were extremely ill at the same time. All my time outside of work was spent taking care of both of them. That's why they're alive today.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
I feel for you...Again, I hope it works for you.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM

371 posts, read 526,400 times
Quote:
I did have years to complete my degree, and yes it can be done online. But again, my wife and child have no other family besides me, and both were extremely ill at the same time. All my time outside of work was spent taking care of both of them. That's why they're alive today.
you can probably get a job at Trader Joe's fairly easily. They provide benefits to their employees. However, I posted on here in the TJs Kips Bay thread that they are not always pleasant to work for. They just opened up a new store near Metrotech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City